Adobe Acrobat Reader 6 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

It Works!!!!!!!!!!!

It works great. Other than some messed up icons. Most functionality works. Can open PDFs, change preferences, and all the other cool stuff.

I had to change the wine windows version to win2k -

Add the following line to your config in ~/.cxoffice/dotwine -

[AppDefaults\\AcroRd32.exe\\Version]
"Windows" = "win2k"

Naren Sankar

Version 6.01 full download for windows 2000.

Naren

I just tried it and can confirm that it works, great! Here are the steps to success again:
1) Download the Win2000 version from Adobes website
2) Install it with crossover office's installer, choose Windows 2000 in the screen which asks for the installation file
3) Add to ~/.cxoffice/dotwine/config the lines:
[AppDefaults\\AcroRd32.exe\\Version]
"Windows" = "win2k

However, it is quite slow over here and as you said, icons aren't displayed correctly, but it works.

I have a dual 1.7G Xeon with 1GB of RAM running Gentoo, and the performance is fine. I actually find it more stable than the linux version, which has this annoying bug - If you search for a word and it is not found in the document, reader crashes. This has been reported by many people on the adobe forums, but they have not fixed it. So running the windows reader is nice. Also a lot of new files including the latest Lessig book require reader > 6.0.

The interesting problem I now face is that checking for online updates crashes the reader. I had to do a new install of cxoffice, and this is a new problem that surfaced. This used to work before:( So if that is the case for other as well, disable the automatic checking of online updates in the preferences.

Naren

I have a dual 1.7G Xeon with 1GB of RAM running
Gentoo, and the performance is fine.

Luck guy. I tested it with my Laptop, Pentium M 1,3 Ghz. If I scroll the page down, it needs about 0.5-1 second to draw it, so it's hard on the edge between usable and too slow.

I tried to time some stuff - using Lawerence Lessig's latest book. Start on the first page and hold pagedown to scroll down all the way to the end. The windows reader is around 1/3 the speed of the linux one. This seems to mainly be a problem for large files. On small files (5 pages or so) it is much better.

Naren

I'm mainly using Acrobat Reader for scientific papers, which often include pictures and bitmap-fonts. This is even under Windows quite slow...

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid1BQSmtiVWc1NFJxZ1VaRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9