Command & Conquer: Generals Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Debugger Problem

The installation seems to have been successful, and the program does start, however it doesn't get very far, claiming that debugger has been detected and asking that it be unloaded. How do I find out if there actually is a debugger running and, if there is, how would I unload it?

First update to the newest version. Then try again.
If it doesn't help.
Then use: programs --> run command --> select the bottle of the game --> browse to the executable (generals.exe) and check the debugger.
Then try to run the game again.

I believe that I am indeed running the most recent version (although it is the Trial version, though I don't think that should make much of a difference)
Occasionally, when running through the "Run Command" window, it will bring up the initialization screen (the installsplash.bmp picture), but will fail after that.

Wine is apparently loading a debugger, but none of the Debug Options seem to be able to turn it off.

When I have it save a log, this seems to be the problem (it comes up twice, both of them after the third time it starts generals.exe (starting 'Applications/CrossOver Games.app/... /generals.exe')):

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x2eb00054 at address 0x650b20 (thread 001b), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x2eb00054 in 32-bit code (0x00650b20).
err:dbghelp:pe_load_msc_debug_info -Debug info stripped, but no .DBG file in module L"secdrv.sys"
(It then does a Register Dump)
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00340061 at address 0x407620 (thread 001d), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00340061 in 32-bit code (0x00407620).
(It then does another Register Dump)

Wine is not loading a debugger (unless and until a program crashes). The Debug Options section of the Run Command dialog are not relevant for that.

Usually, when a program complains that it thinks a debugger is running, it has copy protection and the copy protection scheme isn't working under Wine.

I see. Is there any way that I can make the copy protection scheme work?

If getting the non-trial version will help, I will get it soon (as it lets me play KOTOR, which doesn't work any other computer I have).

I'll try the Zero Hour addition and see if it will work.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ0g3Qm1CWThnZHNwTk5xaCIsImdkcHIiOjB9