FL Studio 9 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Asio Driver (wineasio) HOWTO

A problem running FL Studio via CX is often the high latency. Either try to lower it to the cpu max via the setup-panel or, if it isnt low enough, try installing WINEASIO, this will give you a fully implemented Asio Driver in Wine. If you cant get it to run in CX try it in Wine first and see how it works. (Wineasio will send it sound over jackd, so jackd will be required!)

Get Wine-Asio here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wineasio/
For 64bit users it might not work, instead use this version:
http://people.jacklab.net/drumfix/wineasio-x.tgz
For Debian/Ubuntu users there is a deb file availiable:
http://homerecording.de/~4damind/hr/wineasio-x_0.3.deb
CAUTION! The deb file is most certainly out of date and maybe not functional on 32bit systems, as i have not tested it yet.

If not in your Distros Repository, get jackd source here:
http://jackaudio.org/download
If not in your Distros Repository, get qjackctl source here:
http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/

Get the wine-dev files here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id=77449

For a decent jack interface get the qjackctl package. It will provide you with the jackd sound server deamon (if your distro solves dependencys automaticly, other wise you have to get jackd seperate) and a jack interface. Be sure to configure and start the jackd BEFORE launching FL Studio. The you still might have to patch the FL Studio output to the jack input, which can easily be done via the connect panel in qjackctl.

For Compiling the Wine-Asio Driver you will need the asio.h file out of the Asio SDK, which is not under any free licence. You will have to create an account at Steinberg to get it. (As its listed under 3rd Party devel tools)
Also required for compiling is the wine-dev and libjack-dev.

Further Instructions will be included in the winasio source code.

IMPORTANT: you probably have to take the generated wineasio.dll and copy it into the /windows/system32 folder of your FL bottle.

Then when doing the "regsvr32 wineasio.dll" as stated in the wineasio README you have to put the WINEPREFIX command in front (especially if you have wine installed):

WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.cxoffice/flbottle/ regsvr32 wineasio.dll

After succesfully implemented wineasio, you only have to use winecfg and select ALSA as the ONLY soundserver.
Then in FL Studio select the WINEASIO driver.

To launch FL Studio: 1. start qjackctl

1. launch jack server via qjackctl
  2. launch FL Studio

Thats about it. Dont hesitate to start n bump a post on the forum on the topic if you need help.

This is great stuff! Along with your response regarding vorbis in the other thread I'd have to say that FL 9 with CX in OSX 10.6.5 is silver status because I've got everything working now. No missing samples, all the demo's play perfectly, all the synths come up. The last and only issue is the latency, specifically MIDI keyboard latency which I assume is audio latency. FL 9 shows it using "Built in Audio driver" I can select my actual hardware in the drop down in FL but doesn't seem to do anything. I can run the latency down to 1024 which is palatable but 512 would probably be perfect. I'm a bit apprehensive about the wineasio. Is this a Mac OSX utility? If not what are the options?

Ken-

Ken wrote:

This is great stuff! Along with your response regarding vorbis in
the other thread I'd have to say that FL 9 with CX in OSX 10.6.5 is
silver status because I've got everything working now. No missing
samples, all the demo's play perfectly, all the synths come up. The
last and only issue is the latency, specifically MIDI keyboard
latency which I assume is audio latency. FL 9 shows it using "Built
in Audio driver" I can select my actual hardware in the drop down
in FL but doesn't seem to do anything. I can run the latency down
to 1024 which is palatable but 512 would probably be perfect. I'm a
bit apprehensive about the wineasio. Is this a Mac OSX utility? If
not what are the options?

Ken-

someone is attempting to port Jack to mac which might help you out: http://www.jackosx.com/
after a quick google search someone claims to have gotten it to work: http://www.meskalina.it/blog/index.php?entry=entry071002-222040 http://www.meskalina.it/blog/index.php

yes, jack is being ported to osx :)
but aside from Jack, wineasio already has support for OSX for a while, it has been merged with WASIO which was wineasio for mac.
Although its a bit less stable atm, but OSX support is there.
I dont have any means of testing it on OSX, but there should be some information on the sourceforge page of wineasio about it.

