City of Heroes Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Indirect Path to calling the application...

Recently I had to reinstall COH on a different computer.

Previously, when I installed COH the link to call COH from ~/Applications/CrossOver Games/cohupdater.app/Contents/Info.plist was very direct and easy for me to edit and change the flags.

Now I have this instead:

<key>CrossOverHelperCommand</key>
        <string>"/Users/jackal/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/COH-Bottle/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A^5Fusers^5Fcrossover^5FStart^2BMenu/cohupdater"</string>
        <key>CrossOverHelperMenuPath</key>
        <string>StartMenu.C^3A_users_crossover_Start+Menu/cohupdater</string>

So following the trail.. I go find "StartMenu.C^3A_users_crossover_Start+Menu/cohupdater" and see what it is:

$ more "Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/COH-Bottle/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A^5Fusers^5Fcrossover^5FStart^2BMenu/cohupdater"
#!/bin/sh
exec "/Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/bin/wine" --bottle "COH-Bottle" --check --wait-children --start "C:/users/crossover/Start Menu/cohupdater.lnk" "$@"

So following the trail... I go find "C:/users/crossover/Start Menu/cohupdater.lnk":

$ file "/Users/jackal/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/COH-Bottle/drive_c/users/crossover/Start Menu/cohupdater.lnk"
/Users/jackal/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/COH-Bottle/drive_c/users/crossover/Start Menu/cohupdater.lnk: MS Windows shortcut

So that's a window's shortcut. In Windows you right click the short cut and get properties to add options to the command line (like -renderthread 0) ... but here I'm lost.

This used to be so direct and easy to edit... not it's a long path of links to links to links... Very confusing and hard to follow.

I'm to assume I could change "string" in the original file and make it call the cohupdater.exe directly and skip all these links to shell script to links... but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions how to make this more cleanly call cohupdater.exe ?

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUlV5NFo0Nndock15V3NkayIsImdkcHIiOjB9