Big Fish Games Manager Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Big Fish Game Manager 2013

Hello,
This thread hasn't been active in awhile but it's worth a try.

On the Big Fish Games Manager page, under "Mini Big Fish Games HowTo - CXG 9.1 Mac & linux", there is a tantalizing offer: "If you need help getting a BFG title running, see the forum posting here." The word "here" is not hotlinked but I'm hoping the offer still stands; I've just been unable to find the appropriate thread.

Can someone help me get the Finders Keepers game working on the Big Fish Games Manager? I'm running Crossover 12.5 on an iMac running OS X 10.6.8. I can get the Game Manager running but not the game. Has anyone recently had any success running a demo/trial game on the BFG game manager? (If I can get the demo game to run I'll purchase the full game - again - in spite of already having purchased a previous version, not from BFG, which I've been unable to get running in Crossover).

If the game truly won't ever run that's fine - (well, it's not but at least it would be a definitive answer). There's just so many variables to this software that I can't be certain that I've done everything correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I believe the advocate that was most familiar with Big Fish hasn't been around for a while. However, I do have a handful of Big Fish games myself. I'll give the demo a try and will let you know if I discover anything.

I didn't find a solution tonight.

Here's what I noticed:

Current crosstie for Big Fish Games Manager (BFGM) installs version 3.0.1.60. Latest version is actually 3.2.0.6 and can be updated from the BFGM itself with no problems (Options -> About -> search for updates).

But the demo installer stubs don't work. These .exe files are small stubs (~250kB) that check your BFGM version, update it if necessary, then cause the BFGM to add the selected game to your Queue and begin downloading. The download itself is what fails. If you force BFGM to close and open it again the game title (Finders Keepers in this case) was still in the Queue but does not start downloading by itself. If you trigger the download by clicking the small "play" button on the title BFGM stops responding, just like before.

Now, this has happened before, but I don't know how it got fixed. I think it might have been something related to IE rendering engines. As it stands now, it looks like ZERO games are downloadable from Big Fish.

Debug log with +thread and +wininet is here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wsc3xiyhqwvmyf0/find.cxlog.tar.bz2

Ninjas and other advocates: suggestions on how to proceed are welcome!

I will also file a ticket.

I tried the same thing Yesterday and had the exact same result as you but before I could write here in the forum real life interfered and kept me busy until now...as sometimes happens. Real life can be so inconvenient :)

What I also did was to install IE 8 in that bottle just to see whether this works better but the results were identical. Downloading stuff in the browser worked fine so it has nothing to do with network/connectivity or similar.

Wow, thanks so much to both of you for your help.

Alejandro, I was getting the same issue; the game manager would run but would not download the game. I also tried running older versions as well as the Jenkat game manager, and was not able either open a game or download from any of the game manager(s).

Eveline, when you mention "downloading stuff in the browser worked fine" are you referring to the BFG game manager? I was not able to download the game from the BFG window. I'm going to try downloading IE 8 as well, though - thanks for the tip.

I was able to get my older version of the FK game to open without using a game manager, but it crashes right after starting-up. J-P on another thread was helpfully able to find a DLL error but I was never able to replicate that error, in spite of running logs pretty well constantly.

Ah no...I just downloaded the installer from Bigfishgames using IE 8 as a test that the bottle can connect to the Internet and the fault is really with the game manager and nothing else.

Alejandro, I hate to impose further on your generosity but am hoping you will let us know if there is a response, either way, on your filed ticket.

Oh, sorry about that!

I did file a ticket, and it in turn got filed into a Bug.

I think the last time the fix was in switching some DLLs to "native", I'll see if the crosstie has any clues.

Edit: IE7's crosstie has a ton of DLL overrides. Maybe the new BFGM needs a newer browser (IE8) and that browser also needs some overrides? I'll see if I can get a chance to test this.

Hi everyone,

I have also the same problem ever since Big Fish released the new Game Manager. I re-downloaded it from CrossTie and also installed it separately (manually) but didn't work at all. As Alejandro mentioned I also get the message with the stubs. Game Manager can be installed (and actually automatically updates the new version, even though I took out this option), however, it stops functioning as soon as I want to download a game - it ends right there and says ready to download and nothing happens. I also tried to download an older version of the GM but again it automatically updates itself to new version.

Would be great, if anyone could help us further to solve the problem. Thanks a bunch.

Regards,
Odette

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiN2RCWUw4Tm02YnRYTXEydyIsImdkcHIiOjB9