CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Fedora 9 experience

I just made the jump from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9 and noticed a couple of issues with cxoffice 6.2. The install prints out multiple error lines with:

egrep: writing output: Broken pipe

but it seems to install ok. when i launch windows programs, they seem to work ok but the menu is unreadable. like the text is smudged out. i can maximize the window to temporarily see the menu but as soon as you click on it the text goes back to smudged/unreadable.

Any ideas on how to fix this or get around it? i know this is not supported yet but i wondered if anyone inside codeweavers had tried to get cxoffice running on fedora 9.

As a follow-up to this post. I experimented by removing the fonts under the wine bottle in drive_c/fonts. When I take out all the TTF files I get the proper font rendering for most fonts. There are many fonts that show up ok in the font selection bar but unreadable when I choose them for text in a document (e.g. spreadsheet). For now this might be a workaround but there seems to be an incompatibility with the fonts in an existing bottle.

Salcido,

You articulated my problem exactly. I moved to FC9 and see identical smudging of certain info windows. I found the drive_c/fonts from the path ~/.cxoffice/default/drive_c/windows/fonts and ~/.cxoffice/win98/drive_c/windows/fonts, moved *.TFF to another file and ran word with the same smudging. I know nothing about bottles and where the bottles are stored. Can you help. And can codeweaver come up with a solution quickly. Thanks for your posting.

John

salcido, did you open a support ticket for this problem?
If so, can you share the id?

(And a note to Codeweavers folks, it would be nice if the website more clearly reflected crossover-pro support on recent Linux releases. OS release dates are well known, and betas of Fedora have been out for weeks. Why keep your customers guessing?)

John, did you remove TFF or TTF? The font files will be .TTF

I entered a ticket

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=679661;list=6;ticket_level=2

but this may be an unsupported issue until fedora 9 is an official codeweavers platform.

Salcido,

My fonts were in /home/user/.cxoffice/win98/drive_c/windows/fonts. I mv'ed all .TTFs to an unrelated directory. Smudging still appears in word window. I am quite disappointed that there has been no response from Codeweaver folks. I have grown to depend on Codeweaver. Thanks for your concerns.

John

We're still trying to get to the bottom of this, so I don't have anything
more to contribute. We're actively working to support it as part of CrossOver 7.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy,

That's all I needed--a status report. Now I know you are aware of the problem and are working on it I will make the necessary plans. For what its worth I think the problem has something to do with the video drivers( I have a thinkpad t60p with ati video board and fc9 stock driver which seems to have been updated from previous versions.). Sometime the text appears (rarely) before it becomes smudged. Good luck and thanks for your product.

John

Thanks Jeremy! Hope to see crossover 7 come out soon. As an additional side note regarding this issue I noticed that the smudged text somtimes depends on the size of the font so maybe this is related to font scaling. I use excel as my test bed. some fonts will show up smudged at 8,9,10 but ok at 24 for example.

it looks like fedora changed the fonts in 9 and X as well so there's a lot of potential problems. just so you know, i'm running on a thinkpad t61p with nvidia and using stock kernel nv driver because nvidia hasn't released their official driver yet.

Hi all.
Same problem here. Fedora 9. I tried using Crossover Pro 6.0 and Crossover Standard 6.2.
With the Standard Edition:

• Dcom98 did not install when the installer created the Win98 bottle. I manually created the bottle in 'Configuration' and the Dcom98 installation completed successfully. The Font problem is presnet during the install though. Note that I tried installing Dcom98 with Wine and it does not have the font problem. Although this allowed me to see a message that could not be seen with Crossover (smuged fonts). This message said that the installer though I was installing on Windows NT. It due to this message that I thought of creating the bottle before running the installation.

Tks.
Cristian

Update to my previous thread.
I forgot to mention that CrossOver Pro 6.0 does not install at all. I get a message saying that it can not find a Unix Path. Although the Path mentionned does exist. I do not remember the exact Path, but it was in /opt/cxoffice

I received this feedback via email from John Heidemann (johnh@isi.edu)

I wanted to follow up on codeweavers ticket 679661: Problems with fonts

in Fedora 9.

I tried to post a follow up, but could not because my support is expired

(waiting for 7.x release).

(You're welcome to repost this on the ticket if you want.)

