Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

TF2 Lag + DX9 in OS X?

I am using the trial of Crossover to see if I am ready to buy it to play TF2 and some other games and not have to boot into Windows XP as much :P

It seems to run a little better as it has in the past but there still seems to be really bad mouse lag and CPU lag (I'm getting about 40 FPS with most settings on high) but it just "feels laggy". Is this my imagination or does anyone else feel this way? There is definitely mouse lag though - is there a way to fix this?

Also how do you hack in/enable DX9 support. Is that possible? I read on the forums here once that someone had done something like that. Basically I'd like to have the facial expressions that you get on windows and have the water look better (its all black and ugly). Plus even though most of my settings are on medium to high (I run them all max in Windows) it still looks pretty bad. Is this possible? I'm assuming this would be through the regedit in CX or through command line in he Steam TF2 launcher.

Thanks!

Specs: 2.4 C2D Pernyn MBP, 256MB VRAM 8600, 2 GIGS RAM, OS X 10.5.4, 200GIG HD 5400RPM, Wireless-N via Time Capsule

You never quite specified... are you using mainline CrossOver or CrossOver Games? For obvious reasons, you should be using CrossOver Games for TF2.

You can try enabling DX9, but we don't recommend it. That's why it's off by default. 😉

Use the Run Command dialog to run regedit in your Steam bottle. Under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\hl2.exe\Direct3D] add a new string value named "useGLSL" with a value other than "disabled" (such as "enabled"). The next time you launch TF2, it should detect that the GPU is capable of DX9 support. If it doesn't, you can pass "-dxlevel 90" in the game's launch options (accessible via the Properties dialog in Steam). You should only pass that flag for one launch of the game and then remove it, otherwise the game won't remember your video settings.

Ken Thomases wrote:

You never quite specified... are you using mainline CrossOver or
CrossOver Games? For obvious reasons, you should be using CrossOver
Games for TF2.

You can try enabling DX9, but we don't recommend it. That's why
it's off by default. 😉

Use the Run Command dialog to run regedit in your Steam bottle.
Under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\hl2.exe\Direct3D]
add a new string value named "useGLSL" with a value other than
"disabled" (such as "enabled"). The next time you launch TF2, it
should detect that the GPU is capable of DX9 support. If it
doesn't, you can pass "-dxlevel 90" in the game's launch options
(accessible via the Properties dialog in Steam). You should only
pass that flag for one launch of the game and then remove it,
otherwise the game won't remember your video settings.

I am running the most current, stable version of Crossover Games.
I will try what ya said and see how it works, thanks! :)

By the way, I thought DX9 support was impossible due to OS X driver bugs? Is there anything we as the userbase can do to put pressure on Apple to fix the driver bug? Maybe if they got 500 support requests from random Apple users that would light a fire under them to write some good OPEN GL drivers, lol.

It seems like wehn I set useGLSL to enabled and then run TF2 all I get is a black screen. Whats weird is after I removed the whole string for useGLSL and launched TF2 it launched and said both hardware and software were DX 9 - but the game options and game play seemed to not be DX 9 (ie no facial animation, cant use high settings, water glitching, etc.)

I assume becuase I tried to set the game to -dxlevel 90 and then removed it it set it or something. Either way when the string useGLSL is in the registry at that location its not working....

Any ideas anyone?

Ben wrote:

By the way, I thought DX9 support was impossible due to OS X driver
bugs? Is there anything we as the userbase can do to put pressure on
Apple to fix the driver bug? Maybe if they got 500 support requests
from random Apple users that would light a fire under them to write
some good OPEN GL drivers, lol.

You can give feedback to Apple about OS X at the following link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html, I know at least two of us (end-users) have requested Apple to correct the issue with OpenGL shaders. Be polite and brief. Just explain that it is your understanding that there is a problem with OpenGL shaders relating to CrossOver Games, and as a Apple user, you would appriciate Apple's attention to the problem.

However, it appears that Apple may already be working on the problem, some of the notes for the OS X 10.5.5 seed indicated that they have "Resolved issue with GLSL shaders and OpenGL Programmability" (Source).

I think that it's best to proceed from this point with cautious opitism and paitenance.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE1MTc3Njg1LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSG5hODQ1NXNuQmVIVHJmSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9