BOOM! It works! wineasio is the bomb. No need for JackOS unless you want to pipe somewhere else. Latency is about 12ms which is just a TON better than what it was. I can now play live directly into FL. I had to search around for all the info as it's in a bunch of different places and it's a bit misleading since it insinuates that you need Jack to get it working, which you don't. I'm putting together a quick cheat sheet on how to set it up and will post later. Frigin awesome, works better with Xover on the Mac than it does on my Win box! Guess I should buy Xover now 😊

Ken-

Ken wrote:

BOOM! It works! wineasio is the bomb. No need for JackOS unless
you want to pipe somewhere else. Latency is about 12ms which is
just a TON better than what it was. I can now play live directly
into FL. I had to search around for all the info as it's in a bunch
of different places and it's a bit misleading since it insinuates
that you need Jack to get it working, which you don't. I'm putting
together a quick cheat sheet on how to set it up and will post
later. Frigin awesome, works better with Xover on the Mac than it
does on my Win box! Guess I should buy Xover now 😊

Ken-

Awesome! High-fives

Would you mind sharing what you had to do to get it running? Could prove to be quite useful for following OSXers.

Good to know Jack isnt required. Less dependencies -> less hassle!
Now i gotta check if it maybe even isnt required for linux....

So one more thing I found that doesn't seem to work is a continuous controller message from my keyboard. Pitch bend seems to be accepted but FL shows "green = undefined" in it's midi monitor when I move the mod wheel and synths don't respond to it. It's being accepted but it doesn't know what to do with it. I've got an external MIDI interface (MOTU MVP AV) that my keyboard is plugged into. Do I need to install drivers for this thing in Xover? Not sure if it's a FL thing or it's a MIDI interface/core midi thing.

Ken

hello,
please try the midi learn function. to do this, right click the pitch mod wheel in FL-Studio (in the plugin settings window, not the interface window) and hit midilearn/learn/something along those lines. when the new window pops up, move the mod wheel, and it should automatically close the window, with pitch bends now working.

The option is "Link to Controller", its in almost every control's right click menu in FL.
Once in there, move your knob, then the value should change to the midi signal. Just accept and it's linked.
Different thing with VST, but only a little.
Some plugins don't have the "Link to controller" in the right click menu of their controllers.
But instead click on the down-arrow in the top left of the plugins window and select "Browse parameters".
Then, in the Samplebrowser, it should open a list with all available controls for that plugin.
There you can right click the control of your choice and select "Link to controller".

greets

• lopho

lopho wrote:

The option is "Link to Controller", its in almost every control's
right click menu in FL.
Once in there, move your knob, then the value should change to the
midi signal. Just accept and it's linked.
Different thing with VST, but only a little.
Some plugins don't have the "Link to controller" in the right click
menu of their controllers.
But instead click on the down-arrow in the top left of the plugins
window and select "Browse parameters".
Then, in the Samplebrowser, it should open a list with all available
controls for that plugin.
There you can right click the control of your choice and select
"Link to controller".

greets

• lopho

hello, just to clarify, the person is looking for the pitch bend effect, which is not a plugin setting. its part of the plugin wrapper, called "channel settings". you double click the plugin in the step sequencer. 2 windows should open up. the vst plugin interface, and the channel settings window. the channel settings window is where pitch bend is assigned. right click the "pitch" knob and link that. if it is done this way, pitch bend will be linked globally(as it should be), instead of in just 1 plugin.

Thank you guys that did the trick!! It's working like a champ. I'm lovin it. Here is a quick write up I did on how I got everything working. Thanks to Lopho on a lot of this. The rest was just experimenting... Cheers

Ken-

FL Studio 9 on MacOSX using Crossover:

This document will tell you everything you need to do to get FL 9 working in Crossover on OSX. I actually installed FL 9 first and then did all this afterward. You can do it either way but some of the instructions may assume it's already installed.

