Team Fortress 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Menu Problem and game start problem

Whenever I open TF2 from Steam, the main menu of the game appears black and none of the background appears. Even when I try to start the game I get the error that says "failure to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8 :: LockVertexBuffer". The real problem is that the game was running fine earlier, so is this a result of an update or do I need to something on my end?

Thank you in advance.

i too experienced this problem for the first time today
was working fine 2 or 3 days ago

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_updates&appids=440

...it's going to be hard to figure out exactly which update did it,
but, it's likely one of these is to blame. On my linux box with
nvidia 9800gt TF2 still loads, but, menus are missing pretty much
all graphics, and in-game everything's gone to some weird black &
white vista and everything looking very strange as a result...

Temporary Workaround:

From the Steam launcher, right click on "Team Fortress 2" and select "Properties"

Click "Set Launch Options"

Add "-nod3d9ex" to the launch options

Click "ok" to complete the change

Launch Team Fortress 2

Caron Wills wrote:

Temporary Workaround:

From the Steam launcher, right click on "Team Fortress 2" and select
"Properties"

Click "Set Launch Options"

Add "-nod3d9ex" to the launch options

Click "ok" to complete the change

Launch Team Fortress 2

...thanks for finding that Caron -- just tested here and it does work
around the issue nicely =)

Cheers!

Thank you .. worked for me as well with Half-Life 2 death match.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidlJidnVuaExjTmF4ZEJTWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9