BibleWorks 9 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installing Bibleworks 9 in Linux (Debian): permissions problem with fonts????

I've tried installing Bibleworks 9 a few times: with Crossover Office Professional 10.1 and Games 10.1.1 with the .deb files in Debian Testing (Wheezy) Linux. I tried the .bin file with a new install of Crossover Games, but got the same problem. I'm using the amd64 flavour of Debian. I've used google to find a solution for Bibleworks, or a generic solution, but can't find anything.

The installation itself appears to go fine. The three DVDs are detected in turn, and installation completes successfully - or seems to.

But the problem is that it seems to need some kind of permission to install an apparently missing font file - though I've done my best to manually install this myself in drive_c/windows/fonts of the relevant bottle.

I get the following dialogues when I run the program:

[1]
"Bibleworks needs to make changes to your system which require administrative approval.

If you see a "Run As" window after you click on the OK button below, you must UNCHECK the "Protect my computer" check box beore proceeding.

If you are running under a Limited User Account (LUA) you must provide the appropriate credentials. To do this choose an administrative account and enter the appropriate password in the "Run As" window when it appears."

I click OK.

[2]

same dialogue appears as [1]

I click OK

[3]
"BibleWorks needs to reinstall the Bwsupps font. This operation requires a reboot of your computer. This can be scheduled to take place next time you restart your system.

If you would like to schedule this action please click on "yes" below. You may be prompted to give permission before proceeding."

I click "Yes"

[4]

same dialogue appears as [1]

I click OK.

[5]
"BibleWorks fonts will be reinstalled the next time you restart Windows. Please restart Windows before running BibleWorks again.

I click OK. I simulate a reboot in the relevant bottle. I run BW900.exe again. Cycle goes back to [1] and repeats ad infinitum.

Below, if it helps, is a summary of _fontlog.txt in the "Bibleworks 9" directory:

Any help would be massively appreciated, as this is a bit of a showstopper.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

THE START:

fontkey is Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
RegOpenKeyEx Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
true

Clear out Sbl_hbrw
RegDeleteValue fail
Clear out SBL Hebrew (TrueType)
RegDeleteValue true

THEN LOTS OF ENTRIES FOR DIFFERENT FONTS LIKE THIS:
Clear out registry entry Bwcyrl (TrueType)
RegDeleteValue success

Clear out registry entry Bwcyrl
RegDeleteValue fail

RegDeleteValue for True Type is "success"
otherwise "fail"

INCLUDING:

Clear out registry entry Bwsupp (TrueType)
RegDeleteValue success

Clear out registry entry Bwsupp
RegDeleteValue fail

Clear out registry entry Bwsupps (TrueType)
RegDeleteValue success

Clear out registry entry Bwsupps
RegDeleteValue fail

BUT:

Clear out registry entry SBL Hebrew (TrueType)
RegDeleteValue fail

Clear out registry entry SBL Hebrew
RegDeleteValue fail

AND MORE FONTS MENTIONED, AS BEFORE

THEN NEW MESSAGES, FOR DIFFERENT FONTS IN THIS PATTERN:

Installing Bwcyrl
Delete C:\windows\fonts\Bwcyrl.ttf
Copying c:\program files\bibleworks 9\Bwcyrl.ttf to C:\windows\fonts\Bwcyrl.ttf

Installing Bweess
Delete C:\windows\fonts\Bweess.ttf
Copying c:\program files\bibleworks 9\Bweess.ttf to C:\windows\fonts\Bweess.ttf

ENDING WITH THIS ERROR MESSAGE:

SetFileAttributes() failed for font cache C:\windows\ttfcache - error code 2
DeleteFile() failed for font cache C:\windows\ttfcache

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nick wrote:

I've tried installing Bibleworks 9 a few times: with Crossover
Office Professional 10.1 and Games 10.1.1 with the .deb files in
Debian Testing (Wheezy) Linux. I tried the .bin file with a new
install of Crossover Games, but got the same problem. I'm using the
amd64 flavour of Debian. I've used google to find a solution for
Bibleworks, or a generic solution, but can't find anything.

I use Fedora, so I am not familar with Debian. I'm going to have to assume that you looked at the requirements page and have made sure that all the prerequisites have been met:

python >= 2.4
gtk2 >= 2.10
python-gtk2 >= 2.10
X.org with XRender and GLX support
150 MB of free disk space, and space for installed applications

I would not use the Games version. Professional is what I use.

