City of Heroes Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CoH in Crossover Games 7.0.0 in Linux

Just added a screenshot to the queue of it running in Linux with the Compiz enhancements under Ubuntu and alongside Songbird 0.5. :D

Runs quite smooth at 1152x864 on my home built computer:
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
GeForce 4 Ti4400
1.5 GB RAM

Runs smooth at Performance settings and doesn't seem to slow down other apps.

Cons:

• The mouse pointer just shows up as a black square. No problem since the click point is at the upper left of the square.
  • The costume designer screen crashes the game.
  • Sometimes the CoH Updater doesn't connect to the updating servers and leaves you with nothing to do except quit. I found that restarting the CoH Updater several times when this happens gets it to eventually work. This happens, I've noticed, most often after a crash of the game.

Personal cons and a plea:
I miss using my Logitech MX Revolution's full capabilities in CoH. :( Can anybody suggest any utility that can get my MX Rev working under Ubuntu Linux? Preferably with app specific options like the Windows and Mac OS X official Logitech utility? I tried btnx, but it seems to have some faults that would make app specific settings impossible.

Ok, here are some more bugs I've found.

• Every once in a while it'll crash because there are too many players on the screen at once. Can be a problem in large teams, task forces and social areas like Pocket D, in Wentworth and under Atlas. Bug reproducible.
  • Chat has a problem where if you click in the chat entry you have to hit a key for it to take the first letter in the typed chat. Sometimes chats start without the first capital letter in the sentence. For ex: "ey, how are you doing, Super Person?" where "ey" is actually "Hey" Bug reproducible.
  • Can make Linux completely unresponsive (the mouse moves though) requiring a hard restart if you're playing in full screen. Unknown if this happens in windowed mode as well. Bug not reproducible. Random occurrence. Though I suspect it has something to do with the first bug I mentioned in this post.

All the bugs from the first reply in this thread show up on Crossover Games 7.0.0 on the Mac too.

I don't know what causes the random game crashes, I'm not sure that it is because of too many players being on the screen as it seems to occur randomly, but the crashes happen regularly for me. The crashes occur almost like clockwork whilst in Atlas Plaza, although interacting with an NPC delays the crash until the interaction is concluded.

I have experienced two instances of Mac OS becoming totally unresponsive apart from the mouse, requiring hard restarts. I consider it possible that these crashes are simply instances of the general crashing problem but with the crash being particularly ungraceful.

To add to Ryan Martinez's post about keys being "lost" in chat, when you hit Enter to send a message, the focus remains on the chat box, just as if you had pressed Enter a second time. Pressing Escape or selecting a target takes the focus back to the main window, though.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidThDR2FrbUp3c0VaVXRrciIsImdkcHIiOjB9