Dungeons & Dragons Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cursor bug when switching window focus

I encountered two problems, one minor, one serious:

minor - in full screen the resolution will not change from 800x600 to another res. Changing the display resolution causes a 800x600 square of the screen to be displayed in front of the linux desktop. My desired resolutions worked fine in windowed mode.

major - if I change window focus, when I return to the game the cursor does not appear. Mouse movement and clicks are still tracked, but only a change in the cursor made it re-appear. My client often crashes right after it loses the focus. I will attempt to submit a report with wine output from a crash.

Walter Moore wrote:

minor - in full screen the resolution will not change from 800x600
to another res. Changing the display resolution causes a 800x600
square of the screen to be displayed in front of the linux desktop.
My desired resolutions worked fine in windowed mode.

In ~/Documents there should be a folder for DDO, check the UserPreferences.ini file, the resolution is in there, try altering it and seeing what happend when you launch it.

Yes, I set the full-screen and windowed resolutions by hand in UserPreferences.ini, but no dice.

(Hmm, now full screen pops up the dreaded "corestrings.dll is missing id 131" error.)

Walter Moore wrote:

Yes, I set the full-screen and windowed resolutions by hand in
UserPreferences.ini, but no dice.

(Hmm, now full screen pops up the dreaded "corestrings.dll is
missing id 131" error.)

If the corestrings.dll file has vanished there might be one in the backup directory. I have seen that error
recently from someone else and they told me what they did but I can't find it now which is annoying.

The only other thing I can think of for the screen size is running winecfg via the run a windows
command button and seeing what is set on the graphics tab, for my LOTRO bottle I just have
'Allow windows manage to decorate' and 'Allow windows manager to control' set and I can
change resolution.

The Display section of my UserPrefs is

[Display]

RefreshRate=Auto

AllowFakeFullScreen=False

Resolution=1280x1024

FullScreen=True

TripleBuffering=False

SyncToRefresh=False

AllowWindowResizing=False

Antialiasing=Disabled

WindowedResolution=1152x900

AllowDesktopCompositing=False

ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=True

I changed these fields in UserPreferences.ini:
AllowFakeFullScreen was set to True
AllowWindowResizing was set to true
...changed both to False.

and now it works. I will see about breaking it again to get more insight..

I will try windowed mode also and see if the cursor focus issue is still with us.

Also, here is my winecfg Graphics tab:

yes, giving another window the focus still makes the cursor disappear.. accessing the Help menu switched the game to windowed mode (presumably because of the way it re-displays IE) and I could not close the help window or interact with the game.

Codeweavers Ticket for this bug:
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=683061

There is now also an actual bug entered for this issue, so if you see it elsewhere (LOTRO?), please submit a ticket to advise of this.

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/bugs/search/?bug_id=4167

Thank you!

Update.. there have been some client changes in DDO for mod 8, and I can work around this bug by un-setting "Allow the window manager to control the windows" and telling wine to emulate a virtual desktop. When you alt-tab away it stays in the background, and when one alt-tabs back all is well.

I found this bug related to LOTRO - I'm guessing it should affect DDO as well.
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16136

[i]Linux: 2.6.26.6-79 (Redhat distro)
X.Org X Server 1.5.0
Window manager: fvwm 2.5.24 (running with virtual screens)

When running Lord of the Rings Onine in full screen mode, if I switch screens
away from the app and then switch back, the app is hung, or at least can't
redraw.

A workaround is to not let the focus go to the desktop is by commenting out the
SetForegroundWindow() call in event.c, X11DRV_FocusOut().

------- Comment #1 From Eric Sandall 2008-11-22 16:58:02 -------

Created an attachment (id=17410) [details]
Fixes focus crashing LoTRO MoM on some machines

This happens with wine 1.1.9 as well. The issue started after the Mines of
Moria (Volume II - Book I - Mines of Moria) patch was applied. Before that
patch, losing focus worked fine.

I tried the patch at
http://appdb.winehq.org/commentview.php?iAppId=4891&iVersionId=14566&iThreadId=42785:
--- event.c~ 2008-11-07 11:09:33.000000000 -0500
+++ event.c 2008-11-20 13:10:15.000000000 -0500
@@ -685,7 +685,7 @@
if (hwnd == GetForegroundWindow())
{
TRACE( "lost focus, setting fg to desktop\n" );

• SetForegroundWindow( GetDesktopWindow() );
  • //SetForegroundWindow( GetDesktopWindow() );
    }
    }
    }

As mentioned by the Requestor of this bug, and that patch fixes this issue.

I have attached a patch which removes the entire focus check, however I would
like to point out this bug is not happening on every box. I will do more
testing to try and find the culprit, but this is happening with the WM set to
Enlightenment DR 17 20081121 on one box, but not KDE 3.5.10 on a different box.
I do not believe this is the proper fix, but it does fix the issue for some.[/i]

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE1NzkzNDc5LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUTZSU1htU3NTSG1VQ1RnYiIsImdkcHIiOjB9