Alan Wake Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Issues with GOG.com version

I can run the game at max settings and the frame rate is acceptable, so that is a plus. There are however, a few issues that make this game bronze for me.

1. Crashes frequently on medium and high settings.

2. The sound is very unpredictable... sometimes, the games chooses to let the cutscenes have sound, but not ingame, and sometimes its the other way around. This has been reported for wine users too, and a reported workaround was installing XACT, which is in the dx9 installation. However, this has not worked.

Update: I managed to get the sound to be consistent, now the cutscene music plays, but not the ingame music or sound effects.

1. Forgot to mention this first, but the installer fails halfway through, gives an error message even though the install has completed. This is definitely not the only GOG game that does this in wine, but I thought it was good to mention it anyway.

Here is the backtrace: http://pastebin.com/VpsaUqmc

Hello Mr. Pickert,

I can verify number 1 and 2 of the issues you described. As for the installation itself - it installs and launches just fine via Steam.

Have you figured out anything that might help?

Thanks,
Alex

Sorry to necro this,

Here is a picture of what happens with the GOG installation, this happens across a number of games in wine, and is currently a bug being worked on (I think).

I haven't found any way to fix the sound issues or the crashing issues.

EDIT: Another random thing, it says my computer is under minimum specs, when it is nowhere near the minimum.

EDIT 2: More bugs! Gives me this crash after the initial cutscene when I start a game.

Sorry, late reply...

1) The out of video memory error: Try to set the video memory registry key and set it to some big value, e.g. 2048.

2) The minimum spec thing: That could be a game bug. E.g. many older games have an integer overflow when you have more than 2 GB of RAM and they read a negative number instead. Though if this game uses A16R16G16B16F it's unlikely it is that old. That kind of bug is common for Windows 95 era games.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR3dmU043bWdkU1l4R0dyUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9