2Moons Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

2moons Installs fine, but seems to not launch due gameguard

I was testing the game 2moons, which is listed as untested. I was trying to give back feedback on the success or failure of trying to install and run the game on linux {archlinux}
I had all the videocard drivers properly installed. Ensure 3d was working. Then via Crossover office Pro 6.2.0, I successfully installed IE6, activex, and then 2moons.
Installtion went by flawlessly.

When I attempted to run, it updated and started similarly as it would in windows XP. It download al updates, etc., I had even downloaded the gameguard executable and installed it via cross over pro and it installed fine as well.

When I go to launch the game, it loads up, but upon clicking tha start for it connect to server and startup, I get a complaint from the gameguard client as below:

GameGuard Error: 360 - From archlinux
Failed to complete GameGuard Update. Try again after disabling any anti-virus programs or change its settings using PC Management Program.

Some window users used to get these error, but I do not know how to get around that in linux. We have IP table firewalls and different firewall settings than in windows. Is there a way to disable the firewall or enable the gameguard to bypass the firewall, by allowing it through some known port that it uses?

Unfortunately GameGuard is a copy protection system which does not work with CrossOver. Furthermore, it's essentially impossible to make it work.

GameGuard installs what is essentially equivalent to a rootkit -- it modifies Windows at a very deep level, bypassing the OS safeguards, and relying on very specific details of the way Windows works. CrossOver (and the Wine technology on which it depends) will never have that level of fidelity to Windows at that deep level and it's not intended to. Furthermore, CrossOver is user-level software and can't bypass the safeguards of the OS (Linux or Mac OS X) on which it's running, and even if we could we wouldn't do it.

Sorry for the bad news. 😥

Ken Thomases wrote:

Unfortunately GameGuard is a copy protection system which does not
work with CrossOver. Furthermore, it's essentially impossible to
make it work.

GameGuard installs what is essentially equivalent to a rootkit -- it
modifies Windows at a very deep level, bypassing the OS safeguards,
and relying on very specific details of the way Windows works.
CrossOver (and the Wine technology on which it depends) will never
have that level of fidelity to Windows at that deep level and it's
not intended to. Furthermore, CrossOver is user-level software and
can't bypass the safeguards of the OS (Linux or Mac OS X) on which
it's running, and even if we could we wouldn't do it.

Sorry for the bad news. 😥

It is bad and good. I understand why it is not possible now. But, could the function of the rootkit not be emulated or limited to the windows emulated environment. This way the app essentially acts on the windows emulated side without getting to outside the system where user has real protected data? Thanks though for this. I shall push this further to developers of those games that use gameguard.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVDlmRTc3UFl3S2hBYnA1NyIsImdkcHIiOjB9