Diablo II Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Install do not work on MacOS 10.4.8 (Intel)

Hello everyone,
I recently installed CrossOver to try some Windows applications on my Mac. Right now, I'm trying to install a game (Diablo II). Unfortunately I can't make it work. In fact, I can't install it at all.

When I insert the 'Install Disc' the setup is started. I select a Full install. I then enter my cd-key and it's at that moment I have the problem. Setup is asking for the 'Play Disc' ... I insert the 'Play Disc' and click on Ok. But, setup is still asking for the play disc. At MacOS level I see that the inserted CD-ROM is mounted.

The same discs were used successfully few years ago on Windows. I don't know what's wrong with those backup disc because I can't install it natively on MacOS or I just don't know how to do it.

Any suggestion ?

Thank you.

Configuration:

• iMac 2Ghz Intel / 1Gb RAM
  • MacOS 10.4.8
  • Bottle type: Win2k

Wait for beta 3. There is a known issue in 6.0 beta 2 with Multi-CD installs. We have fixed this and it will be available in beta 3.

There is also a workaround you can try, if you have enough space. Create a temporary directory and copy all the files from all the CDs into it. (Some will overlap, but they should be the same files.) Then, from the CXOffice options, select to install from an "alternative CD-ROM location" and specify that directory instead of from the real CD. I just did that, and it worked for me (but I'm running Linux not Mac, so YMMV).

Make sure you put the play disc in the drive when you start the game.

Installing the expansion this way can be done, too, but it's trickier. You have to copy the expansion disc on top of the directory with the files from the original discs. Some will overlap, and you need the expansion ones to "win".

Thank you for your reply.

I just tried what you suggested: I copied all 3 CD in the same folder. I had very few question about 'duplicate' files. I then try to install from that Directory and tried a Full Installation. Unfortunately it's still doing the same thing: After entering cd-key it ask for 'Play Disc' and if I click OK it's still waiting for 'Play Disc' :(

But, I restarted the installer and I was able to install using the 'Single Player' configuration. Unfortunately, even with the Play Disc inserted I can't make it work. It's still asking over and over for the play disc. I know I've used those CD a lot of time to do Full installation of Diablo II without any problem.

Is there a target date for beta 3 ?

See here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=112534;layout=user_tickets;sort%5Bstatus%5D=ASC

Essentially this will allow you to install Diablo II (I know it works coz I have done it) plus expansion pack (which I haven't done)

You will need to find a "NO-CD" hack though ....

Of course this is redundent .. as there is a OSX version as well .. though it will be a "Rosetta" app (ie PPC)

I think the problem is the cd is not really mounted. D2 has both mount_hfs, and mount_cd9660 sessions. If you can't see any exe files, this is the problem. I'm testing this out now, and I can't figure out how to tell macos that it should not use the hfs session. If you install the hfs session, you're using rosetta, and not crossover.

note: If you're on Linux, you won't even see a problem.

a ha: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=112534;layout=user_tickets;sort%5Bstatus%5D=ASC

great post!

mount -t cd9660 -r /dev/<device name of CD> <name of directory you created>

mount_cd9660 will work to install. i had to manualy mount it with mount_cd9660 /dev/disk1s1 /temp each time i inserted a cd. but even after that the game wont run correctly i found. I got diablo II running by simply running the full install in windows. upgrading to most recent version, then copying the folder over to the bottle. Worked with direct 3d/2d but there are some lag issues when it changes screens from the chat to the game etc. overall performance was ok.

Later i used d2loader to run it in windowed mode since its a real pain to not be able to switch apps. Oddly enough, diablo runs perfectly in windowed mode. very fast, faster than when i run it booting windows.
I made a .cmd file with this in it:
"C:\Program Files\Diablo II\D2Loader-1.11b.exe" -res800 -skiptobnet -w
changed the icon to the diablo icon. and then set that extension to always open with crossover. For this to work though you need to have the diablo folder in your default bottle.

Since Apple broke NVIDIA drivers' 256-color mode in 10.5.3, it looks like this is the only way to play Diablo II on an up-to-date Mac with NVIDIA drivers.

Hello:

Please forgive the newbiness of this question.

I see in this post and referenced elsewhere, that one can copy files from a windows install, into a bottle.

How do I go about doing this? I can't get Diablo 2 to install using crossover. But I have it installed on a bootcamp XP partition. I'd like to get rid of this partition, and I will be able to if I can install Diablo 2. So can someone kindly instruct me or direct me to instructions on how to copy my files from the windows install over to my crossover bottle?

Many thanks in advance, I sincerely appreciate any help being able to server this last tie to windows.

Bryan

From CrossOver's Configure menu, select Manage Bottles. Select the bottle you've created for Diablo II. Select the Advanced tab. Click "Open C: Drive in Finder". This is a folder which serves as the bottle's C: drive. Find where on your BootCamp partition where Diablo II has installed its files. Copy them from there to the corresponding location within the bottle's drive_c folder. (You may need to create some folders in the bottle.)

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid3BDTHphYVhZTUpCRUdVZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9