Arx Fatalis Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

GOG version runs and plays now, but some errors leave it still unplayable

I recently bought the GOG version of Arx Fatalis. With the 8.1.4 version of CXG Mac, I can almost get it to work. The game boots and installs fine, but on the character creation screen, the game slows to an unplayable crawl. However, once the game starts, normal speed resumes. The next problem is the screen seems to arbitrarily flip upside down and backwards. I can't quite figure out what is triggering it, but it seems to happen sometimes when dialogue is initiated, or when inventory mode is entered. There also seem to be issues with some graphical effects not drawing. Unlike another use, I was able to get the game to run full screen.

When I have more time to play the game, I'll post more information.

This appears to be the status that I'm at with Arx Fatalis thus far, as well.

I, too, purchased the GOG version of Arx Fatalis. I installed the program yesterday without any difficulty.

The game does play, but as Clocknova posted, any time there is text on the screen (like during character creation) the game drops down to about 5% of its normal speed. The performance is so poor that the mouse cursor jumps all over the place while attempting to carefully maneuver it around the screen.

I checked the logs and there are a large number of errors related to the DIB engine. An example being:

fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_ClientSideDIBCopy potential optimization: client-side compressed DIB copy

The log is spammed with hundreds, if not thousands, of these messages.

The game does, however, work. Just very, very slowly when having to deal with the way the game handles fonts (and possibly other screen overlays).

The only other problem that I've encountered is that the game crashes whenever I attempt to set resolution above 1024x768. In theory (and in practice according to posters on the GOG forum and elsewhere on the internet) the game fully supports a variety of resolutions, including widescreen ones. In fact, the game offers several higher and widescreen resolutions in its graphical configuration dropdown list of options. Selecting higher modes, such as 1152x720 or 1280x800 lead to the following error (and immediate crash):

1. The screen starts flickering quickly between the normal screen and a vertically inverted one of the same image.

2. This error message is then posted to the log, around 30 times:

fixme:d3d_texture:basetexture_apply_state_changes Unrecognized or unsupported MAGFILTER* value 4

Other than those two issues, the game does run so long as you keep it in 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution, and can suffer through the painful slowdowns associated with having text on screen.

Following is a copy of the full log, in case there's anything of value in it for troubleshooting:

***** Thu Mar 18 15:32:44 2010
Starting: '/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin/wine' '--untrusted' '--bottle' 'Arx' '--workdir' '/Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Arx/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Arx Fatalis' '--' '/Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Arx/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Arx Fatalis/ARX.exe'

CXConfig->read(/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/etc/CrossOverGames.conf)
CXConfig->read(/Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/CrossOverGames.conf)
Product version=8.1.4
1340: Grabbing the lock '/var/folders/iB/iB72HuK+Hpa7ityHfWuUbk+++TI/-Tmp-//.wine-501/CrossOverGames-wine.lock'
1340: Got the lock
CXConfig->read(/Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Arx/cxbottle.conf)
Mode = 'private'
Environment:
  CX_ROOT = "/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames"
  CX_BOTTLE = "Arx"
  WINEPREFIX = "/Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Arx"
  CX_WINDOWS_VERSION = <undefined>
  PATH = "/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
  DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH = "/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/lib"
  WINEDLLPATH = "/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/lib/wine"
  WINEDLLOVERRIDES = <undefined>
  LD_PRELOAD = ""
  LD_ASSUME_KERNEL = <undefined>
  WINELOADER = "/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin/wineloader"
  WINESERVER = "/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin/wineserver"
  WINEDEBUG = <undefined>
  CX_LOG = "/Users/Name/Desktop/newlog.cxlog.partial"
  CX_DEBUGMSG = <undefined>
  CX_WINE_USAGE_LOGFILE = <undefined>
  DISPLAY = ":2"
1340: Releasing the lock
Running `"/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin/cxavscan" "/Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Arx/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Arx Fatalis/ARX.exe"`

***** Thu Mar 18 15:32:44 2010
Starting: '/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin/cxavscan' '/Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Arx/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Arx Fatalis/ARX.exe'

CXConfig->read(/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/etc/CrossOverGames.conf)
Found no anti-virus tool
-> rc=768  (took 0.150158882141113 seconds)
output=[]
Command:
/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin/wineloader winewrapper.exe --workdir /Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Arx/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Arx Fatalis --run -- /Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Arx/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Arx Fatalis/ARX.exe

** Thu Mar 18 15:32:44 2010
Starting '/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin/wineloader' 'winewrapper.exe' '--workdir' '/Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Arx/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Arx Fatalis' '--run' '--'
'/Users/Name/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Arx/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Arx Fatalis/ARX.exe'

err:d3d_caps:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps Invalid nVidia version string: "2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.6".
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e760,0x00000000), stub!
err:d3d_caps:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps Invalid nVidia version string: "2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.6".
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ec20,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
fixme:d3d7:IDirect3DImpl_7_EvictManagedTextures (0x140878): Stub!
err:ole:CoUninitialize Mismatched CoUninitialize
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4ff53b81-1ce0-11d3-aab8-00a0c95949d5} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {4ff53b81-1ce0-11d3-aab8-00a0c95949d5} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
fixme:wave:AudioUnit_SetVolume independent left/right volume not implemented (1.000000, 1.000000)
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33dbb0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
fixme:d3d7:IDirect3DImpl_7_EvictManagedTextures (0x184670): Stub!
fixme:font:WineEngRemoveFontResourceEx :stub
fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_ClientSideDIBCopy potential optimization: client-side compressed DIB copy

{many copies removed}

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e930,0x00000000), stub!

