Assassin's Creed Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

I use following Software / OS

My used OS are as follows:

Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) with KDE4

If anyone need Details, tell me 😉

First of all, a small HowTo for installing the ATI Graphic-Card X1950 PRO for Ubuntu/KDE4

#!/bin/bash

#
# Download the Driver
#
mkdir /usr/src/ati
cd /usr/src/ati
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-8-6-x86.x86_64.run

#
# Install needed Packages for compiling the Driver
#
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++5 dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)

#
# Make the Debian Packages:
#
cd /usr/src/ati
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-8-6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/hardy

#
# Needed Configs changes
#
echo 'Add "fglrx" to the line "DISABLED_MODULES"';
sudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

echo 'if exist an entry like: blacklist fglrx';
echo 'Then put a # in the front of this lines';
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-restricted
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-local

#
# Install the Driver:
#
dpkg -i /usr/src/ati/xorg-driver-fglrx_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
dpkg -i /usr/src/ati/fglrx-kernel-source_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
dpkg -i /usr/src/ati/fglrx-amdcccle_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
exit 0;

Additional 64-bit instructions

If you have a 64 bit install, the above dpkg command may complain that "Errors were encountered while processing: fglrx-amdcccle". This is because of a dependency of the amdccle package on 32 bit libraries. If you receive this error, issue the following command after the above dpkg command, which will force the installation of all of the 32 bit dependencies, and then the amdccle package:

sudo apt-get install -f

Catalyst 8.6 on 64-bit systems requires the --force-overwrite command in the above dpkg command:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite xorg-driver-fglrx_8.501*.deb fglrx-kernel-source_8.501-0*.deb fglrx-amdcccle_8.501-0*.deb

When installing the packages, if xorg-driver-fglrx_8.501 fails to install due to a diverted file conflict, you can fix the package width this procedure.

Fix for an error:

If you are having this error:

dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: couldn't find library libfglrx_gamma.so.1 needed by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/bin/fglrx_xgamma (its RPATH is '').

Fix it by doing the following:

sudo sh ati-driver-installer-8-5-x86.x86_64.run --extract driver
cd driver/arch/x86_64/usr/X11R6/lib64
ln -s libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0 libfglrx_gamma.so.1
cd ../../../../../
sudo sh ati-installer.sh -- --buildpkg Ubuntu/hardy

Finishing the Install: Configuration

If you've used fglrx previously, you will not need to do this.

Now you'll have to edit your xorg.conf

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and add the following line to the Device section (if it does not already exist):

Section "Device"
    [...]
    Driver        "fglrx"
    [...]
EndSection

Save and exit, then run

sudo aticonfig --initial -f

in a terminal. If it does not error you should be fine.

Some people find that changes to xorg.conf don't get used by the driver. To force the ati driver to adopt changes made to xorg.conf, type the following command:

sudo aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf --tls=1

Finally, reboot the computer and type

fglrxinfo

into the terminal. If the vendor string contains ATI, you have installed the driver successfully.

Please note: Depending on the particular ATI card that you own, you may or may not automatically have all of the relevant driver features enabled. R500 and R600 cards (X1xxx, HD series, and newer) in particular will need TexturedVideo enabled in Xorg.conf (rather than the traditional VideoOverlay) in order to support Xv accelerated video playback.

Removing Mesa drivers

If fglrxinfo reports that Indirect rendering by Mesa is in place, even though you have installed ATI driver, check:

• Remove the package xserver-xgl. *

Explanation: If you installed this previously in order to make compiz work, it will not allow direct rendering on your display. You can check out if this is what it causing the problem by running

DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo | grep render
        If it returns an ATI renderer, it means that xgl is being displayed indirectly on the display 1. (Taken from [1])   
        Warning: This might make your compiz stop working as it is configured to use XGL. A solution might be to run the Envy script in order to configure compiz.   
        Also, if Compiz stopped working due to "Composite" problem, check that   

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

is set. 

** Check you are running the correct kernel. *

**Explanation**: If you're upgrading from Gutsy to Hardy in some instances the Grub bootloader does not get updated and the new kernel is not loaded.   
        Run in a terminal:   
    uname -r

If the output starts with 2.6.22 or below you are not using the current kernel and the Ati drivers will not load properly. 

If this doesn't help, try [Ubuntu Gutsy Installation Guide#Verifying](http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Gutsy_Installation_Guide#Verifying), or other links: [[2]](http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Troubleshooting#No_3D_acceleration), [[3]](http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_fglrx#Perpetual_Mesa_GLX_Indirect_on_Debian), [[4]](http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-475699.html). 

If you become a "Black Screen of Death" then check following:

1. rise AGP Size in the Mainboard of minimum 256MB if you have a 512 MB Card
  2. take OFF FastWrite in the AGP Bios Section
  3. take a look at my xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "de"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "CorePointer"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver          "fglrx"
        BusID           "PCI:9:0:0"
        Option          "AGPv3Mask" "0x00000002"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

If you become a Desktop like a Zebra then aktivate in the "ATI Catalyst Control Center" under 3D -> Anti Aliasing = 2x
Then Test again 😊

I hope this Infos will help anyone 😊

Now the easy installation of CrossOver 😊

Download the latest Build for your System, i will use the Debian Package for my Ubuntu System

sudo dpkg -i crossover-games_7.0.0-1_i386.deb

Tomorrow i will test the first Game Installation

Look for that in the "actual Tests" Thread

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVXJHblB4dXZRNHNSa3FNUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9