Diablo II Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Errror connecting to battle.net

Hello,

I have been able to install Diablo 2 and Diablo 2: LOD fine on both intel and M1 MacBooks. The game runs fine locally but when I attempt to connect to battlenet servers an error comes up stating can't verify the version, so I'm refused access to servers. I haven't seen any issue like this posted in the forum so wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

Thanks.

Ken Vieira wrote:

The game runs fine locally but when I attempt to connect to
battlenet servers an error comes up stating can't verify the
version, so I'm refused access to servers.

Hi, Ken! What is the exact version of Crossover you are using, 21.0? What is the exact version of MacOS you are running, 11.5.2?

When you installed the game, did you use the "Crosstie" or did you install using the installer provided by your Blizzard account? If the former, you would have had to enter your CD Key during the installation. If the latter, the Key would have been set up for you. If you don't have a valid, unbanned license code for the game, what you describe might be one of the results.

Take a look at this thread, too, because in Crossover 20 people were able to log in to Battle.net but could not create or join games in "closed" Battle.net. In Crossover 21, something about the WINE networking was updated which now permits "closed" Battle.net games to be created and joined.
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/diablo-ii?msg=234110

Thanks, John for the questions and link.

So to answer some of the basic stuff I should have included..

Current processor: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
Crossover ver: Version 21.0 (21.0.0.33720)

Diablo 2 installer was downloaded from blizzard and I used my Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 LOD CD key on install.

Error seen:
Unable to Identify Version.

Diablo 2 version 1.14D (I think it says D could be a B)

I read through the linked forum post, but those folks already had diabl2 installs prior to upgrading to ver 21. I installed my build on a fresh bottle created in 21. Not sure if that would matter.

Ken, this is a known issue for Diablo 2. It happens to "real" Windows users all the time. The cause is – usually – that the version of Windows is too old. I am running Diablo II: Lord of Destruction in a Windows 10 64-bit bottle. If you are running the game in a Windows 7 or later bottle you should be OK. However, since the game is so old it isn't that large so it doesn't take that long to download and install; and therefore I would recommend that your next troubleshooting step be to delete your current bottle and create a new Windows 10 64-bit bottle into which you can install the game.

I hope that does the trick for you! Try it and report back here. If it works, great! If not, I'll try to think of another workaround for you.

Thanks John,

I'll give that a try.. yea Crossover installer did not recommend using Windows 10 bottle so it was created with Windows XP. IS there any way to pull the local char out of one bottle and move it to another? I'm not that far into the game again locally but would like to save the char if possible.

Ken

NVM.. I found the following thread that discussing where to find the D2 files..

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/diablo-ii?;msg=47136

Thanks

Ken Vieira wrote:

IS there any way to pull the local char out of one bottle and move
it to another? I'm not that far into the game again locally but
would like to save the char if possible.

Yes! Single-player/non-"closed" Bnet multiplayer characters are completely portable. You will find your character files in a folder called "Diablo II" located here:
~/Library/Application Support/Crossover/Bottles/Diablo II/drive_c/users/crossover/Saved Games/Diablo II

Couple of notes:
1- I keep my bottles elsewhere because I don't like adding gigabytes of data to the ~/Library folder when it's not strictly necessary. Pretty sure that pathing is right for a default setup and everything past the "Bottles" folder is definitely right.
2- The first time you see "Diablo II" in the path it is the name of the bottle I use for the game. You might have used a different name for your bottle.
3- Within the final Diablo II folder, you will see .d2s, possibly .d2x, .key, .map and a number of other files with different suffixes depending on how far along into the game your character might be. Only the one with the .d2s suffix is strictly necessary, the others just keep information regarding what portions of the map you have already revealed (the map seed and spawn itself is within the .d2s file).

So a quick update..

I created a new Windows 10 64 bit bottle (but didn't delete my old bottle to pull my char from) and tried to connect to battle.net with the same results. Is it required to delete the other bottle? I kind of thought they would be kept separate.

Ken Vieira wrote:

I created a new Windows 10 64 bit bottle (but didn't delete my old
bottle to pull my char from) and tried to connect to battle.net with
the same results. Is it required to delete the other bottle? I
kind of thought they would be kept separate.

They are completely separate and have no interaction with each other in any way unless you specifically launch a Windows application using RUN COMMAND (or a "launcher" created with Run Command) from a bottle other than the bottle in which it physically resides. Or if the application being run keeps some of its preferences in your ~/Documents folder (D2 doesn't do that by default).

Here are the contents of my bottle. I needed to use two screenshots because I can't get all the components to show at the same time.
I have "DirectX for Modern Games" installed into this bottle but it has no effect on Diablo 2, which is more than 20 years old. Other than that and "PlugY" (which is a mod for D2) your contents should be identical. Install "DirectX for Modern Games" into your bottle and ignore "PlugY" – then your bottle should be identical to mine. If it is not, your installation of Diablo 2 was not complete.

Here are my bottle settings.
You need to have PERFORMANCE ENHANCED GRAPHICS checked. HIGH RESOLUTION MODE and PERFORMANCE ENHANCED SYNCHRONIZATION (ESYNC) must both be un-checked. It doesn't matter if you have DEFAULT BOTTLE checked or not. I have DXVK BACKEND FOR D3D11 checked for that bottle but D2 makes no use of that so it doesn't matter.

I just launched the unmodded Diablo II: Lord of Destruction application and attempted to log in to Battle.net (I cannot do so with PlugY, it is for single-player/non-Bnet multiplayer only). I logged right in, no problems at all. So there is something off about your bottle or your installation of Diablo 2. Examine the screenshots above and try to get your bottle to match – install "DirectX for Modern Games" into your bottle even though D2 doesn't use it just so you can compare the bottle contents more easily, it won't hurt anything. Then use the SIMULATE REBOOT command and attempt to log in to Bnet.

If it fails to log in to Bnet at the "checking versions" step even with matching bottle contents and a proper install of the game into your bottle, report back with whatever other details you think might be important. But my first guess should it happen is that your CD Key has been banned. That might have happened even if you haven't touched the game in 19 years because someone else might have used your CD Key and gotten it banned.

John M. Hammer wrote:

If it fails to log in to Bnet at the "checking versions" step...

I experienced that.

It's strange but I could connect to ASIA and update the version. After that, no problem with US west any more.

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWnZZR1JCY1ZISFlHUU1QRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9