{many copies removed}

{many copies removed}

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ec60,0x00000000), stub!

{many copies removed}

{many copies removed}

fixme:d3d_draw:drawPrimitive Using software emulation because manual fog coordinates are provided
fixme:d3d_texture:basetexture_apply_state_changes Unrecognized or unsupported MAGFILTER* value 4

{many copies removed}

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x599d3000 at address 0xffff08a0 (thread 0018), starting debugger...
X connection to :2.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Thank you very much to anyone who might have ideas on how to improve how the program functions, or address any of the err: or fixme: issues in the log.

Hi,

looks like this title is subject to a few winebugs...see;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=709

FWIW, I notice my computer parts supplier has the CD version of this
for $2 .... I'll grab a copy next week when I'm there and give it a
shot to see what I can find out...

Cheers!

Thanks so much, Don!

I'll check that link out.

The parts supplier actually gave me a copy for free...nice bloke ;)

The CD version actually installs fine, but I was getting a consistent
blackscreen when starting it with COG-8.1.4 - I can hear the soundtrack,
but the graphics aren't getting to screen. I obtained similar results when
using wine-1.1.40 so I concluded to roll back to wine-1.0.1 - here, it
starts and I do see the intro movie (after doing 'winetricks directx9), and
the game itself runs.....that said....

...I can confirm that all the winebugs associated with this titles exist,
except the securom issue -- I wasn't having any problems with this in linux
with wine-1.0.1 ; Macs might have a harder time of it...

Winebug #6971 is always painful whenever I cross it...(mouse escaping window),
and the mousewarpoverride regkey doesn't help that here. We might see some
improvements with that this year sometimes...hopefully..maybe....perhaps... ;)

This business;

This definitely relates to the slowness in menus issue and other places -- I suspect this might
be subject to a memory leak and/or effect the code execution timing -- this would account for any
crashes seen wrt to the issue. FWIW I have a number of game titles from around the same era doing
pretty much the same sort of stuff (issues with d3d7 d3d8 stuffs).

I'll have another swing at it this weekend just to get a better feel of where things are wrt COG,
but due to the errors involved, it's not going to get better than what it is now me fears -- some
parts of wine will need fixing/adding to before any of this game's issues are resolved...

Cheers!

ps: can someone here tell me what to filesize is on the GOG version of ARX.exe please?

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

ps: can someone here tell me what to filesize is on the GOG version
of ARX.exe please?

2,437,120 bytes. Created Monday, November 24, 2008 at 1:51 PM.

Thanks for looking into it, Don.

Thanks for that -- I had a bit of a look about, and it would
seem the GOG release (and other digital downloads) of this
title are v1.19,,,which, if what I've read is accurate, was a
version patch only released for the digital download version....

On the other hand, there was some contradictory statement
claiming that there was no official 1.19 patch at all...but
whatever, the exe size for the GOG version differs from what
I have here...ergo, if we find any differences in behavior,
we can probably guess why...

I was looking at the wine-1.1.36 source, that error comes from
..//dlls/wined3d/basetexture.c in basetexture_apply_state_changes
and relates to anisotropic filtering which doesn't appear supported
at this time in core wine.

I checked the in-game settings and the game's .ini file. Unfortunately, there isn't any anisotropic filtering option available to disable for testing.

The Game runs here on Crossover Games for Mac latest version 8.1.4 I think.

I did the Changes to the ini File mentioned in the other Thread. It works quite okay.

Cheers

Unfortunately, thse setting have no effect with the CD version,
still get a persistent blackscreen with CXG-8.1.4

Cheers!

Update: I just tested the CD version against wine-1.1.42, and
it's working like this - no blackscreen, mouse is still jerky
in menus (but usable) and winebug #6971 is, as always, a real
pain in the rodent...and there's still a lot of fizme's hitting
the console..but otherwise it's playable in 1.1.42....

Hopefully CXG-9 will sport a newer wine-engine that will help here..

Cheers!

I just tried the GOG version with CXG 9 and things have worsened. All I get now are flashing screens with hints of what is going on. All in all, completely unplayable.

That's strange the steam version works better now than before. Well it's actually playable now (if you can figure out the controls that is) at least on my mac. I'll test it on linux.
One thing though, it has to be on an emulated desktop for it to work.

Tested Linux and the steam version doesn't launch at all on my linux machine. It even crashes the Steam bottle with it. I tested it on both emulated and full desktop.

So it works on Mac but not on Linux... interesting.

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid3lza0drWjVucUVoZjVDWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9