Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't download anything on Steam

Hi guys, I am trying to configure TF2 with my macbook. Well, I know you have to run an application called steam. So I did the whole set-up, got steam working, and navigating throughout the whole program is easy. But, when I want to download something, I click the INSTALL button, and it just sits there. NOTHING happens. I have tried it with other games there. Still no response. So, I have tried reinstalling Steam, but I have no luck. Any ideas?

Hi,
There are regularly questions about connection or download problems with Steam, and quite often they are bugs in Steam or problems with the Internet connection or the Steam servers. Did you check the CrossOver FAQ, as well as the Steam FAQ on www.steampowered.com? Did you search our forums and tried the suggestions posted there?

Actually, this is a known issue with the Steam store. It is rendered in HTML within the Steam GUI using our CrossOver HTML Engine. However, the Install or Purchase buttons use JavaScript to open a new window. This feature isn't working in the CrossOver HTML Engine, yet. We're working on it.

Currently, the best workaround we can offer is to install the Windows version of the Firefox browser into the bottle along with Steam. Then, launch that browser and go to http://store.steampowered.com. Initiate the purchase or demo installation from there. At one point it will ask you if Steam is installed. Click the button confirming that Steam is installed. Firefox will then pass the purchase or install request off to Steam and things will proceed from there.

Sorry about this inconvenience. It's due to a recent change in the way that the Steam GUI and Store work.

Hey Ken,

Thanks for your responce! Once I read your post, I got pretty excited. I followed all your instructions, and it worked!! I am super happy! Thank you so much for this. I don't mind at all opening Firefox, it's all great.

-Thanks!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE1MTc3Njg1LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZHY0UHNmUTI2dXVKTHJDYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9