Anno 1404: Dawn of Discovery Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

No DirectX ini file?

When I try to start the game, I get the error message "Failed to initialize DirectX, as described in the tips&tricks section.

However, when I try the tip said there:
"When you starting the programm and they come the error 'Can not initialize DirectX', than edit the file engine.ini in dir 'drive_c/users/crossover/Application Data/Ubisoft/Anno1404/Config'
Change the value of entry DirectXVersion to '9'"

There is no ini-file at that location! Any ideas?

Hi,

check dir 'drive_c/Documents and Settings/crossover/Application Data/Ubisoft/anno1404/config'

Christian

Hi I do have the same problem and I can't find the path you described....sorry.
Any other ideas, or is there a way to generate this engine.ini file?
I did start the game more than once, and I waited for several minutes when the directx error turned up...

Thanks,
Niklas

I think I have found the solution to this problem

If you go <Bottlename>/drive_C/programfiles/ubisoft/related designs/Anno1404

There should be an Engine.ini file in there with (only) the quality setting in it

now go to http://anno1404.wikia.com/wiki/Engine.ini and copy entire the example of the Default Engine.ini file
and place it in the engine.ini file

[I removed the line <GUIDefinitionFolder>data/config/gui/menudefinitions/</GUIDefinitionFolder> don't know if it makes any differens]

Then change the <DirectXVersion>0 to <DirectXVersion>9

And save the file

[I advise backing up the engine.ini file before you do this because you may have to reinstall if this goes wrong]

And now your done you can boot the game, with all the settings a bit weird so adjust that once you've booted it.

Hope it helps

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic24yUWJzc0JBelBaclVVbSIsImdkcHIiOjB9