Anno 1602 A.D. Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Multiplayer not finding any networking protocols.

In 1602 (which I own a legal copy of!), the multiplayer function allows you to 'start a game,' but does not actually let you pick a protocol (and does not use any 'standard' one either). Any suggestions on how I could get the program to recognize my laptop's network card? (Dell C840, Ubuntu 8.10, CrossOver Games) Or is there another issue I am overlooking?

This game uses DirectPlay. CrossOver doesn't have its own working Dplay implementation yet, but you can use the Windows one. To do so, just install the DirectX runtime into the bottle.

There's one "bug" in DirectPlay that might cause you some headage. Dplay expects that your hostname resolves to the IP of your external network card, not the loopback interface.

So, lets assume your hostname is "foobar", and your network IP is 192.168.0.2, your /etc/hosts file needs to contain this mapping. Linux distros by default set the hostname to resolve to 127.0.0.1, which is the loopback interface. This causes dplay to bind the server to the loopback iface and search for servers there as well, which prevents it from working properly.

If you have two network cards, set the hostname to the IP of the card you want to use for the connection.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVjV6eEpXbWh4VEp4dE1kUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9