BibleWorks 9 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossTie items

The CrossTie for BibleWorks 9 installs Internet Explorer 7. Is there a reason for this? I have been running BW9 in CX 10 for some time without IE7 and it did not seem to make any difference in functionality. The regular HTML engine in cx seems to be adequate.

I mention this as it seems the only thing that seems to make an XP bottle necessary is that IE7 will not install in a Vista bottle. However, BW9 itself seems to have no problem running in a Vista bottle with the CX html engine.

My CX 10 Vista bottle which has been running BW9 fine with the only apparent problem being the persistant difficulty with .chm files has these items:

BibleWorks 9
Crossover HTML Engine
Flash 10 Active X Control
Microsoft DirectX Runtime-Modern (not sure if this one is needed or not)
Core Fonts (listed individually in the bottle contents)

That's it.

Update:

Well, it looks like a bit more searching has yielded the answer as to why XP. IE7 is apparently incompatible with the Vista bottle. Javascript is required for the videos to play, and the native HTML engine does not appear to support javascript.

The DirectX Runtime-Modern is not needed. I think I had installed it when I thought it would help. Right now, it is just a carry-over on my CX10 installaton since it looks like once it is installed, it can't be removed. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything though.

I personally would rather have javascript support and not IE7 (or any version of IE) on my machines. I looked, and it seems that the most recent version of FireFox in the listings is 4.0. Since the current FireFox is 10.x, it has changed quite a bit. Beside, the installer told me it also was not compatible with a Vista bottle. Seems a shame to lock in to a version that Microsoft is poised to drop at the end of March 2014 at the latest, with major fixes having already ceased for that platfom.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWEdwUUZHZHZONE5QZjJkZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9