Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (2001) Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Big Sur CrossOver 20, not loading games on Battle.net

The game opens. I can connect to Battle.net. The Battle.net interface functions fine. I click join, select a game, the loading screen with the door pops up with a closed door and......nothing.....just sits there, maybe frozen, though the music is still playing. Tried to output a log:

Running launcher: Diablo II - Lord of Destruction (StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/Diablo II/Diablo II - Lord of Destruction.lnk)
Command-line options: -w
Bottle: default
Debug channels:

CrossOver 20.0.4.33197
macOS Version 10.16 (Build 20C69)
Install location: /Applications/CrossOver.app
Mac Locale: en_US

CXConfig->read(/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/etc/CrossOver.conf)
CXConfig->read(/Users/mneumark/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/CrossOver.conf)
system encoding='UTF-8'
Running `"/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/bin/cxgettext" --textdomain crossover --textdomaindir "/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/share/locale" --encoding UTF-8 "Using the default (%s) bottle.
"`
cxgettext:error: missing gettext functions (maybe libintl.so is missing?)
-> rc=256  (took 0.00824999809265137 seconds)
output=[]
9831: Grabbing the '/var/folders/j9/9krcbtw92m7f_kcgl0qqcnkw0000gq/T//.wine-503/bottle-1000004-2ca48cb.lock' lock
9831: Got the '/var/folders/j9/9krcbtw92m7f_kcgl0qqcnkw0000gq/T//.wine-503/bottle-1000004-2ca48cb.lock' lock
CXConfig->read(/Users/mneumark/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Diablo II Lord of Destruction/cxbottle.conf)
9831: Releasing the '/var/folders/j9/9krcbtw92m7f_kcgl0qqcnkw0000gq/T//.wine-503/bottle-1000004-2ca48cb.lock' lock
Bottle environment variables:
 CX_BOTTLE_CREATOR_APPID -> com.codeweavers.c4.4466
CXRWConfig->new(/Users/mneumark/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Diablo II Lord of Destruction/cxmenu.conf)
'/Users/mneumark/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Diablo II Lord of Destruction/cxmenu.conf' not modified -> no need to save
Starting 'StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/Diablo II/Diablo II - Lord of Destruction.lnk'
Exec-ing '"/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/bin/wine" --bottle "Diablo II Lord of Destruction" --check --wait-children --start "C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Diablo II/Diablo II - Lord of Destruction.lnk" --cx-log - -w'
000b:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
000d:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
0010:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
0017:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x3f03
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x4107
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0xa907
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0xa807
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x5907
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0xa507
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0xa407
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0xa207
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x5f07
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x9f07
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x6107
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x9b07
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device Unable to create plug in interface for USB deviceobject 0x9b0b
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x6407
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x9903
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x9803
001f:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
0025:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
0009:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
0009:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004100
002c:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0032:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x0 1 0x0 0 stub
0032:fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity (00000000,-1,00000000,00000000,0,3,00000000,0,00000000) - stub!
002c:fixme:coreaudio:ca_channel_layout_to_channel_mask Unhandled channel 0xffffffff
002c:fixme:coreaudio:ca_channel_layout_to_channel_mask Unhandled channel 0xffffffff
0032:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_QueryInterface interface {00000126-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} not implemented
0039:fixme:winsock:set_dont_fragment IP_DONTFRAGMENT for IPv4 not supported in this platform
003b:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
003b:fixme:process:GetProcessWorkingSetSizeEx (FFFFFFFF,02A7C2CC,02A7C2C8,00000000): stub
003f:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x5affde4 0x0): stub

Note that ALL that stuff showed up in the log before joining the game.

Also the game works fine in single player.

Same issue, did you get it resolved?

Are you using any mods? Many mods will not interfere with your ability to log in to Battle.net and participate in chat channels but will prevent successful creation/joining of games. You must also be careful because some mods are defined as cheats, can be detected by Battle.net, and can result in your game key being banned (which will not prevent you from doing offline play but will prevent you from using Battle.net).

If you have no mods enabled, you might try disabling the firewall in System Preferences—>>Security & Privacy.

Since I have Crossover and an old, OLD license for Diablo II and Diablo II LOD from about two decades ago, I decided to test this for myself. My system: 2019 21.5" iMac, 3.6GHz i3, 32gb RAM, Radeon Pro 555X w/2GB VRAM, booting MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 from the internal non-Apple SSD, running Crossover 20.0.4. I also keep a Mojave boot volume for 32-bit Mac apps that haven't been – and in most cases never will be – updated to 64-bit.