There is a CrossTie file for BibleWorks 9, but I have been having problems when I try to use it. Try this procedure instead:

1. Choose the CrossTie for Internet Explorer 7 under "Supported Applications."
  2. Tell it to install in an XP bottle. I chose to go ahead and give mine the name of BibleWorks since that was where I was going to install BibleWorks 9.
  3. Let the Internet Explorer installation finish. When it is done, the Installed Applications list in your Bottle Manager should contain these items:
    a. Crossover HTML Engine
    b. Flash 10 ActiveX Control
    c. Internet Explorer 7
    d. Microsoft HTML Rendering Engine 7
    e. Microsoft XMLLite for Windows XP
    f. Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0
    g. msls31
    h. the Core Fonts (Times New Roman, Ariel, etc.)
  4. Choose the bottle from the Bottle Manager and on the Installed Applications tab, choose the option to Install a program.
  5. Choose the "Other Application" option.
  6. Set up your source for installation as you did before.
  7. It should have selected your "BibleWorks" or whatever name you gave your bottle for you.
  8. Let the installation proceed. It should complete.
  9. If you have the DVD's version 1 or 2 (small print on DVD), you will get error messages if you have a multiple-core processor. If you have a single-core processor, you won't see them. It is safe to cancel those and apply the fix of the updated executable and map files from BibleWorks as the CrossTie specifies.
    10 After the simulated reboot, your installation should be complete.

If it completed successfully, you should be good to go. If not, then there may be one other thing you need to do. You should find in your /opt/cxoffice/bin directory a utility called cxdiag. run that. It will tell you what libraries you may be missing. Here's an example:

$ ./cxdiag
[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

[MissingLibGphoto2]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgphoto2.so.2 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications access digital cameras."

if I were running an applicaton that needed them, then I would find what program supplies the missing library and install it. Since I didn't need the two above libraries, I didn't bother.

Please let me know how this works out for you. I have been tied up or I would have replied earlier.

Edit:

I too have seen the same update request when the program updates to 9.0.008m.1. However, it seems to complete with no issues.

Sorry, I've just seen your very detailed response.

However, after upgrading my system:

• to Crossover 11,
  • to KDE 4.7.4 from 4.6.5
  • to Xorg 7.6 from 7.5
    (My system is based on Debian Testing - but for some reason the latest xorg repeatedly crashed my desktop. I've solved that problem, I think by, removing the package xfs. This may be connected, as xfs is font-related.)

I clicked on the Bibleworks icon on my Desktop to see what would happen, and suddenly it seems to WORK EXTREMELY WELL. Quite where the problem lay, I have no idea. But it now works extremely well. Errors spotted so far:

• the text lags somewhat when scrolled with the mouse-wheel.
  • closing pink or green coloured resources crashes Bibleworks The purple ones seem OK.

I'm happy to try a regular install (into a separate bottle) if that would debug any issues.

If there are any features that may not work with Crossover, I'm happy to give them a try to see if they work on my system.

Many thanks

Nick

Nick wrote:

Sorry, I've just seen your very detailed response.

However, after upgrading my system:

• to Crossover 11,
  • to KDE 4.7.4 from 4.6.5
  • to Xorg 7.6 from 7.5
    (My system is based on Debian Testing - but for some reason the
    latest xorg repeatedly crashed my desktop. I've solved that
    problem, I think by, removing the package xfs. This may be
    connected, as xfs is font-related.)

I clicked on the Bibleworks icon on my Desktop to see what would
happen, and suddenly it seems to WORK EXTREMELY WELL. Quite where
the problem lay, I have no idea. But it now works extremely well.
Errors spotted so far:

• the text lags somewhat when scrolled with the mouse-wheel.
  • closing pink or green coloured resources crashes Bibleworks The
    purple ones seem OK.

I'm happy to try a regular install (into a separate bottle) if that
would debug any issues.

If there are any features that may not work with Crossover, I'm
happy to give them a try to see if they work on my system.

Many thanks

Nick

I am glad that this works now for you. I am not familiar with xfs. are you referring to the XFS filesystem or xorg-x11-xfs (xfs font server)? I'm not sure why having either installed would cause your problem, but if removing it fixed the problem without breaking anything else, then that is good.

Problem 1: It does not seem to lag when scrolling down, but when I scroll up, the text becomes broken. Scrolling above where I want to be and scrolling down fixes it so it looks right. Using page-up/page-down instead of mouse or touchpad scrolling does not exhibit this. I noticed that this does not seem to occur with the Hebrew text but does with the English or Greek texts.

Problem 2: Yes, that is a big one, and the reason BibleWorks 9 only gets a Silver from me. It has to do with the files that are based on .chm (compressed HTML) format. As long as you don't try to close them or use the icons above the text box, they work well enough. Instead of closing, if I need to use one, I just bring the main BW window forward, then when I am done, close the main BW program which also closes any resource windows which may be open. Hopefully, this will one day be fixed. It would give me great pleasure to give BW9 a Gold rating.

Other than that, as long as you have the proper 32 bit libraries installed (including xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686 for proprietary Nvidia driver if used), The stock radeon driver for the ATI 9804 video in my netbook also seems to work quite well. things seem to function very well, including viewing the various videos. The map in BibleWorks 9 is outstanding. I have been using it to trace Paul's missionary journeys.

Please do post anything you find. The more of us looking at it and using it, the more opportunities to help each other with issues.

Other than those 2 problems, BW seems to be quite reliable.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTXU5ekNhZnJ3Zzl0MzhaTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9