Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (2001) Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Any Luck Getting Game To Run via CXG Mac 10.1.2?

Has anyone had any luck getting this game fully functional via CXG 10.x? Specifically, CXG 10.1.2 on Mac OS X. I am still on 10.6.8.

I've been trying to get 1.13c version of the game to work via the Battle.net download option. The download and installation complete fine, and updating the game to 1.13c goes fine. But when I run the game in full screen mode nothing but a white screen. Hitting Command-Opt-Escape brings me back to my desktop with CXG completely closed down.

If I switch to run the game in window mode, it works but in-game movies do not display (only sound -- the virtual desktop stays black during the movie while sound/music plays.)

I've tried both a Windows XP and WIndows Vista bottle and get the same result. I have also tried disabling all Window Manager functions (Control Panel -> Wine Configuration -> Graphics tab -> Uncheck all boxes in Window settings) as well as enabling all such functions.

Small update ... when running the game within a virtual desktop, when in-game movies are playing, if I drag some other random window (such as the "Welcome to CXG" window) over the top of the virtual desktop, I can see a point-in-time of what the movie was displaying. I've seen this with some other apps/games where the virtual desktop is not auto-refreshing what it should be displaying.

..typically there's a reason for that (sounds daft, I know ;) .. in
most cases I find it's issue with certain builtin dlls when you go
into virtual desktop mode (as opposed to fullscreen) ; it's usually
fairly obvious in debug...

..on the other hand, it sounds very like some behavior displayed by
some other games since the latest round of CXG updates and MacOS
updates, but it's one of those gak catch-22 situations wherein one
would -like- to rollback to the previous cxg release to do a regression
test, but one can't because the previous cxg release doesn't work
with MacOS 10.7.x ...sigh... so it's times like this it's best to
go "Well, that sucks" and be content with sitting on your hands.. =)

... that's because you might be 'wasting your time' as the next
round of updates are going to change the playing field, and the
problem may fix itself ... else, it's worthwhile grabbing a debug
log and having a look at what's going on ...

Thanks Don. Since I've not had much experience with the debug logs, seemed like a good opportunity to explore, regardless if the next update/release does in fact resolve the issue.

I used the +relay and +seh channels and found the exceptions are being raised when calling the following functions:
user32.LoadImageA
user32.CopyImage

The exception is always the same:
c0000005 - Access Violation

Tried to have Wine use the native (Windows) version of user32.dll but that completely broke the bottle. After that change I couldn't even launch the Wine Configuration control panel anymore, let alone the game. Trashed it and started over.

Any thoughts Don? I might sit on this one for a while, but if you've come across this before and have suggestions I'm all for trying them.

You cannot replace user32.dll - never do so, it breaks the world...

..2 lines out of a logfile do not the story tell -- it's like feeding
someone 2 short sentences then asking them which book those lines came
from...ie; 'could be any book' ... not very useful...

...nor would I have started with +relay.+seh as debug options -- the
combination of +loaddll,+trace typically yields much more useful info
'first up' ...usually enough for you to clear most 'wine deficiencies'
most of the time (if possible) ; +seh and +relay I only use when I have
already established what I am looking for ; you're not there yet =)

http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Debugging_Wine

..I suggest reading and digesting that lot - interpreting wine debug is
a bit of an art, and that tute does well as a canvass foundation. Part of
the 'art' btw, is having some understanding of what's currently -not- in
wine, what parts of wine code are 'mobile' ..ie; being worked on, and a
whole heap of other stuff..ie; being able to track down CLSID's and work
out which dll's relate to that...blablabla...really boring....

..if you grab a +loaddll,+trace debuglog and upload it somewhere, paste
the URL back here, I can grab it and have a look at what's going on...

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback Don! I'm getting more familiar with the debugging features in wine. Sorry was trying to keep the feedback on the original debug output narrowed to what I thought was important. Ran the game with the two debug channels you suggested, and got the following error 3 times in the output:

err:ddraw:ddraw_surface7_Flip Can't find a flip target

The rest of the output was trace and fixme messages. I'd upload the log for you to review, but I managed to figure out the problem as well and get the game fully functional!

1. New winxp bottle.
  2. (a) Set Vertex Shaders to "None" within the bottle.
  3. (b) Set virtual desktop to 800 x 600.
  4. Install Diablo II
  5. Install LOD
  6. Patch to 1.13c
  7. Run the Video Test app (D2VidTst.exe) and change to 2D instead of 3D.

Game is now fully functional. Movies play fine. I was also able to copy over my save files from the original Mac PPC version of the game and have them work fine under the Windows version!

Only drawback I'm seeing is the game now takes a little time to start up. When I launch game, the virtual desktop sits black for 30 - 45 seconds before the intro Blizzard movies play.

I will post to Tips & Tricks. Thanks again for the help Don! Nice to keep learning more about CXG and Wine and have support from people like you who are a lot more knowledgable.

Hi,

...good to hear -- once you get used to the debugger and know how
to use it, the process of getting some app going is -much- easier.
Your result here, is indicative of the current state of play with
the wine directdraw implementation, and iirc version 7 is one of the
more fractious interfaces...

Cheers!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV1BHTVFmdWZ5dUJRU0JYSiIsImdkcHIiOjB9