Adobe Photoshop CS4 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Bronze ?!?

Where does that bronze comes from ?

It does not even install!

Hi,

Others have given it a silver medal, but that said by the looks of it
they were using linux -- are you on Mac?

Cheers!

I use Linux Ubuntu 10.04 and it won't even install!

And you've read the tips&tricks here as well I take it?

It is a geek trick and I know it works.

Apps that do not install "out of the box" can't have a medal!
It is confusing average users, and it is not good ...

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/medals

E3xactly what I meant!

"The Bronze is awarded to applications that install and run"

DINCLAUX Laurent wrote:

E3xactly what I meant!

And some people have done that, installed it, run it, and then personally
ranked it (given it a medal) based on their individual interpretation of
medal guidelines coupled with their actual usage of the app in question.

It is you adding to words, not the words are saying....example - you read;

That means just that -- it does not mean ;

"The Bronze is awarded to applications that install and run out of
the box without any troubles at all"

...on the other hand, you have (unsupported) Gold medals, which read in part;

"The Gold is awarded to applications that install and run as you would expect them to in Microsoft Windows."

That statement reflects a different position, extending to the fact that "it installed just like
you'd expect it to in Microsoft Windows and ran just as you would expect in Microsoft Windows".

The wording of these statements may seem a little obscure, but they are correct/accurate...ie;
there's a big difference between "installing" and "installing just as you would expect in Windows"

Most advocates/customers equate into their medal ranking, exactly what measure of 'pain and difficulty'
is involved with actually installing the application...for example with CS4 here, if it were one of
-my- advocated apps, I'd probably never rank it higher than silver (even if the whole program itself
ran perfectly) just because of the work-around apparently required to install this app.

The fact that you can't install it is aside and apart of the medal ranking system, and of
course you are entitled to your opinion regarding how the medal ranking system works here.

By way of comparison, over at WineHQ AppDB this same app gets a silver...see;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14318

...and that's a silver "with workaround to get it to install"....so when I see a situation like
that, I actually think the Bronze ranking here is a little closer to the mark.

No system's perfect when it comes to ranking how windows apps perform in the crossover/wine runtime
environments, and it's open to an individual's interpretation...ie; perhaps their experience is better
than someone else's due to differences in hardware, drivers, whatever etc etc...even which linux distro
you use can make a difference....or which platform/OS...lots of variables here. Trying to 'condense' the
scope here into a basic medal ranking system based on 3 metals is generalization at it's best. Over at
WineHQ they have an extra ranking class (platinum) .... it is one more step less generalized. You could
continue down this path, and further de-generalize the rank dissection, and end up with iron, tin, brass,
copper...or the whole Periodic Table and discover a new element along the way... 8)

Cheers!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOUp1cjgzV3dBdXZGZmQ0SiIsImdkcHIiOjB9