Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Out of Curiosity: Windows 2000?

Okay, I was wondering why most people suggest installing games with Crossover Games using a Windows 2000 bottle. Wouldn't most games run faster in a Windows XP bottle? I mean, I have HL2, HL2 Episodes 1 and 2, TF2, Portal, and Sin Episodes: Emergence all running well through steam in a win2000 bottle; I was just wondering why I almost never see people suggesting a winXP bottle.

There is no difference between a win2k and winxp bottle, other than the windows version reported. This is almost completely true as well for win98 bottles, except that Wine emulates very few win9x specific behaviors in a win98 bottle, like not triggering an exception on a privileged instruction.

Unless Steam and HL2 behave differently when they find that winver = winxp, there is absolutely no difference between a win2k and winxp bottles for the games, so there should not be a performance difference. About two years ago we made the Steam installer prefer a win2k bottle because we generally use the oldest windows version that the app fully supports. Unless Steam somewhen refuses to run in Win2k, there's no need to change it, but I think that we'll switch to a windows vista bottle as soon as we have a d3d10 implementation.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE1MTc3Njg1LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ1lKOXlUQktoNGRFNlVYdSIsImdkcHIiOjB9