Diablo II Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Copy Protection

The demo runs well in 5.0. The installation of the full game is fine, as it was in 4.2, but it still looks for the disc--at least it does on Debian Unstable with kernel 2.6.12. I haven't tried a NOCD crack/loader yet but I'm betting that the game itself will work fine. I'm hoping that 6.0 will have improved the copy protection support enough so I don't have to resort to such measures to play a legitimate copy of the game. The disc detection issue should be listed on the known issues page.

Did you run as Windows 2000 and patch to the latest version of the game? I get those kind of errors if I don't. I've spent a lot of time making sure this works using Wine, and while the game doesn't provide much useful information, you can sometimes see where it's getting hung up.

Things to look for:

• make sure your user has full control of the CD device
  • make sure the disc is mounted
  • make sure the Windows version is set to Windows 2000
  • make sure you have installed the latest patch of the game (1.11b as of right now)

When it starts up, is there any activity at all on the CD drive? Depending on that, you can find out if it's the CD or they actually do a configuration check before they even look at the CD. (If any of that fails you get the same kind of error.)

I've only got one machine I can run this on, and it runs Fedora Core 2 with kernel 2.6.10, and it all works for me. I am pretty well used to looking at the trace logs from this app and findout out where it got hung up because it regresses in Wine from time to time, but right now I see it working with both WineHQ and CXOffice. So, I can add a issue on there and describe what you are seeing, but until I see it fail I can't provide much more help than what I have above. I've got another machine I could possibly use to test with a different OS version, but its network card got fried and I haven't replaced it yet!

If you have a way to make a full trace log available (don't mail it to me -- they're huge) I might be able to tell you where it's getting stuck.

It works!! I'm not sure what fixed it but this is what I did. I had 4.2 installed and I just installed over. To start fresh, I uninstalled (and kept the bottles). I then reinstalled CrossOver Office 5.0. I installed Diablo 2 into a new bottle based on the win2000 template. I then installed LOD and the patch (into the same bottle, of course). Diablo 2 now runs without getting the CD error.

My only issue now is that I end-up scrolling all around my desktop in full screen mode. Unfortunately, the DXGrab registry edit didn't work. Moving the cursor around on the main menu was sloooooowwwww. I set it to 2D instead and the game play was decent. I'll have to do some more experimenting but at least it's running. Thanks for the post confirming that it works in 5.0. Otherwise, I probably would have been waiting around until 6.0 was released!

I'm not sure why the DXGrab doesn't work for you. Did you try it in both 2D and 3D modes? I've been playing using 2D mode because the 3D mode is a little slow on my system, and I know the DXGrab works for me with 2D mode.

One thing I do know is that the XVidMode X extension only changes the resolution, not the desktop size. The X rotate and resize extension (xrandr) actually changes the desktop size, but CXOffice appears to not have support for it enabled. (It works with the "vanilla" WineHQ builds.) If your system supports the extension, then you have a command called xrandr that you could run inside a script to change the desktop size, run the game, and then change it back.

The DXGrab works fine if I'm using DirectDraw (2D): DirectDraw HAL. The 3D modes are way too slow on my system (generic ATI drivers using a Radeon All-In-Wonder). It's still a little slow but playable.

The game wasn't recognizing that I have a valid IP address. I found a solution here.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=108872
I had my actual hostname pointing to 127.0.0.1. Changing it to the LAN IP address or commenting out the line both worked fine.

My only real problem now are that the sound is a bit choppy.

i've done as you said but can't install the patch! It tells me: "Registry error loading key 'Diablo II\InstallPath'
File not found"

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVFFNVUU1UWJBOWhlUnB6YiIsImdkcHIiOjB9