Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

DirectX 8

Fixed, check 3rd post to find out how!

It loaded originally, then I made it fullscreen and made some graphics options from High to Med to improve framerate - when I next loaded the game I got (and now get everytime) the loading screen and then a dialoge box stating:

"This game has a minimum requirement of directx 8.0 to run properly."

On 6.2 on Mac

Update: Episode 1 runs fine, downloading Portal to test that.
Update2: Tried with command which works for Episode 1 =
"-console -heapsize 512000 -dxlevel 80 -width 800 -height 600 -window -novid +cl_drawmonitors 0 +r_shadowrendertotexture 0 +r_WaterDrawReflection 0 "
Still no luck[b]

OK portal didn't work either, making a new bottle and will re-install

That seems to have done the trick!

So, tip for people in same situation - make backup of game files, make a new bottle and copy your backup onto the new bottle - great successes! ;) :P

Hi i just made an account here, i know how to back-up game files but whats a "bottle" and how do i make 1?

A "bottle" is CrossOver's term for an encapsulated virtual Windows environment, with its own virtual C: drive, registry, installed fonts, and applications.

When you install software CrossOver will create a bottle for you. Also, you can tell CrossOver to create one at any time. The procedure is a bit different between Linux and the Mac, so the easiest way to find out is to read the documentation. Or, if you let us know which you are using, we can give more detailed instructions.

Ok, i am running Crossover 6.2 on Linux (Ubuntu), and i used steam to make a backup of my game files. I then deleted the bottle and recreated a bottle then installed Steam. Then in the backup copy, i have to double-click on the .exe that will reinstall the game files, but it doesn't recognize that Steam is installed. Did you manually copy all of the files in the game folder, then copy them back? Or did you use the Backup option within Steam? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Of course, it may just be that the Linux version of Crossover my be the problem. Thanks!

If you just double-click a .exe file, CrossOver will run it in your default bottle, which may not be the one which contains Steam. You can use the cxrun tool (a.k.a. Run Command) to run an executable in a specific bottle.

I'm not familiar with Steam's backup feature. Does it not have a corresponding Restore feature from within Steam?

If these .exe programs are actually software installers of sorts, you may be better off using CrossOver Setup to install them as unsupported software into the Steam bottle.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE1MTc3Njg1LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTWdTUlhYclRhV1Zra1pZMiIsImdkcHIiOjB9