Big Fish Games Manager Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Some Big Fish Game titles require 'emulate a virtual desktop' to be enabled.

By default, the Big Fish Games Manager bottle has the 'emulate a virtual desktop'
feature disabled ; the majority of Big Fish Game titles work like this. There are
those however that will -only- work if 'emulate a virtual desktop' in enabled in
the Wine Configuration GUI. The catch here is, you can't have both modes available
in the same bottle ... ie; if you launch the Big Fish Games Manager with 'emulate
a virtual desktop OFF (like we do), any game that you launch with the Big Fish
Games Manager inherits that setting, and there's no way to change that presently.

For this reason, any Crosstie profiles I've entered that require emulated virtual
desktop mode to be ON, should be installed into their own bottle to allow that to
happen without disrupting the majority of Big Fish Games titles. There are some
Crosstie profiles I've entered that are considerate of this situation, and try to
do just that, because if they were installed into the Big Fish Games Manager bottle,
the games themselves would/will not work, simple as that 8) I should also point out,
that those many games that do run without emulated virtual desktop mode enabled,
have their own builtin windowed mode available in the game's menu options, so you
can turn fullscreen mode in the game OFF there if you so desire.

Another alternative here, is to enable emulated virtual desktop mode for the Big
Fish Games Manager bottle itself. Although it may not look quite as 'clean' with
the BFGM GUI perched in the middle of a black background window, it does have the
advantage of being able to run all Big Fish Game titles in their native fullscreen
mode, with the emulated virtual desktop window resizing itself to fit whatever
the game actually needs. How people want to handle this is ultimately the realm of
'user choice', and thus I just wanted to make it clear what options you have here.

If you want a quick and easy way to enable emulated virtual desktop mode @ 1024x768
(which is what I would recommend), you can 'install' the following virtual Crosstie
into your Big Fish Games Manager bottle .. ;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=7781

I did promise Aric Stewart (creator of the install profile) -not- to reference the
above C4 page without reasonable cause, and this is borderline, here, as the usage
examples would otherwise make me think to enable emulated virtual desktop for the
Big Fish Games Manager install profile <grin> .. imho it should be easy to do, and
if your choice turns out to be a bad one, you're going to learn all about the Wine
Configuration GUI anyway to undo what was 1-click easy to enable.

To disable the setting the above virtual Crosstie puts in place, start the Crossover
Games bottle manager (Manage Bottles), highlight the Big Fish Games Manager in the
left pane of the GUI, click on the Control Panel tab to the right, the Launch the
Wine Configuration item. In the Wine Configuration GUI, click on the Graphics tab.
There you will see the 'Emulate a virtual desktop setting - uncheck the tickbox, then
click on Apply to save the change, then OK to exit the GUI ; that's it, all done.
You would do the reverse if even you wanted to enable this feature of couse.

Cheers!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidzlSQ1dKVVZWQ3h6dXVRUyIsImdkcHIiOjB9