Battlefield Bad Company 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game is working in Wine 1.3.9 --so close with CX Mac 9.2

Having tested with Crossover Game 9.2 for Mac I can say that the only workaround needed to get the Steam Version of the game "running" is to change the following option in ~/Documents/BFBC2/settings.ini:

To: DxVersion=9

This will get the game to run and work as far as the menus are concerned. The need to do this is currently due to a bug that is being tracked in Wine-dev.

The only problem is that there is a d3d rendering issue in Wine 1.2 which was fixed in Wine-dev 1.3.9. The bug is 22617 and is listed here:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22617

I was able to use WineSkin with Wine 1.3.9 to play the game online and in single-player mode. In single-player mode the only other problem is that the cut scenes have a timing issue and play too quickly(in a few seconds rather than a few minutes).

I think we are one bug fix (one that is already fixed in Wine-dev) from having the game being Bronze quality.

Actually one more bug that was fixed in 1.3.9 but is actually a regression:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25356

Since it's a regression it probably won't be an issue...but who knows.

Hi Joseph. Just picked this game up off of Steam in the big sale yesterday, so I'm excited to try it out in Crossover and see if it works. Can you tell me whether you are able to join Punkbuster enabled games at all? As far as I know, WineHQ compatibility reports that only non-Punkbuster games work, but I've heard of some people getting Punkbuster to properly install, though they have to manually update it.

Would enjoy hearing back from you.

I had only a few glitches on my ubuntu, but everything seems to work fine for me, had to disable a few effects tho.

Punkbuster games included? I know some people have had success in WINE in entering Punkbuster games. And which effects did you disable?

I was trying with WineSkin under Wine 1.3.9...CX Games Mac 9.2 doesn't display in-game properly due to rendering issues in DX9 no matter what graphics settings I use. Like I said that bug was fixed in Wine 1.3.9. I don't believe the Linux version 9.2.1 would fix this problem but if someone knows that the game plays properly in the Linux version please post the settings used so I can test on the Mac version.

I'll have to check on Punkbuster compatibility but I believe I ran it fine under Wine 1.3.9. Getting the steam version of the game working under Wineskin was bit of a pain given the installation prereqs failing.

Punkbuster won't install properly under Wine 1.3.9. I was able to run it by installing under 1.2.1 and then running under 1.3.9. I may have gotten lucky though in not getting kicked with an unknown windows api error. They are likely inevitable. There is a small number of servers that don't have a password and don't have PB enabled.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZUFjdDU4R2QzRU1hR2VGOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9