Battlefield 1942 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Tracking Wine Exceptions in Dumps

I was getting "wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xffffffff at address 0x4ff39164 (thread 0020), starting debugger..." exception on initial run of Battlefield 1942 at the point where it was almost getting into the GUI Menu system startup.

Luckly using the Battlefield1942.tie install file, cxrun would dump debugging output on exceptions and other breaks.

In this case, you'll notice the break is at address 0x4ff39164 in the above debug data.

Further into the debug output is a list of library names with their execution address ranges in memory.

ie:

Module Address Debug info Name (92 modules)
PE 340000- 394000 Deferred msvcr70
PE 400000- a96000 Deferred bf1942
PE 30000000-3006d000 Deferred binkw32
ELF 4f129000-4f132000 Deferred librt.so.1
ELF 4fee2000-4ffb5000 Export libasound.so.

... surprisingly, you'll see the exception address falls within libasound.so! This means my sound isn't working or configured properly. Going into cxsetup > winecfg or windows configure and toggle to the Sound menu. You'll have some options to play with choosing Alsa or OSS sound systems. To quickly work around this bug, I just disabled/unchecked both the sound modules and found myself quickly working around this exception and into the initial game GUI menus.

(This sound bug will likely resolve into a kernel level problem with my sound card as it's been acting up for the past week or so with kexec reboots instead of hard boots, as well as a recent kernel upgrade.)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUlZLZTR1N2V1VWhuQVBZZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9