The game installs just fine. I used the installer downloaded from my account on Blizzard's website rather than whatever "Crosstie" might be available in Crossover's database. That way my key (what used to be the "CD Key") was set up for me automatically from my old license code. I used a fresh Windows 10 64-bit bottle and installed "DirectX for Modern Games" into the bottle before installing D2 and then D2:LOD.

Tested the game in single-player mode, works fine. Tested the game by trying to log in to a TCP/IP server (d2ga.net), works fine. Tested the game with Battle.net and had a lot of trouble even creating an account on US East (perpetual "PLEASE WAIT") but had no trouble on US West – I'm on the east coast so I guess US East server was just crowded when I did my test. Created a character on US West with no trouble, but could not enter an existing game or successfully create and enter a game of my own, the "character in a robe waits at a closed door" image appears but the opening animation does not advance. I let it go for a good long while, eventually I had to force-quit out of the game's WINE wrapper because even quitting out of Crossover did not shut down the game. I might try to figure out some workarounds, it might just be some issue with my Mac's security settings or possibly the game should be installed into a bottle emulating a (much) older version of Windows. If I perform any tests I'll report back in this thread with the results.

I then installed the new version of the PlugY mod which works with D2 LOD 1.14d. It installed into the same bottle easily, works great! Frankly, "classic" Battle.net is a cesspool of puerile children, PKs, and bots, so I don't care AT ALL about being able to play on "classic" Battle.net. If I'm going to play D2 I'll play it with friends over TCP/IP, on d2ga.net or some other always-on independent server, or (most commonly) offline single-player. PlugY and/or GoMule (a Java application which, as the name implies, simplifies "muling" i.e. moving and storing in-game items) make the experience much more pleasant and add a lot of very nice features including the ability to fight the "ubers" and get those sweet, sweet unique charms as well as create ladder-only runewords – anything you don't like you can either ignore or turn off if you want an as-it-was-in-the-old-days "pure" single-player experience.

I tested the Mac version of Diablo II which I can use when I boot my Mac from my Mojave volume. I can create/enter Battle.net games that way with no trouble. So the problem with the Crossover/Windows version on Big Sur is more likely some issue with the bottle's networking components. I don't think this is a big deal, though, unless you have friends already stuck in Battle.net hell or you have accounts and characters of your own there already. The "closed" Battle.net blows, stay away from it, even if you already have accounts and characters there just let it all go, you'll be happier in the long run. You can play with your friends using "open" Battle.net or TCP/IP (the better option). I imagine that the new Battle.net experience for the coming Diablo II Resurrected game will not have the same problems (well, I'm sure the douchey randos you'll run into in un-passworded games will be the same...) but for classic D2 it's best to play offline or via TCP/IP with friends, anyway.

I upgraded from Crossover 20.0.4 to Crossover 21.0 yesterday and tested all my bottles and installed applications. One of the applications I tested was Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. It not only continues to work as well as before in single-player and "open" Battle.net and TCP/IP mode, but in Crossover 21.0 I am able to create and join games in "closed" Battle.net. D2 in Crossover 20.0.4 was able to log in to Battle.net, create and join games in "open" Battle.net and via TCP/IP, and ran perfectly in single-player/offline mode. However, in Crossover 20.0.4 it was not possible to get past the "dude in a robe waits at a door" loading screen when attempting to create or join a game on "closed" Battle.net. In Crossover 21.0, creating and joining games on "closed" Battle.net works perfectly!

I still think "closed" Battle.net is a cesspool and recommend against it, but it works with Crossover 21.0. Hopefully some folks who were missing the ability to play on "closed" Battle.net will experience the same success.

Sweet, thanks for letting us know John :)

Best,
Meredith

Can you play without -w option?

It throws an error without -w here. And with -w, the windows is quite small on my screen.

How can I play on full screen or bigger screen at least? Thanks.

You should be able to play in full screen. There is no good way, that I know of, to increase the window size if you launch the game with the -w option.

Check your bottle settings. Be sure they look like this:
Performance Enhanced Graphics needs to be checked. High Resolution Mode and Performance Enhanced Synchronization (ESync) both need to be un-checked.

If that doesn't fix you up, please provide more detail: What version of MacOS are you using? What version of Crossover are you using? Do you have anything installed in your bottle other than D2/D2:LOD? Add anything else you think might be important.

John M. Hammer wrote:

If that doesn't fix you up, please provide more detail: What version
of MacOS are you using? What version of Crossover are you using? Do
you have anything installed in your bottle other than D2/D2:LOD? Add
anything else you think might be important.

Thanks for your reply.

I installed two LoD only. Both MacOS and Crossover are the newest and stable ones, not Beta.

One install doesn't let me check the second option, it's grayed. The other does. But no success on both.

I will screenshot but what settings do you need to check? Thanks!

