Beyond Good and Evil Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Sound synchronisation with 'dsound.dll'...

Hi,
i installed BG&E (GOG version) with crossover 14 in an xp bottle on Mac 10.7. Game is working great, thanks to all the people working on creating the useful crossties 😊

But I had some problems with the speech not being synchronised with the video.
So I followed the post from Silviu Cojocaru, and I downloaded the dsound.dll file from the link in this post:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13046#c43

I replaced the file in my '.../Bottles/Beyond Good and Evil/drive_c/Windows/system32/' Folder.
I did not make any further changes, but the sound is still not synchron with the video :(

Any advice?
Thanks in advance! 😊

Hi,

Unfortunately, all my initial testing was done on Linux. Maybe someone that uses Mac OS can help you.

T P wrote:

I replaced the file in my '.../Bottles/Beyond Good and
Evil/drive_c/Windows/system32/' Folder.
I did not make any further changes, but the sound is still not
synchron with the video :(

As explained in the winehq bug report you'll have to configure Wine to prefer this DLL over its own version. You can do that with winecfg, which is available through the bottle configuration dialog.

You'll also have to use a Windows Vista or Windows 7 bottle. Native dsound.dll will not work with winver = winxp.

Also DLLs from Windows require a Windows license.

Stefan, this (setting the native dll as the preferred one and setting the proper Windows version) is already taken care of in the crosstie, unless the executable is not named BGE.exe.

Thanks for your replies!

These are my settings, I didn't change them in any way (see screenshot).

What happens if you set dsound to just native?

Unfortunately, it doesnt change anything.

But I noticed now, with using the downloaded dsound.dll file, the sound is very "scratchy", it is uncomfortable for me to listen to it.

With the default dsound.dll file, the sound is clear and normal.

But the unsynchronized audio/video problem persists, no matter which dll file I am using.

Bummer :/

Thanks for your help anyways, I appreciate your support :)

The good thing: The game is play-able.
There are some sounds missing, and sometimes I have a sound which is looping again and again, for some minutes. But this does not happen very often... its ok.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSkpaSzVkaENUMkhUcWVRSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9