Anarchy Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot Update

Hi folks!

Am having serious problems with AO patcher, when trying to patch from loading screen a pop-up says "Unsupported operation was attempted" then starts the updater, which stays all grayed out and then exits abruptly.

When I try to dl a patch manually and install it, it starts installing it, but then in the middle just quits.

Can anybody help me? Anybody with the same experiences?

Actually I managed to fix this, so now AO runs perfectly on my mbp. I used the guide from the winehq forum.

You must obtain a copy of the old Anarchy patcher (http://sharebee.com/c62cfa8b courtesy of Alexanderw at the AO Forums) and whenever the launcher wants you to patch then you need to replace the existing file with this one, you need to keep a copy of the file, as the launcher removes it on a normal startup and isn't necessary for playing the game.

Hello, it seems there is the only one bug that prevents CX out of getting AO at supported games roster. It works just fine if substitute before each new patch. cheers. hope CX doesn't abandon their work on AO :)

To get AO working..

(simple fix and runs quite well)

1. Run the AO installer - I used AnarchyOnline_18.0.4-Large.exe - and let the download complete. Click install when finished.
  2. In CXG, choose 'Reveal In Finder' (Programs menu). Also 'Open C: In Finder' located in Manage Bottles and Navigate to your install folder - mine is Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online, etc. You will swap back and before between both windows a few times while updating so leave both windows open.
  3. Download AnarchyPatcher.exe listed above. Keep it in your downloads folder. Once downloaded, copy if (Edit menu -> Copy).

--LOOP--

1. Run Anarchy Online (shortcut from the first window). Hit accept at EULA and go to main screen where it says patch needed.
  2. Paste AnarchyPatcher.exe into the Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online folder overwriting what was there.
  3. Click the Patch button in the AO main screen and let it do the work.
  4. When finished, restart AO. It will redownload the newer patcher.exe replacing the custom one. Just ignore it. (HINT: You can't lock it to avoid this, don't bother).

--END LOOP--

1. Keep running that loop until AO is fully patched.
  2. Play Game. Keep a copy of AnarchyPatcher.exe somewhere safe so you can use it the next time you need to patch.

this no longer works since the last update. (18.2.x)

Hi, wanted to try this out and got the same error. Any easy way to fix that?

Last post said it wouldn't work the way mentioned before. Don't want to mess around for nothing :)

Alexander wrote:

Hi, wanted to try this out and got the same error. Any easy way to
fix that?

Last post said it wouldn't work the way mentioned before. Don't want
to mess around for nothing :)

Hey.

I have only got it to work, with using Parallels with a windows copy to patch the game. And then using Crossover to play it.

From Kehaan.

Hi,

According to wineHQ this is working well in the latest model wine...see;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=514

Perhaps this is not working now in CXG-9 , I don't know, but I do know
the next version of CXG will be based on wine-1.2 and so perhaps things
will get better here. Going by the above wineHQ entry you're going to
need IE6 in the same bottle...which you can do (linux example);

WINEPREFIX=~/full/path/to/bottle_name winetricks ie6

Cheers!

Hello,

thanks you two for responding so fast.

Installing Windows in a Virtualbox or in Bootcamp is not an option right now. I am trying to go the "all OSX & Ubuntu" way :) It's too much work for one game anyway. I will look in to what you posted, Don. If I get it to work, I will report back.

Thanks again!

Alex

I was able to patch the client using Wine 1.2 (on OSX) using the winetricks method. The way I did it requires a bit of command line knowledge, but apart from that is quite straight forward. Here goes:

• Grab Wine 1.2 and install it (I compiled it from scratch using these instructions: http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building).
  • Run winecfg once to setup the .wine directory.
  • Grab winezeug (http://code.google.com/p/winezeug/source/checkout), and use it to install IE6 (winetricks ie6). It should pop up a GUI that guides you through the install.
  • Move the "Funcom" folder from the CrossOver bottle into the .wine directory (I stuck it into "Program Files", but I'm not sure if that's strictly necessary).
  • Run the Anarchy.exe using wine, then click patch. It should run flawlessly.
  • Move the "Funcom" folder (which now contains the patched version) back to its original place in the CrossOver bottle.

Done. You should be able to run the game and log in now.

As mentioned, after log-in I get garbled output (which looks a bit like this: http://imgur.com/TTLjs.png when the cursor isn't in the window and like this: http://imgur.com/ccWZB.png when it is). I'll post again if I find out how to fix that.

Jo wrote:

... As mentioned, after log-in I get garbled output (which looks a
bit like this: http://imgur.com/TTLjs.png when the cursor isn't in
the window and like this: http://imgur.com/ccWZB.png when it is).
I'll post again if I find out how to fix that.

Did you figure out what is causing your garbled output? Someone else in the Anarchy Online forums posted that they have the same problem using Crossover.

Also with the release of Wine 1.2 in Crossover/Crossover Games, it appears that Anarchy Online patches fine if you install Internet Explorer 6 into the bottle.

Confirming that old patcher method no longer works. AO will re-download the new one on startup, replacing the old patcher. Sadly, AO is still unplayable using Crossover.

Edit:
I thought I would list what I had tried so my comment here does not seem baseless. I am on a mac, running snow leopard, and my AO client is version 18.1 (the most recent full download as far as I know).

First, as stated before, the old patcher trick has been rendered obsolete by the fact the client checks for the patcher on start up, and will replace it with a new one before you even reach the log in screen.

Second, to install AO you create a windows XP bottle (once again, as far as I know) which makes you unable to install IE6 into it by any traditional method. Winetricks may be able to circumvent this, but in order to run winetricks on mac you need darwinports or macports. Unfortunately, to run either of those you need Apple's Xcode 3, and in order to obtain that by any legal method I know, you must be a registered apple developer, which would seem to eliminate a majority of average users.

Third, just for thoroughness' sake, I attempted the awesomium dll trick, but at 18.1, you have no original dll for you to replace, rendering this method not applicable for those getting the original download.

Finally, as noted above, manual patching is spotty at best and usually just stops in the middle of the process if it starts at all.

I hope these comments help those who might have a better perspective and more experience with both crossover and macs.

-A former windows user.

1 to 12 of 12

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNEw4SEFHbm1HQWtlZk1RcSIsImdkcHIiOjB9