Start CrossOver
Goto Configure -> Manage Bottles -> Advanced tab
Click the bottle you will install FL into (the default xp bottle or "Other Application")
Click the "Open C: Drive in Finder" button
Navigate to Windows -> system.ini and double click to edit.
At the end of "system.ini" type in "MSACM.vorbis=vorbis.acm"
Save the file

Goto Configure menu and choose "Install Software"
In the Select Application expand "Runtime Support Components"
Select "Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable" and click Install Software

Get JackWASIO from Meskalina:

http://www.meskalina.it/dev/JackWASIO-CrossOver.zip

I ran into a small issue using the included README so here is how I did this:
Follow his instructions for installing "wineasio.dll.so" into the Xover package.
Once that is installed, start CrossOver
Click the menu Programs -> Run Command
Click the "Open Shell" button. I get two shells on my box, one is a standard OSX terminal, the other is a Crossover bottle terminal. Type the following into the Crossover terminal: : regsvr32 wineasio.dll It should register the dll. Confirm and then exit.

If you haven't installed FL Studio, install it. Start FL Studio and goto Options -> Audio Settings and select "wine asio" for sound card. It should "just work". If you get something similar to "Error while creating ASIO driver…" you may need to make the modification I did below.

This seems to be specific to Snow Leopard users (10.6). Some have mentioned that it should work fine in pre 10.6

You'll need to be able to "su root" in a terminal session to do the following file copies. Either that or login as root. This can be found by googling.

Open a Terminal app and navigate to your /usr/local/lib directory. Copy all the symbolic links in that directory to /usr/lib

When you Install FL 9 you can ignore any 1400 errors that may come up.

To register your copy of FL 9
Goto Programs menu, choose Run Command
Type "regedit" in the Command filed and choose Run
Regedit will open, from the Registry menu choose Import registry file
Navigate to where your FL registry file is and import. Done.

Fantastic! Have just managed to get FL Studio working on my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard. It appears to be fully working!

Thanks to everyone in this thread as I couldn't have done it without reading here first.

I was able to follow your guide Ken up to the bit about "Error while creating ASIO driver". I checked out the /usr/local/lib directory but it didn't exist on my Mac. So I did a bit more Googling and found that JackOSX (http://www.jackosx.com/) creates that directory. So I installed the 32bit-Only version of JackOSX and then did the following -

1. Run Terminal
  2. cd /usr/local/lib
  3. sudo cp libjack* /usr/lib

And that worked! I can now use the ASIO drivers in FL. You don't need to open JackPilot (this is installed with JackOSX) before you run Crossover/FL. It's worth looking at the JackPilot Preference Menu as you can tweak some of the settings and these will work in FL. I've tried a buffer size of 256 (6ms) but 512 (12ms) is more solid.

It was a post on this forum - http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4015618 - that I found out about JackOSX and the lib directory.

Will definitely be buying the full Crossover program now - had been using the demo.

NeilB

Hi guys,

I've downloaded WineASIO 0.8, to be used in Ubuntu 10.10.

I see it's a BZ2 file. Does it need to be compiled for installing? I'm not very expert in Linux, I am in windows though.

I also read that I need a Steinberg SDK but I couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks

the asio sdk is available here:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developer.html

you will have to compile wineasio.
there should be instructions in one of the text files inside the winasio tar.bz2 archive.
Extract the whole archive.
Copy the "asio.h" file from the ASIO SDK into the wineasio directory.
install the dependencies:

either by commandline:

sudo apt-get install wine1.2-dev libjack-jackd2-dev build-essentials jackd2 qjackctl

or with your favourite package manager.

then, in the terminal do (first change to the wineasio directory [cd]):

./configure
make
WINEPREFIX=/home/USERNAME/.cxoffice/FLBOTTLE/ regsvr32 wineasio.dll

should work after that. more information is in the first post of this thread.

Ken wrote:

This seems to be specific to Snow Leopard users (10.6). Some have
mentioned that it should work fine in pre 10.6

You'll need to be able to "su root" in a terminal session to do the
following file copies. Either that or login as root. This can be
found by googling.

Open a Terminal app and navigate to your /usr/local/lib directory.
Copy all the symbolic links in that directory to /usr/lib

ive got this far, crossover and fl studio 9 with wineasio showing up in FL but returning that error.

i cant access root as i do not remember the password, formatting or using the install disc is not an option, please help its taken ages to get this far and i just want to use fl on my mac im so close

i also didnt have to do any of this to install fl or wine? should i have?

