Counter-Strike: Source Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot start counter-strike source at all

Hello, Steam installs and runs fine, but counter-strike source won't start at all, when start it from steam, the loading window appears, but when the cancel button disappears just before counter-strike source is about to launch, the window just disappears and nothing happends.

What platform are you on? What graphics chipset and driver?

The operating system is Linux, the graphics chipset is nVidia 7800gtx, the driver version is 100.14.19.

Has there been any progression in the investigation of this problem? I really wanna play counter-strike source.

I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you. I'm not our expert on Linux game issues. As near as I know, it's not a problem affecting a lot of our users. If you haven't already tried it, you might have Steam verify the game files. Properties dialog, local files tab, verify button.

If that doesn't help, you can try experimenting with your system configuration. Update your video drivers, or switch audio drivers, etc.

These forums aren't a primary support channel, but if you're a customer you can open a ticket. In the context of a ticket, it's easier to walk you through the steps of collecting a diagnostic log, and we can spend the time to analyze it.

Run 'glxinfo' in your terminal without the quotes
does it show direct rendering enabled?

If no
Were you running Compiz or beryl??
Had you once ran compiz or beryl??
If you are still running compiz or beryl disable it and disable xgl
Xgl is needed for compiz and beryl to run..unfortunately ..Xgl hogs the graphic card all to itself due to undeveloped drivers... so disable or uninstall it and return to X.org.

Once on xorg..Games will start fine..provided you meet the games minimum requirement and you got your drivers
If you still want composite features...you can either turn on metacitys own composite feature (if you are on gnome) or use xcompmgr ..Another compositing manager but does not need xgl...

Hello,

Im having the same problem. I can start Steam just fine, but when I go to "My Games" and double click on CSS, it would starts a popup like in windows and disappear. I have direct rendering with latest drivers for gtx280. I'm running Debian testing with fluxbox and have xcompmgr. Any idea how to get it working

Thanks

Its always worth a try to disable the in-game community overlay in Steam. Its not working anyway, and sometimes it causes the apps to crash(e.g. if you have some security modules that randomize library load addresses)

hey max .. whats ur glxinfo output like?

does it show direct rendering enabled?

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I have disabled the in-game community and I do have direct rendering enabled. When I try to use wine to start it, the debug shows a "Corrupty JPEG data" line. I dont know if this is the cause or how to fix it.

(04:20:40) max@oi:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam && WINEDEBUG=-all wine steam -applaunch 240
CellID: Fetching server list from CSDS. . .
CellID: CSDS returned 167 servers.
CellID: Connecting to 79.141.167.4:27031. . .
CellID: Connect to 79.141.167.4:27031 took 145 MS
CellID: Nothing beat our old best time of 6 MS
Corrupt JPEG data: 57 extraneous bytes before marker 0xdb

hello (:

To check if problem isnt steam related ...it will be good to do a clean reinstall of steam..( game gcf files can be backedup)

Next , if error still ouccurs , add -novid to your command... and do try -dxlevel 81 or 80 ..

Oh ya ... is there more to that error than what you have shown? i am pretty sure if you wait a while more , a long list of errors would appear..

It would be really useful to have those info...

Main problems among other users would include driver errors ...

try running nvidia-xconfig as root ..maybe it might just help..

I have just reformatted this computer and installed debian testing the other day so my steam installation is totally new. I have tried -novid and -dxlevel 80,81 but still nothing. My drivers are running good, glxgears works fine with 20K+ FPS, and I can hear sound via wine alsa (from winecfg). I have left it running for 10-15min and there wasnt much else that comes up.

(07:08:41) max@oi:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam && WINEDEBUG=-all wine steam -applaunch 240 -novid -dxlevel 80
CellID: Connecting to 119.167.242.112:27031. . .
CellID: Connect to 119.167.242.112:27031 took 248 MS
CellID: Connecting to 87.248.196.116:27031. . .
CellID: Connect to 87.248.196.116:27031 took 128 MS

Btw, your avatar pix is describing exactly what I've been doing hehe

Are you sure you're using CrossOver's version of the "wine" command? We don't install ours in one of the usual PATH locations precisely so that we don't interfere with another installation of Wine.

Another reason to suspect you're not using our "wine" is that ours doesn't respect the WINEDEBUG variable. You are using it to suppress all Wine diagnostics output. Now, this is a bad idea when you're trying to debug a problem, but the point is it wouldn't actually work if you were running our "wine", and you'd almost certainly see a bunch of diagnostic output. (What you're seeing above is Steam's own diagnostic output, not Wine's.)

