Anno 1701: Gold Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam version just released - does it work?

I'm looking for anyone who has tried the Steam version of this game? I really want to play it but not sure I want to test it out for $27 ;) I don't spend a lot of time in Boot Camp for obvious reasons.

Thanks!

I broke down and bought it anyway. Have been looking forward to a Steam based version for a long time now so it was too much to resist. And... after some tinkering I've got the game to work in CXG 7.2 on Mac OS X 10.5.6! I've posted a screenshot and I'll see if I can work up some steps on what I did. I basically got all the help off the official WineHQ.

I added 1701.exe and 1701-addon.exe to winecfg under Libraries and set them to native. I then added dbghelp.dll into my CrossOver bottle and also added it to winecfg, ignoring the error message. Took the default setting of native,builtin for that. After that the game launched!

There was some discussion on the WineHQ forums to change some regedit values but I did not do those things.

Thanks for the info, I've been looking forward to trying this game myself!

Can you point me to an FAQ or other more detailed instructions for making this work? I've never had to tweak the winecfg, or manipulate .dll's in my bottles, so a bit of hand-holding here would be appreciated.

(I just bought the Steam version on sale for $15, but found it won't launch...very happy to see your note here!)

There is a good outline of winecfg here ;

http://wiki.winehq.org/winecfg

Note the links at the bottom of that page for regedit & friends,
also useful.

Regarding dll files, mostly you are only copying them into crossover's
equivalent to the windows path C:\windows\system32 You haven't mentioned
which OS/platform you're using...(you should)...but...for Mac, the path equiv is ;

/home/[user]/Library/Application Support/Crossover/Bottles/[bottle name]/drive_c/windows/system32

On linux the path equiv is;

/home/[user]/.cxgames/[bottle name]/drive_c/windows/system32

In crossover, you get to winecfg via the control panel ;

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-games-linux/controlpanel

I would advise reading the whole of chapter 6 is you're new to this ;

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-games-linux/officesetup

If you digest all of this, the original poster's message about what to
do and how all makes sense ;)

(I'm on a Mac) -- thanks, your instructions are exactly what I was looking for.

One more question: when I stick a DLL into system32, there's one of the same name already there. I'm guessing that's one from Wine, and I'm replacing it with a "native" one from Windows, is that right?

Related, I noticed in the winecfg, that when you add libraries, you're adding them for specific executables. The original poster said to put the 1701.exe's into the "Libraries", but didn't say for which executable -- or am I supposed to do it for "Default"? It's a bit confusing sticking the game exe's into the Libraries part of winecfg.

In spite of my issues, I was able to launch and play the game, but so far only by running it as a command, not by launching it from steam. Thanks for everyone's help!

Understand I don't have this title, and only the original poster
could spell-out what they've done...but in an effort to help, I
believe the answer to your first question is yes, which I'd likely
think explains the errors the poster says to ignore (crossover/wine
would complain a bit if you've just overwritten a natively shipped
dll winelib).

As for the second question...yes, it seems confusing/counter-intuitive
to add executables to a library list, but then I'm likely to chirp that
many libraries themselves are also executables, so the notion is sane
enough. In this case, I think the missing element to the original post,
is was this all done relative to an installation into the bottle they
had Steam installed into, or relative to a 'stand alone' installation
of Anno? If we had that answer, a bit of clarity could be drawn - imho,
going by the original poster's words, I =guess= they're talking about
the installed into a Steam bottle case...but you're right, there no
way to be sure here exactly what bottle profile (if any) they were using
and/or had setup for Anno itself.

Finally, there may be a trick involved with installing this (and other)
Steam supported games into an already existing (working) Steam bottle,
so perhaps it'd be worth having a look at the Steam page for any clues
related to that procedure (I think I saw something there to do with this)

Good to see you got it running tho' (B

Dylan McNamee wrote:

One more question: when I stick a DLL into system32, there's one of
the same name already there. I'm guessing that's one from Wine, and
I'm replacing it with a "native" one from Windows, is that right?

Related, I noticed in the winecfg, that when you add libraries,
you're adding them for specific executables. The original poster
said to put the 1701.exe's into the "Libraries", but didn't say for
which executable -- or am I supposed to do it for "Default"? It's a
bit confusing sticking the game exe's into the Libraries part of
winecfg.

In spite of my issues, I was able to launch and play the game, but
so far only by running it as a command, not by launching it from
steam. Thanks for everyone's help!

Yes, the dll goes into the System32 folder. It's also added to the "Libraries" tab in WineCFG as native,builtin. Both applications, 1701.exe and 1701-addon.exe are also added to the "Libraries" tab set to native.

The bottle I'm using is WinXP with a standard Steam install. I created a fresh bottle and a fresh Steam install when I started trying to get this working. I'm currently running CXGames 7.2.1 under Mac OS X 10.5.7 with a Macbook Pro -nVidia 8600M GT.

I'm able to the launch the game directly within Steam but each time I do it says it's installing MS Direct X and takes about 1 min to start. Let me know if you need any additional info.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVWFBVzdZTDdUQWRMdmE4biIsImdkcHIiOjB9