Start CrossOver
Goto Configure -> Manage Bottles -> Advanced tab
Click the bottle you will install FL into (the default xp bottle or
"Other Application")
Click the "Open C: Drive in Finder" button
Navigate to Windows -> system.ini and double click to edit.
At the end of "system.ini" type in "MSACM.vorbis=vorbis.acm"
Save the file

Goto Configure menu and choose "Install Software"
In the Select Application expand "Runtime Support Components"
Select "Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable" and click Install
Software

having an issue.
compliling makes no wineasio.dll file for me. any thoughts? i get wineasio.dll.so, but clearly that is not what needs to be copied to the win32 area.

I also get this ```
chris@chris-desktop:~$ regsvr32 wineasio.dll
err:wineboot:pendingRename couldn't get file attributes (3)
Successfully registered DLL wineasio.dll

EDIT:  
got it working in standard wine, with a deb file on the ubuntu forums  
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1241187

chris bulman wrote:

having an issue.
compliling makes no wineasio.dll file for me. any thoughts? i get
wineasio.dll.so, but clearly that is not what needs to be copied to
the win32 area.

What source are you compiling from? You are not supposed to end up with
with a wineasio.dll (from what I've read around the place) You'll end
up with a wineasio.dll.so which should be copied into $winelib ...

chris bulman wrote:

I also get this ```
chris@chris-desktop:~$ regsvr32 wineasio.dll
Successfully registered DLL wineasio.dll

..likely complaining about the fact there is no wineasio.dll file  
present (in any event, it is likely the wineasio call gets redirected  
to the wineasio winelib)

@chris

are you compiling the 0.9.0 version of wineasio?

if so, i am having troubles getting that thing to work as well, try again with 0.8.1.

registering the dll: i believe a simple symlink in the "~/.cxoffice/FLISYOURMOMMA/windows/system32" dir called "wineasio.dll" linking to the "/wherever/you/compiled/it/wineasio.dll.so" works, so maybe its worth a try.

Good evening.

I would be grateful if somebody can little bit help. I am using Fl Studio 9, and VST Sytrus Vsti little diferent versio. Now when I want to open it, I have error.I can not aproach my audio files, sapmples(I was saved).

Thank you very much.

Boki,

hi ken

i followed all u mentioned got the winasio on Fl studio but when i go to the recording part it say tat the bit rate required is needed but cannot be used select another one...
wat do i do
nd after tht my fl hangs!!!

The binary for OSX wineasio that used to be on the web thanks to the meskalina site mentioned in this thread, is no longer up. At this time, unless you have a copy of JackWASIO (osx wineasio) laying around somewhere, its not possible to get it. The source that was used to build the OSX version is not in the wineasio sourceforge repository as some reported here. The author put it in the JackOSX repository, but they are not using it there, its just saved there, the source:

[link=http://jackosx.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jackosx/JackWASIO/][/link]
http://jackosx.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jackosx/JackWASIO/

I wish either the wineasio or JackOSX community would take responsibilty for merging this code into their codebase and building it regularly, but neither group seems interested. The crux of the issue, as I see it, is that the code had to be fairly substantially modified to work on OSX, due to differences in architecture between linux and OSX (semaphores I believe). The wineasio develoepers are simply not interested or able to build on OSX. Alternatively, the JackOSX is not really interested in building it either because even though its a nice thing for connecting with Jack, its mostly outside their sphere of interest also to be using wine, or building windows DLL's for that matter.

Maybe this is something codeweavers could take on for making crossover (OSX) more useful to some of us, if it included this osx wineasio driver, that would help a lot of people that are trying to use windows VST plugins on OSX somehow.

I use this driver all the time with Crossover Games to to host jamstix, a windows vst plugin, and it works awesomely. Just wish someone would maintain this code so it doesn't dissappear into obscurity.

Looking at the most recent source readme for wineasio (.90), it looks like they have refactored the code in such a way that it might actually work on OSX too, supposedly they got rid of a dependence on semaphores, which I believe was the main issue. Hard to say. However they are still not building for OSX at this time, the wineasio team remains focused on linux

Hi I've gone through this thread several times unsuccessfully trying to get wineasio to work.

I think there are some unwritten steps that I have no idea how to tackle.
Do I need to have wine installed? and in what directory? can someone lay out the steps for someone totally alien to wine/osx

Thanks!

Hi
do you think this could work with ubuntu studio 16.04.1 LTS ?
regards

1 to 24 of 24

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSEc1U1RWcEJCSmdIdmJRWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9