So, replace "wine" with ~/cxgames/bin/wine (or /opt/cxgames/bin/wine, depending on where you installed CrossOver Games). And leave out the WINEDEBUG=-all. If you want to control the debug output from our "wine", you can set CX_DEBUGMSG or pass the --debugmsg=<whatever> as an option to the command.

Edited to add: And CrossOver Games doesn't put its bottles into ~/.wine. So, this really seems like you're not using CrossOver Games at all. Have you tried using CrosOver's GUI tools to create and configure your bottles, install software, and then run it? This might avoid all of your confusion.

ok, so I have installed the newer cxgames 8.0.0 and reinstalled steam. I redo the cmd as you suggested and let it sit for 15 min. and the output msg is still the same thing.

(05:12:30) max@oi:~/cxgames/bin$ ./wine ~/.cxgames/winxp/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe -applaunch 240 -novid -dxlevel 80
CellID: Connecting to 87.248.209.213:27031. . .
CellID: Connect to 87.248.209.213:27031 took 114 MS
CellID: Nothing beat our old best time of 12 MS
CellID: Connecting to 87.248.209.214:27031. . .
CellID: Connect to 87.248.209.214:27031 took 162 MS

i am starting to doubt that these errors has anything to do with wine , crossover or steam

This is so as ther results are consistant despite various tries.

I got a hunch ( or what ever you spell it..i am not a native english speaker) that the error is due to your graphic card's driver..

just a gues...thats all

Max, one of the things I said earlier was wrong. Sorry. Our wine does ignore WINEDEBUG, but it also suppresses Wine's diagnostic messages by default. So, to see the Wine diagnostics, you should pass "--cx-log=-" as an option to the wine command. (You can specify a file instead of "-", if you prefer to log to a file.)

Another thing to try is to set the launch options for CS:S in Steam. Try passing "-window -width <w> -height <h>" with reasonable values for <w> and <h>. If that works, then you can set your preferred video settings in the game and remove those launch options.

ah thank you ken, now with --cx-log=- it gives some error msgs. It seems to be complaining about no opengl but I have the driver up and running good with direct rendering as shown from my glxinfo output at the bottom,

(20:53:30) max@oi:~/cxgames/bin$ ./wine --cx-log=- ~/.cxgames/winxp/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe -applaunch 240 -novid -dxlevel 80 
fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000100, 00000000): partial stub.
fixme:urlmon:CoInternetSetFeatureEnabled 5, 0x00000002, 1, stub
fixme:urlmon:CoInternetSetFeatureEnabled 10, 0x00000002, 1, stub
CellID: CSDS returned 172 servers.
CellID: Connecting to 114.80.71.114:27031. . .
CellID: Connect to 114.80.71.114:27031 took 337 MS
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x197cf8)->(1 00000002 0x1717fc8)
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x197cf8)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsBrowser (0x197cf8)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x197cf8)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x1982d0)->(1 00000002 0x1718068)
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x1982d0)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsBrowser (0x1982d0)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x1982d0)->(ffffffff)
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationA (hwnd=0x10092, filter=0x33de60,flags=0x00000004),
    returns a fake device notification handle!
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
err:d3d_caps:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat.
err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
err:d3d:WineDirect3DCreate Direct3D9 is not available without opengl
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x1b2fe0)->(1 00000002 0x1712a20)
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x1b2fe0)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsBrowser (0x1b2fe0)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x1b2fe0)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:OleInPlaceObject_InPlaceDeactivate (0x1b2fe0)
fixme:shdocvw:OleInPlaceObject_UIDeactivate (0x1b2fe0)
fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x1b2fe0)->(1)
err:d3d_caps:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat.
err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
err:d3d:WineDirect3DCreate Direct3D9 is not available without opengl
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0xd073d4 "?" wait timed out in thread 001f, blocked by 0020, retrying (60 sec)
(21:00:25) max@oi:~/cxgames/bin$ 

glxinfo output

(20:58:57) root@oi:/home/max# glxinfo 
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 280/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.0.0 NVIDIA 185.18.36
OpenGL extensions:

OK so after some fiddling, I have found the problem and solution.

The problem was that I installed the Nvidia driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.36-pkg2.run and it couldnt install opengl for 32bit (Im on debian 64bit testing). This was probably due to some path changes. I then tried installing the driver again the "debian way" with "m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source", and this still didnt work due to the same path change problem.

The solution I found was to install the nvidia-kernel-source and drivers from the unstable distribution, which can be done by changing the apt-get sourcelist to unstable. This worked perfectly, css started with cxgames. However, if you try to mix different builds/dist, you have to becareful as to not mess up dependcies; for now, I can frag in peace.

Thanks so much everyone for your helps.
Max

1 to 18 of 18

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUk5FQVR1N1RzZXB1SEdoYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9