Diablo II Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Unable to play on Battle.net (M1 Mac)

Good afternoon!

So I got CrossOver, and got Diablo 2 with LOD installed perfectly fine. Offline play is perfect, couldn't ask for anything better. When it comes to online, I can successfully login, choose/create a character, join the lobby, and see active rooms with players in them. Everything is absolutely perfect, until I either try to create or join a room, where it will softlock on the loading screen (music still playing), and it will stay like this forever until I force-quit D2. This is really weird, especially since I can play offline perfectly fine and get past any loading screen very quickly when offline. I'm on a MacBook Pro with an M1 chip.

Anyone else able to get past the loading screen for online play at all? I'm completely dumbfounded as to why this could be, especially since the rest of the game works flawlessly.

PS: The Mac version of Diablo 2 does not work on macOS Catalina or newer as they require all Mac apps to be 64-bit, and since I have a MacBook Pro with M1, I am stuck on macOS Big Sur.

Have you managed to fix it? I have the same problem.

This issue seems to only occur with “closed” Battle.net games. I am able to join TCP/IP games (such as d2ga.net), create and join games on “open” Battle.net, and play single-player even with mods. I can get into USEast and the other D2 “closed” Bnet realms, create an account and characters, but when attempting to create or enter a game the character gets stuck at the “robed guy waits in front of a closed door” screen and the only way to get out is to force-quit the WINE process running the game (even quitting out of Crossover doesn’t make that process quit when the character is stuck like that).

Honestly, I don’t care. “Closed” Bnet is a cesspool of puerile children, PKs, and spambots. I play with my friends over TCP/IP or (more rarely) “open” Bnet and the game runs great that way and in single-player mode.

I upgraded from Crossover 20.0.4 to Crossover 21.0 yesterday and tested all my bottles and installed applications. One of the applications I tested was Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. It not only continues to work as well as before in single-player and "open" Battle.net and TCP/IP mode, but in Crossover 21.0 I am able to create and join games in "closed" Battle.net. D2 in Crossover 20.0.4 was able to log in to Battle.net, create and join games in "open" Battle.net and via TCP/IP, and ran perfectly in single-player/offline mode. However, in Crossover 20.0.4 it was not possible to get past the "dude in a robe waits at a door" loading screen when attempting to create or join a game on "closed" Battle.net. In Crossover 21.0, creating and joining games on "closed" Battle.net works perfectly!

I still think "closed" Battle.net is a cesspool and recommend against it, but it works with Crossover 21.0. Hopefully some folks who were missing the ability to play on "closed" Battle.net will experience the same success.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZGtmTHhRQUs3QW1lNU54TiIsImdkcHIiOjB9