Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (2001) Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game runs but is covered in black boxes

Hey folks I hope this forum is still active enough for someone to see this. I've endeavored to start playing d2 again and have progressed to the point that I have D2 LOD installed and running in a 32-bit wine bottle using crossover. Right now I'm trying to run the game on 1.13d so that I can use mods such as Plugy, D2XE, etc. Everything seems to be working except for this one issue. When I start the game up it runs in fullscreen but is covered with black boxes that are seemingly random.

My assumption is that it's a graphics problem. I've run video tests and there are two options. When I select the 2D option the game will not run yet the 3d option allows the game to run but the black boxes remain. I've tried to run the game in windowed mode by using "run command" and adding a -w to the .exe but that results in a "there is no windows program configured to open this type of file" error and the game will not launch.

Currently I'm running crossover 16.2, Diablo 2 1.13d, Bottle Type: Windows XP, Wine Gecko 32-Bit.

I've also added the glide3x.dll file into the program folder but no dice there either. If anyone has encountered this issue before I would love some insight into what I can try next.

Thanks for your help! I've also attached a screenshot of the problem as well.

If this game uses DX9 you can use the latest version of dxvk (1.5.1),this wrapper usually is more accurate and efficient than wined3d.

Okay cool and thank you for the quick response!! I'm not an expert using crossover/wine so I apologize in advance for any questions I ask that are probably obvious answers. To that end... how do I go about finding that info / updating the wrapper / etc?

Go to this page to download the wrapper https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases download the tar gz archive. Then go to this page for the how to: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk . You have to run these command export WINEPREFIX=/path/to/.wine-prefix and then ./setup_dxvk.sh install
You need to select the right path for the setup of dxvk, in order to do so open crossover right click on the bottle,where you installed diablo, and select open C folder. Right click on a random folder and select proprieties and copy the path that will lead dxvk to your bottle. I tried this approach with normal wine and it worked I didn't try this with crossover, but I think it may work.

I almost forgot for this trick to work your gpu must support vulkan otherwise dxvk won't work and you will destroy yor bottle please duplicate your bottle before trying installing dxvk.

Awesome okay I'm going to try this soon and report back on the results. Thanks for the follow up warning as well. Is there a way to check if my gpu supports vulkan?

If you have ubuntu or one of its forks (I use linux mint 19.3 xfce). Type sudo apt install vulkan-utils and then vulkaninfo, if the output of the last command is a series of vk extensions your gpu supports vulkan otherwise it will show this message ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER. If you are using MAC I can't help you that much I only use linux...

Okay so I'm attempting this at the moment and realizing I probably should have stated above that I am running crossover on MacOS Catalina 10.14.6. And just to make sure: am I trying to lead dxvk to the bottle itself or to the application folder for diablo?

ok no problem we'll do it the long but secure way. Open the archive and go to the x32 folder copy all dlls inside that folder into the system32 folder of your bottle. After that open wine config go to the library menu and insert the dlls you pasted into system32. After you inserted those dlls into the library menu list set them all to native, this way you'll force crossover/wine to use dxvk instead of wine built-in dx dlls. We'll do that one way or another don't worry. Note If your bottle is a 64 bit one copy the x32 dlls into system32 folder and the dlls of the x64 folder into syswow64.

Never mind the most recent comment I figure out what you were telling me to do by finding the path to the bottle. What I'm wondering now is what I do w/ that path? In crossover there's a control within the diablo 2 bottle to "run a command" in which I'm putting the following:

export/WINEPREFIX=/path/to/Users/admin/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Diablo II

However I'm getting an error that states "There is no windows program configured to open this type of file"

the "command results" shows the following error text:

winewrapper.exe:error: cannot start L"export" (error 31)

Use the other method I don't know how to use the command line script in mac os.

Ok I have the ultimate solution for you easy and effective. Choose Install software inside your Diablo bottle, write DXVK and choose the dxvk installer provided by crossover. Before hitting the install button click on the choose an installer file option and select find an installer file and select the tar gz archive you downloaded from the site once you did that let the script run and here we go. After the installation process ends right click on your diablo bottle, choose settings and check the option use dxvk for d3d11 backend, if it is unchecked. Thus you should use and enjoy the power of vulkan,if and only if your gpu supports it and you have the latest driver installed. Hope it will work now

Hey! Thank you for responding again! I didn't realize this but there's a posting limit of 5 per day and I reached the limit and it wouldn't let me send anymore responses. I followed your earlier instructions and was able to move the following files into system32 (there was no syswow64) then add them to the wine config library as native:

• d3d10core
  • d3d9
  • dxgi
  • d3d11
  • d3d10
  • d3d10_1
    (when adding to the wine config library I didn't add the extension not sure if that affects anything?)

After applying/saving that to the wine config I did a simulate reboot and started the game but the problem remained. Are the steps above all I needed to do or was there something additional?

I just tried the solution you mentioned but the crossover installer wouldn't let me select the tar gz file as an install file when attempting that route. I should probably note as well that when I typed dxvk into the application install search there weren't any results to select so I chose "unlisted application" as it was the only option to choose.

Also... I hadn't realized in the earlier recommendations that I needed to enter those commands in the command line. I had a few questions about that.

1. Those are two separate commands right?

export WINEPREFIX=/path/to/Users/admin/Library/Application_Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Diablo_II

./setup_dxvk.sh install

1. When I put entered those in sequence the second code resulted in a "no such file or directory." I think if I can figure out how to get the second code to work we might be in business. I'm just not sure what to fix to get that second code to do the install. I've attached a screenshot of my command line if that might help.

Questions on my mind right now are:

1. For the manual method - is there anything else needed other than copying the files into system32 and adding them to the wineconfig library to run as native?

2. For the crossover install method - what could be the reason I didn't see any results from searching dxvk in the application install screen?

3. For the command line method - Can you see any mistakes I might've made either w/ the path to my bottle or w/ the second command / install command?

Also.. thanks again for your time helping me w/ this. Seriously appreciate it.

Right click on diablo bottle install software inside the bottle type dxvk into the query, and wait for crossover to find the installer in its database, after that click on the installer provided by crossover, before you go on to complete the setup click on the second menu and choose a custom installation file select choose a installation file and select the tar gz archive you downloaded from the git hub page of dxvk. after that crossover will automatically enable dxvk inside your bottle. right click on the diablo bottle go to settings and see if dxvk for direct3d11 application option is checked if it's not checkable it means that crossover was unable to activate dxvk on your system and bottle,this means that you haven't installed the latest graphic driver for your gpu, or your gpu can't support vulkan. Please try this one and let me know if it worked, if not please let me know your gpu model.

I did attempt the route you're describing but it didn't work. I followed up by searching Crossover's help docs for some info on how to do it and found this link: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/dxvk

It looks like dxvk won't install on the mac version of crossover.

Never say never :) maybe this could be useful, it's a workaround made for diablo 2, see this link:http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/index.html go to download section and download the wrapper version that matches the version of your diablo game, then open the archive and open the readme file the guide is easy and bulletproof. This would work I'm sure of it, if not I give up and I'll apologies to you... Remember the dll you paste into your diablo bottle must be set as native in the wine cfg dll section.

So I updated my crossover application from 16.2 to the current version (19) and that solved the problem! It looks like the reason I was getting those boxes is because my mac is running catalina which doesn't support 32-bit. Crossover v19 solves that problem for apps running in wine. Problem solved!!!

Thank you very much for sticking with me here. Really really appreciate it. Thank you!

Enjoy Diablo 2 :)

1 to 18 of 18

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV3pkckw0NVlGRVZFQXRjUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9