Battlefield Play4Free Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

BFP4F using Crossover 12.5 works, but no Punkbuster support [Update: PB working maybe

I found this guide on Youtube for a Linux/Wine installation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R7CzvYpQ7s - and used it as a basis for my own attempt.

Packages installed:

• IE8 (for the Dependencies I think)
  • Wine mono
  • .NET 2
  • C++ 2005
  • C++ 2008
  • Directx9
  • Directx Modern
  • Firefox 3
  • BFP4F plugin from the battlefield.play4free.com website (using Firefox)

Unfortunately Punkbuster doesn't work, so you get kicked from most servers.

I'm using a Macbook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012). Works on Very Low and Low graphics settings - but it crashes on Med and High (in either windowed or full-screen).

I had a complete computer grey-screen crash the first time I ran it, but subsequent runs seemed to work (or crashed without taking my whole computer down).

--

UPDATE: PUNKBUSTER SEEMS TO WORK

I tried to update Punkbuster using pbsetup.exe, but that didn't work - but manually downloading and installing the files did:

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-bfp4f.php

So 'Manage Bottles', open the relevant bottle -- then browse to Progs > EA > P4F > pb. Install bottom set of files into "htm/" and pbset.htm in the "pb" folder (actually i put in "htm/" too).

Reconnect, and as far as I can tell - i don't get kicked.

BUT: I noticed my "pbsec.htm" file seemed to disappear from time-to-time (perhaps as a result of self-update by P4F). So i needed to copy it back into the "pb" folder (I keep a backup copy "pbsec-MASTER.htm" there and just duplicate it and rename it to "pbsec.htm" before playing).

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSEVwTmhXVVZVYXJUNXV6TSIsImdkcHIiOjB9