Ryuji, D2 is pretty old so it's also pretty small and therefore doesn't take that long to install. So I would suggest deleting your bottle and starting over. You probably performed your installation using the "Crosstie" and sometimes that doesn't work as well as doing the installation yourself.

1- Delete your bottle.
2- Create a new Windows 10 64-bit bottle.
3- Download the Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction installers from your Blizzard account page. You must, of course, download the WINDOWS installers, not the MACINTOSH installers.
4- In the main Crossover window, select the bottle you created in Step 2.
5- Use the INSTALL A WINDOWS APPLICATION function within Crossover to run the Diablo II installer you downloaded in Step 3: Click "Install a Windows Application" then "Browse All Applications" then "Unlisted Application". Then click the CONTINUE button, then "Choose Installer File" and use the file dialogue to find the installer you downloaded in Step 3 – it's probably in your ~/Downloads folder.

That will get Diablo II installed into your bottle. Check your bottle settings as I explained in my message above. Be sure Diablo II is running properly, you should be able to launch the game and create a single-player character and log into Battle.net. Afterward, repeat Step 4 and Step 5 with the Diablo II Lord of Destruction installer and test that as well.

One other thought: Many Windows games have trouble with UHD/"retina" resolutions of modern Macs. Try this:
1- Use only one monitor, disconnect any extra monitors. (You can plug them back in after getting D2 to run in Full Screen Mode the first time.) If you are running a laptop, disconnect all external monitors and use only the laptop's built-in monitor.
2- Set your computer's output resolution as low as it will go, 800x600 is best because that is the native resolution of the Diablo II game. I know this makes it hard to do anything with your computer, 800x600 is nearly unusably small in 2022 but you don't have to leave it that way. Just set it to 800x600 for now, use the smallest resolution available if you can't get to 800x600.
3- Try to launch the game without the -w argument. If the game launches in Full Screen Mode, you can quit out of the game and then set your output resolution back to normal. Subsequent runs of the game should successfully launch into Full Screen Mode even with your monitor set to your normal high resolution or with your extra monitors plugged in.

[quote=928576]> (quote:551803)

One install doesn't let me check the second option, it's grayed. The
other does.

The bottle which lacks the ability to check one of the bottle options should be deleted.

1: Resolution

Two bottles untouched and the resolution changed as 1024 x 665. Tried both bottles and no success.

2: Installation

Deleted everything, no bottle exists.

Make a new bottle with Windows 10 64bit, which is the only bottle I have.

Install a Windows Application.

"Unlisted Application" checked and proceed with the installer file downloaded from Blizzard.

Crossover says: CrossOver will install into a new Windows 7 bottle named “Installer.exe”

After installation, choose “Play” and get an error below:

“Error 25: A critical error has occurred while initializing Direct3D”

And a new bottle was created named “Installer.exe” as stated previously by CrossOver.

M1 Max with 64 GB, macOS 12.1
CrossOver 21.1

Anything else I can do? Thanks.

I figured out how to install an app into the bottle I created.

1: Select the bottle you want to use
2: Click the Gear icon below
3: Install Software into “(bottle name)”

So I have installed Diablo II into the Windows 10 64bit bottle, but got the same error.
Changing resolution doesn’t help either.

After installation, only Performance Enhanced Graphics is checked. Checked DXVK Backend for D3D11 but no luck.

Wine Configuration -> Graphics -> I try to check Emulate a virtual desktop but nothing changes.

If you are getting Direct3D error messages, try installing "DirectX for Modern Games". Just type that into the search field within the "Install a Windows Application" dialogue and allow Crossover to install it for you. Be sure it gets installed into the same Windows 10 64-bit bottle into which you have installed D2. Once DirectX for Modern Games is installed, quit out of Crossover then relaunch it. Then try to launch the game.

If the game still doesn't run, download EasyRes from the Mac App Store. It's free:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/easyres/id688211836?mt=12
Using EasyRes, set your monitor's resolution to 800x600. Then try running the game from within Crossover.

If that doesn't work, I'll try to think of something else. But assuming you followed the procedure I wrote for you above, you did exactly what I did but you're getting a different result. So at this time I'm not sure what else to try so I hope this works for you.

edit: Don't bother with the "Virtual Desktop" stuff in Crossover. It doesn't do anything, there's no implementation of it within WINE. It will only work when using that preference panel within an actual Windows OS.

No luck in the end.

Installed "DirectX for Modern Games" and quit Crossover and restarted it. The same error.

With EasyRes, changed the resolution as 960 x 600 and nothing changed.

With or without "DirectX for Modern Games" installed, -w option works fine and I can connect to US west and play the game.

1 to 17 of 17

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVTlrQnFHY2Q3M1drWHZOdiIsImdkcHIiOjB9