We are overdue for an update on our support for 32 bit applications on Catalina. All of the key developers are heads down, working on that support, so I thought I'd write a quick summary.
Today for the first time we took a build from the developers and gave it to QA. And I'm thrilled to report that this build is showing real progress; we ran a few applications including Notepad++, Steam, and a few games. This is very exciting forward progress for us, and shows that we are beginning to integrate all of the hard work of the team over this past year. However, a lot of applications are still not working; a wide range of our titles fail (Quicken, Office, and others). Right now, those failures center around dependency downloads, which we hope to cure quickly.
We still have a pretty substantial list of tests we need to get through. For example, we're not sure if the exception handling is correct. We need to test things like launcher integration, and probe for other unexpected failures. We're also missing some tools that are nice for diagnostics (relay tracking, debug support).
However, we remain hopeful that we will have a rough alpha available in the relatively near future.