Civilization III: Complete Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Ugly fix, but it runs the game

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3498

Specifically, post 24

$ sudo su -

cd ~user/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/"Firaxis Games"/"Civilization III"

chown root . civ3PTW Conquests

chmod 1775 . civ3PTW Conquests

ln -s LSANS.TTF LSANS.FOT

ln -s LSANS.TTF civ3PTW/LSANS.FOT

ln -s LSANS.TTF Conquests/LSANS.FOT

I was able to get the Steam version of the game up and running (changing directories appropriately to find the root of Civ3). That said, I've never played any version of Civ on the PC before, so I can't vouch for how well it's running, but I did create a Warrior before quitting to do other stuff.

After playing for a little (and mind you, I've never played Civ3 on a PC before)

• When my palace was upgraded, the cheering sound got stuck in a loop indefinitely
  • The background music was a steady drum beat and a bird tweeting, looping every 3 or so seconds. That didn't seem right
  • The game always seems to crash Gnome on exit
  • Clicking menu items seems to only sometimes work immediately. Suffice to say the behavior is buggy.

Not unexpected considering the game is listed as "Doesn't work at all", but it's better than nothing.

Hi,

I used this trick as well. It is sufficient to just chown root the three files.

OK so you used the Steam version. Were you able to see the in-game map?

I only see a corrupted in-game map. My sys:
Civ 3 (non-Steam) + Civ 3:Conquests on XOverGames 8.1.4 on Ubuntu amd64, ATI fglrx video driver

I don't experience the corrupt in-game map. The game runs perfectly sufficient for me; albeit, a UI that is a litte slow to respond. Also, I can't seem to get a multiplayer game started.

With CXGames 9.0.0 the corrupt in-game map is gone; however I see other graphics distortions that make the game play
virtually impossible.
This might be due to I have to switch to compiz for the game. When using metacity, the game window is clipped at all borders.

if you add PlayIntro=0, to conquests.ini, in teh conquests folder... itsss worksss, without compiz :O. -sexy i know

anyways, add that to your guide.

As for me, the game is flawless except for the playback issue, you HAVE to turn music off, or it halts at some point(probably a timer issue).
so civ3 is almost perfect, also for me multiplayer seems to work. -seems-

if anyone wants to get online and test it, im on for it.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieG55dkpxWW1SV3pLY1Y1dyIsImdkcHIiOjB9