Aliens: Colonial Marines Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Runs good, only minor issues

Sup guys,

I am providing this information just in case someone is interested in this game. Personally, I love it.

ISSUES

The issue: The game downloads and installs just fine via Steam, but it might hang or show some errors during the installation of the "ut3 engine redist".

The fix: Ignore the errors and proceed with installation. If ut3 engine redist hangs, force quit the process and it will retry again by itself. It should work now. This also happens on some Windows 8 systems. In my case it even automatically rebooted my Windows 8 PC during installation.

The issue: Shaders/Textures look funky, kinda rainbow-ish in color.

The fix: Turn down texture details in the game menu. This also happens on some Windows PC hard- and software combinations btw, especially on Windows 8.

The issue: Performance suddenly drops to unplayable levels.

The fix: Disable performance enhancements via Crossover OR just lower some graphic details. Systems affected by this issue should lower their graphic detail-sliders to 50 percent or less. Just play around with the settings. If nothing helps; disable Compiz or switch to Ubuntu 2D and try again. On Windows there is a bug that causes the game to stutter a lot when graphic details are set too high, especially on Windows 8 and AMD hardware.

I also have the following in my Steam bottle:

• Microsoft Media Sound Player Engine 9 via Crossover 13 (there's a Crosstie for it)
  • DirectX 9 via Crossover Crosstie
  • DirectX (modern) - was already installed in my Steam bottle
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 and 2008 were already in my Steam bottle
  • .Net Framework 2 - 4 were installed

What works

• Everything so far, even multiplayer!

What doesn't work

• If your mouse movement is a bit too fast/jerky when turning around or aiming; turn off mouse acceleration in the game options. This fixes the issue, which can also happen on Windows. It's not a Crossover specific issue.

Additional info:

• A lot of the issues mentioned above also affect some Windows users. Overall I'd say the game runs good and sometimes even better than on Windows via Crossover 13.

• Make sure you have all libraries and dependencies installed on your system that Crossover 13 needs! This is very, very important. Write a ticket to support, just in case you don't know what I am talking about.

The above was tested on:

• Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64-bit
  • Toshiba Satellite L750-16W
  • Nvidia 319 proprietary drivers provided by Ubuntu
  • Unity 3D activated, but Unity 2D (12.04 LTS) is recommended, if you experience performance issues with Compiz activated!

Have fun,
Alex

Sup guys,

this time I tested the title with different hardware and with the new Crosstie created by... a mystical hero. Your work is appreciated! The new Crosstie seems to improve the installation routine - the game doesn't hang anymore when launching it the first time (ut3 engine redist) and the installation is a matter of click, download, install, run.

ISSUES

The issue: The game downloads and installs just fine via Steam, but it might hang or show some errors during the installation of the "ut3 engine redist".

The fix: Ignore the errors and proceed with installation. If ut3 engine redist hangs, force quit the process and it will retry again by itself. It should work now. This also happens on some Windows 8 systems. In my case it even automatically rebooted my Windows 8 PC during installation.

The issue: Shaders/Textures look funky, kinda rainbow-ish in color. IT'S A DOUBLE RAINBOW! DROOLS

The fix: Turn down texture details in the game menu. This also happens on some Windows PC hard- and software combinations btw, especially on Windows 8.

The issue: Performance suddenly drops to unplayable levels.

The fix: Disable performance enhancements via Crossover OR just lower some graphic details. Systems affected by this issue should lower their graphic detail-sliders to 50 percent or less. Just play around with the settings. On Windows there is a bug that causes the game to stutter a lot when graphic details are set too high, especially on Windows 8 and AMD hardware.

What works

• Everything so far, even multiplayer!

What doesn't work

• If your mouse movement is a bit too fast/jerky when turning around or aiming; turn off mouse acceleration in the game options. This fixes the issue, which can also happen on Windows. It's not a Crossover specific issue.

Additional info:

• A lot of the issues mentioned above also affect some Windows users. Overall I'd say the game runs good and sometimes even better than on Windows via Crossover 13.

• Make sure you have all libraries and dependencies installed on your system that Crossover 13 needs! This is very, very important. Write a ticket to support, just in case you don't know what I am talking about.

The above was tested on:

• Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit, all updates installed
  • AMD Phenom II X4 945 @3 Ghz
  • AMD HD 7850 1 GB GDDR5, using the default Open Source drivers provided by Ubuntu
  • 8 GB DRR3 Corsair Value Select RAM
  • 7200RPM 2,5" Seagate HDD
  • Unity 3D activated, playing in fullscreen mode delivers the best performance thx to the changes made by Canonical to Compiz
  • Crossover 13.1.3

Cheers,
Alex

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQnY5UVhxTFNKQlFXUGNMeiIsImdkcHIiOjB9