However, some information you may be interested in:

"works for me".

That is, on a default F9 installation, the crossover-pro-6.2.0-1 RPM,

with a Windows 2000 environment running MS office 11,

works fine for me.

Fonts are fine for me. By default, the MS fonts aren't installed so the

metrics are off. But I was able to do the standard cxsetup font install

procedure and get the fonts in. THen the metrics are correct.

(By "fonts are fine", I mean menus look fine, and one test powerpoint

talk looked good.)

So basically I cannot reproduce the problem reported by salcido.

Also, the followup from Jeremey dated 2008-05-27 12:48 said:

"Also, it looks as though the 32 bit fc9 has a kernel bug that

is crippling; it causes system hangs if users run any flavor of Wine."

I get these errors on startup:

preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-68000000

And I did get a system hang once during install, but then it basically

worked.

Jeremey, can you clarify if you get consistent hangs, or just

intermittent ones?

And if the hangs are intermittent (which might be consistent with my

short experiment), then is there another open report tracking this issue

I can follow? Cxoffice support is a blocking issue for me running

Fedora 9.

Finally, I'm curious about the bug report. It was marked closed, yet

the last two followups don't suggest the issue is resolved. Is the

status correct?

Thanks,

-John Heidemann

Okay, so here is what we've found.

First, Fedora Core 9 appears to be using the new VM reservation, so to use old versions of CrossOver, you have
to use the same vm workaround as you do for Ubuntu Hardy Heron. In version 7 (out very soon now), that's not
an issue - we've worked around it.

We have focused on testing version 7 on FC9, and we have not found any problems. However, we're running
only on virtualized machines; none of us are running on real hardware. We have a lot of beta testers
reporting fairly catastrophic failures. This includes the whole system freezing, as well as some sort
of horrid font problem. Again, we have screen shots, but have not reproduced either failure.

Some beta testers report that changing their X driver made a difference. Oddly, it only seems to be 32
bit FC9 users; our 64 bit FC9 beta testers all seem cheerful. Could just be statistical fluke.

So right now we are unable to reproduce any problems on FC9. So it works perfectly for us. Further,
there is evidence that it does work for some fc9 users.

However, we have clear and compelling evidence that there are catastrophic failures for some fc9 users.

We're clearly going to have to wait until we can determine what's different about failing systems
and our test systems or until we have a test system that fails. But I'm afraid we'll ship cx7
without addressing this. Red Hat and the Fedora project have had a long history of breaking Wine
willy nilly. The only distribution that hasn't done that to us is Debian. (And now that I've
said that, I'm sure that Lenny will include something nasty <grin>).

Cheers,

Jeremy

Here is some more input on this.
In addition to the font problems I have more serious issues. After upgrade to Fedora 9 my existing Crossover 6.2 installation
now simply shows empty black windows for already installed applications. In some occasions parts of the window show up (like
a toolbar in the Outlook for example) but then it disappears again. Also for some reason already installed apps seems to always
start full screen now. ie I get full black screen.
I'm running Fedora 9 x86-64 with vanilla 2.6.25.4 kernel (ie one from kernel.org). Xorg is using built-in NV driver.

Interestingly enough Wine installation that came with Fedora 9 is working just fine. I can literally point it to the drive_c
from the crossover and I can run word and excell and stuff just fine. Unfortunately it does not run Outlook due to MAPI
conflicts but it definitely does not have any issues with the fonts and blank windows.

Max

I had the same blurry fonts in MS Office 2002 menus with crossover pro 6.2 after upgrading from f8 to f9. It was weird because the blur does not affect the text itself, just the menus. It appeared as if the same word was being written several times on top of itself, but the size of the font was being slightly distorted each time.

It reminded me of some Fedora 8 problems I have had with fonts and font metrics. They were fixed by the installation of a package from the rpm.livna.org repository. That package that fixed the problem was: http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/8/i386/freetype-freeworld-2.3.5-3.lvn8.i386.rpm. And I notice it was uninstalled by the F8->F9 install. Interesting!

There is trouble with upgrading Fedora, I think, because some fundamental font things have changed and I don't think the upgrade does all the needed work. The xfs service is no longer recommended, but it is still running on an upgraded system. A number of other things about font naming scheme have been changed, I figured maybe they renamed some font that the menus require. (Could not find how to change menu font in Office 2002).

