City of Heroes Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

The load bar of death...

Sorry for the long drawn out story but I need to know were I went wrong. I have a brand new Mac book pro. this is a top shelf model. However, I have been a PC guy my whole life so now I am a complete computer illiterate fool. I loaded Crossover for the soul purpose of playing Coh/v. Crossover loaded fine I put the disk in and let it do its thing when it was done I finished answering all its questions and let it close out. 2 months later I bought Coh/V and a 30 day prepay card. I put in the Coh/v disk and let it do its thing 20 min later it automatically connected me to the NCsoft website to register the game and put in my time card. I did all that and It all worked fine. It finished installing and I ejected the disk. Then I tried to play. I went into the Coh/v folder that had been created by the installation and found 4 items: City of Heroes, City Of Heroes Website, PlayNC account Registration, and Uninstall City Of Heroes. So then I did what any one else would have done I double clicked the City Of Heroes one. The Coh/v updater came up and the first time said I needed some updates I installed them. then it said next I clicked next which brought me to the User agreement, I clicked I agree the little screen went away and a blue and black bar appeared that said loading. so I waited... and waited... and waited and nothing happened. My computer didn't freeze I didn't get the little pinwheel of death nothing crashed it just stopped there. I eventually had to force quit both the Game and Crossover. I've tried several time since the same thing happens. What do I do? Besides play World Of Warcraft...

Hello Stephen ! I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but I remember having this problem when I installed City of Heroes back when I was still using Cedega (I'm a Linux user, though, so your mileage may vary). If I remember correctly, running the installer in windowed mode solved the problem. You might want to try that.

How do you do that ? On my Linux system, I go to Crossover -> Configuration, select the "Manage bottles tab", select the CoH bottle and the click Configure. Then, go to the Control Panel tab and select winecfg. Select the Graphics tab and use "Emulate a virtual desktop" , giving it a decent window size. ;)

I really hope this works for you !

OK, I did what you said to the letter and it still stalled at the same place. Granted it was now in this cool black window instead of my desktop, but little black and blue LOADING bar and that was it... I think I might keep it up there it adds to the esthetic;-( Some ones gotta know how to fix this. PLEASE!!!

Okay, I was running into the same problem when I did a clean install using 7.1.0, I told the COX to use safe mode, loaded all the way. Once I had it running I was able to login, select a server, and character, once in I could go to options and change the resolution to what I wanted it to run at (I use an iMac 17" 1.83 core duo, ATI X1600 1.5 gigs of RAM and 10.5.4) restarted, no problems since then!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOVdmR3BKYUczYmVWNWR2QSIsImdkcHIiOjB9