Company of Heroes Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Desparate installation help

Hi people.

I owned a PC for a while, and before i bought my iMac i got Company of Heroes. To this day it's possibly my favourite game, however i can very rarely play it, as the only PC's in the house are my mum's work pc and my sisters laptop (which does run it on med/low settings, but i can rarely use it).

I would prefer not to have to buy xp or vista and run bootcamp just for CoH, as i would rather not buy a laptop purely for this reason. I know some people have had varying degrees of success with this on crossover, but i had my hopes raised further seeing a blog post in which an unsupported version of Crossover (8.2.0) was mentioned, with the blog saying it was mainly for Star Trek online, but it improved other games (Company of Heroes being the example). Needless to say i downloaded it ASAP, but i still can;t get the game to run.

I've tried from the original disc, and with patch 1.4 installed, however, even though both install the game, and i can get the game to show me the launcher, when i click 'play' and it brings up the virtual desktop, i always get errors, saying CoH failed to find a supported rendering device, or that my DirectX is not functioning correctly (or words to that effect).

I'm getting desperate, because i love the game, but not enough to pay for a laptop or bootcamp just to run it. If someone who has it functioning on Crossover (any version, i'll use whatever as i only want CoH) could you possibly give me a complete walkthrough? I can't use the ticket system as i am only on the trial for the time being, but if it works, i'll definitely buy. PLease can someone help me out....

I would help, though I'm stuck on getting the game to install with v2.5. However, I believe that creating the virtual desktop beforehand using winecfg with a supported resolution, it may work, from what I believe is going on with the error message. Winecfg can be accessed somewhere in the bottle window. I'm not on Mac right now, but if you click around you should be able to find it.
However, I can give you supported resolutions; I'm currently using a 1440x900 screen.

Resolutions:

• 800x600
  • 1024x768
  • 1152x864
  • 1280x720
  • 1280x768
  • 1280x800
  • 1360x768
  • 1440x900

Sorry I can't help any further, but I'll continue trying to install the game. Congrats on getting it installed.

Meep Zhu wrote:

I would help, though I'm stuck on getting the game to install with
v2.5. However, I believe that creating the virtual desktop
beforehand using winecfg with a supported resolution, it may work,
from what I believe is going on with the error message. Winecfg can
be accessed somewhere in the bottle window. I'm not on Mac right
now, but if you click around you should be able to find it.
However, I can give you supported resolutions; I'm currently using a
1440x900 screen.

Resolutions:

• 800x600
  • 1024x768
  • 1152x864
  • 1280x720
  • 1280x768
  • 1280x800
  • 1360x768
  • 1440x900

Sorry I can't help any further, but I'll continue trying to install
the game. Congrats on getting it installed.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean uninstall CoH, then create the virtual desktop and reinstall?

You don't need to reinstall in order to use winecfg's virtual desktop.

Hello there!

I just thought I'd drop this is as I'm the guy that took the screenshots that are up currently - I didn't have to do any fiddling about at all to make the game run - the only reason the screenshots have virtual desktop is to prove they are running under Wine.

Now, I was running Linux Mint + Nvidia 800GT for those, rather than a Mac, and I was also running the Steam version rather than the CD. It doesn't look like you're getting an error for the copy protection though.

My first advice would be to install Steam in to your bottle that you've installed Company of Heroes to, for a quick way to see if it's simply needing something that was in my bottle as a result of installing Steam.

Note that unless you're running a very new build Steam itself isn't working too well, but you won't actually need to open Steam - we're just installing it to pull in the deps. You could also just install the dependencies manually, if you wish.

Carl Morgan wrote:

Hello there!

I just thought I'd drop this is as I'm the guy that took the
screenshots that are up currently - I didn't have to do any fiddling
about at all to make the game run - the only reason the screenshots
have virtual desktop is to prove they are running under Wine.

Now, I was running Linux Mint + Nvidia 800GT for those, rather than
a Mac, and I was also running the Steam version rather than the CD.
It doesn't look like you're getting an error for the copy
protection though.

My first advice would be to install Steam in to your bottle that
you've installed Company of Heroes to, for a quick way to see if
it's simply needing something that was in my bottle as a result of
installing Steam.

Note that unless you're running a very new build Steam itself isn't
working too well, but you won't actually need to open Steam - we're
just installing it to pull in the deps. You could also just install
the dependencies manually, if you wish.

I'll have a go installing Steam now, and as for the Virtual Desktop i have been trying 800x600 just to see if i can get it running, will have a go with other resolutions though...

Edit: Just a though ehre, i am a console guy normally, so i'm not too certain with some things... What is the best way to actually run CoH? because at the moment i am going to the disk in the finder and going to program files > relicCOH. That makes the virtual desktop flash up for a second, then disappear. Using Run Command, i get '1 StdErr' and another 'Stdout'... any ideas?

I installed Steam, but apparently CoH still didn't install. I don't see any error messages in the log either. However, there was an alert saying:

Exception EExternalException in module ntdll.dll at 0001F1BB.
External Exception C0000025

The virtual desktop trick doesn't seem to work though.

Hey,
not sure this will help, COH works fine for me (I'll suggest installing DirectX runtime and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 and disabling RelicDownloader for a start). To run the game Crossover Games Menu ->Run Command ->choose the COH bottle and then navigate to relicCOH. You have the option to create a log file, if everything fails, you can post that back here, maybe something in there will be familiar.
In any case, here is the whole story:

Aluminum Macbook, 2 GHz CPU 4Gb RAM Nvidia 9400 GPU OSX 10.6.4 Crossover Games 9.1
Steam version of the game (both vanilla and Opposing Front expansion) If you are using the Standard CD version, it may not work, see
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=6860

Install steam in a new bottle WinXP
Crossover Games Menu ->Configure ->Install Software
Select an application to install->Steam
Select a bottle ->winXp and then proceed
Once finished the Steam Install process
Crossover Games Menu ->Manage Bottles -> Select Steam bottle ->Control Panel->Wine Configuration->Launch Selected
in the new window that appears Graphics->Check Emulate virtual desktop (try something like 1024 X 768)
Check Allow Pixel Shader and then Apply
Crossover Games Menu ->Run Command -> Select Steam bottle from popup and type regedit in the window
Navigate HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Wine->Direct3D(if it does not exist, create it Edit->New->Key)
Add the following strings (Edit->New->String):
VideoMemorySize->right click->Modify and type the available RAM of your video card in Mb(for instance Nvidia 9400 has 256)
VertexShaderMode->right click->Modify and type hardware
DirectDrawRenderer->right click ->Modify and type opengl (default is gdi)

although I think the following are defaults you can also add
OffscreenRenderingMode=fbo
UseGLSL=enabled

Close the registry window, log into Steam, install COH and start it. It will install DirectX runtime and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005. If it does not, you will have to do it manually. One final word, RelicDownloader.exe pushes my CPU to 100%, I just renamed it RelicDownloader.exe_bkp (If you want to do the same navigate to it Library->Application Support->Crossover Games->bottles->Steam->drive c->Program Files->Steam->steamapps->common->COH->RelicDownloader)

hope this helps
regards,
mihai

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSHJZWHE3QlZSclpzR2tGOCIsImdkcHIiOjB9