Then I installed the msttcorefonts package (RPM you build yourself from Spec file on corefonts.sourceforge.net). (Had to omit the fonts from verdan32.exe package because they are unavailable today. Oh, also, because F9 does not have chkfontpath, I just cut out that requirement and stanzas that involved it from the spec file. Otherwise, it was simple).

After installing those fonts, the menus in Office cleared up.

/EDIT June 3, 2008/

I was mistaken here, but in an interesting way. I was working on that remote system in a vncviewer session and in that viewer, I installed the new fonts and ran winword with no trouble. Today I'm back in front of that same system today, and the fonts are all messed up.

I went back to the other PC, logged into the problem PC with ssh and started winword and the fonts were fine.

Doesn't that mean that the font problem you see on the actual display is due to a problem in the X server, rather than the other part

/End Edit/

It may be a complete co-incidence that this helped. I don't understand why. It could be that some other X11 change or font rendering change happened between last night and today.

Oh, forgot to confess I do need to run this hack to make anything from CX work:

sudo /sbin/sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0

I would also mention that I installed Ubuntu Hardy Herron 8.04 on a different system and tried the package crossover-pro-demo 7.0.0beta3-1. Office 2002 seems to run fine, the equation editor works and it is all good. With Office 2003, most of the bells and whistles did not work--equation editor did not work. But the menus show up fine with either Office, which I why I mention it.

pj

Jeremy,
Thanks for the updates on F9 testing. More I look at this the more I think this depends on hardware used, X config, etc. Is there any way to get the cx7 beta to test?

My comment may have already been mentioned on this thread but I will reiterate anyway:

My computer is a Thinkpad T650p (ATI card). I have installed MS Office under wine and, while the input to the program doesn't work. The graphics displays are all correct and the printing works. This suggests that FC9 uses a different version of wine than codeweaver, RedHat has figured how to configure wine so the graphics work or code weaver is doing something to screw up wine. I am still interested in a solution.

John

Still looking for an answer on this. found this bugzilla entry. Might be related.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=451016

Just an addition to this, the pre-relase Fedora 9 does not have the font corruption problem at all.
So I am hoping that this updated X server fixes the issue, it certainly seems the most likely.
I'll get back to you tomorrow about this as I am fairly desperate to get this working, esp. since the kernel locking
problem has been fixed (although it has still not been pushed out!!! and this affects fedora 8 as well since they pushed
the same problem out in the 2.6.25 kernel for that too)

X server update hasn't helped ☹️

I please to report that installing v 7 on my FC9 Thinkpad T60P seems to work, e.g. no smeary windows. I will evaluate for a while longer to see what pops up.

Font problem fixed for me on fc9 after freetype update

freetype-2.3.5-6.fc9.i386

YMMV

Confirmed. Freetype update also fix my font problem (using Crossover 7 Standard Ed.)

Tks.

F9 and CX Pro 7.0 here. The Freetype update mentioned did not fix my smeary font problem, but I've noticed something interesting: text drawn by applications (ie, the web page itself in IE6) is fine. It's only text drawn by the Windows common controls that smears, although that's obviously bad enough (makes installers "interesting" to be sure). Even when it's the exact same font.

I have reinstalled my laptop with Fedora 9 due to an un resolved problem with Lotus Notes for Linux 8. I'm sorry to report that the font problem is back for me. Event with freetype-2.3.5-6.fc9.i386 installed ☹️

So I'm back to square one the this issue. Hopefully I can find what went right the last time.

Anyone managed to resolve this? I have this problem on Fedora 9 (x86_64). I have updated my NVIDIA driver to 173.14.05, I have the freetype version 2.3.5-6 installed, yet I still see the font smearing issue.

As someone has said this only seems to effect the Windows common controls (and things like the URL box in IE6). Interestingly the common controls seem better in Office 2007, the right clicks seem to work but file dialogs still smudge.

Since my last kernel upgrade to 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64 I reapplied the NVIDIA driver 173.14.09. The problems have now resolved for me. Maybe the driver hadn't cleanly updated last time or something. Now it all looks happy.

1 to 28 of 28

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiU3RUZG1FTmZuWTJ1dkJMcSIsImdkcHIiOjB9