Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Arcanum + Unofficial Patch not launching

OSX Catalina (2020 Macbook Pro, Intel processor)
CrossOver 20.0.4
GOG version of Arcanum
Drog's Unofficial Patch 2.0.2

I've tried the steps listed in the threads here to no avail. Here's what I've tried:

(1) First I tried using the crosstie on Paul the Tall's website, which also pops up if you type in Arcanum on CrossOver. The game would never install the whole way. The GOG installer would finish, I would click "exit" and then CrossOver would fail to install and give an error message ending with Arcanum "does not seem to be installed." Thought the GOG file might be corrupt, so re-downloaded. No help. Bizarrly, the game would still run, but not without multicolored, pixelated artifacts appearing all over my screen. Unusable. Deleted the bottle and started over with (2).

(2) I stopped using the crosstie and installed Arcanum on CrossOver as if it were unsupported. Successfully installed. Again, the game runs, but not without the pixelated artifacts. Thought that maybe the unofficial patch might fix the artifacts (the High Res pack might help?). Ran the patch .exe as a command inside the Arcanum bottle. It actually worked! Screen was good. But I got greedy and wanted it better, so went into the .ini file, configured it to a higher resolution, saved it, ran the .bat file, launched the game, and.... the screen was way too small. Simple fix right? Just reconfigure the .ini back to its original settings, do the .bat again, and I'm off to the races? Wrong. Game wouldn't launch anymore. Deleted the bottle and redid this exact process (minus configuring the High Res .ini) several times. Never again have I been able to launch the game with the unofficial patch installed.

(3) Deleted the bottle and tried again. This time I tried installing the patch inside the bottle using the "install a windows application" button instead of running the patch .exe as a command. Got it installed successfully, but still can't launch the game.

(4) Went back and tried steps (1)-(3) repeatedly with different variations. Tried launching from .exe and .lnk files in the c drive. Tried launching from safe mode. Tried doing the -no3d -doublebuffer command line. No dice. I just can't get the game to run with the patch.
[u]
Something is going on with the patch that prevents me from launching the game, and I have to have the patch, because the artifacts in the non-patched game are enough to give anybody a seizure. Any ideas?[/u]

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS3NBbmJ3d0dVTk1RMkNhUyIsImdkcHIiOjB9