Diablo III Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game Randomly freezes

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 32bit with a ati radeon card. I am running the newest build of crossover and diablo 1.0.2b. I notice that at times the game will just randomly freeze and I am unable to do anything but reboot the computer. I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

What happens if you hit Ctrl+Alt+F1?
This should switch you to a console (tty1) where you can recover your session either by killing Diablo\ 3.exe or doing a "sudo service lightdm restart"

I have tried that and unfortunatly it is a no-go. It completely locks up my machine.

Well, here I am after about 1h and 30 minutes of gameplay. Can't confirm the problem. So it could be that your machine crashes because of overheating or bad drivers.

Always a possiblity. I will look into it. Thank you.

I'm having the same symptoms as described here, except many times it will happen during login just after I enter my username/password and press enter. Whether I make it past the login and into the game or not, the problem is the same: no keyboard commands do anything and mouse only moves around on the screen. The game is completely hung and I am unable to give any command that will get the system out of the state other than resbooting. I haven't been able to try logging into my system remotely in order to kill processes, but I wouldnt' be surprised if that works.

I think this is a matter of the keyboard and mouse events all being captured by the game, and the game being in a state where it cannot handle the events. I'll post with more info when I'm able to test out killing the needed processes via remote login.

I know this issue is not related to overheating, but I can't rule out the possibility of it being related to my graphics driver. Here's my system info:

Hardware:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53GHz (2 Cores), Motherboard: LENOVO 4061BL2, Chipset: Intel Mobile 4 MCH + ICH9M-E, Memory: 8192MB, Disk: 160GB HITACHI HTS72321, Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 512MB, Audio: Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa), Network: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Connection + Intel PRO/Wireless

Software:
OS: Ubuntu 12.04, Kernel: 3.2.0-25-generic (x86_64), Desktop: Unity 2D, Display Server: X Server 1.11.3, Display Driver: fglrx 8.96.4, OpenGL: 3.3.11627, Compiler: GCC 4.6, File-System: ext4, Screen Resolution: 1920x1200

Im also getting random freeze/lock ups during game play but only affects the game i started running in windowed mode just to make sure and it is only the game that freezes for a few seconds every so often....

Ubuntu 10.10 -

I downgraded with a fresh install from 12.04 unity and nvidia just dont play well together but the freezing there was complete machine lock ups....

Joshua Purcell wrote:

I'm having the same symptoms as described here,

What distro / version / arch (32vs64) are you using?

Luis Garcia wrote:

Im also getting random freeze/lock ups during game play but only
affects the game i started running in windowed mode just to make
sure and it is only the game that freezes for a few seconds every so
often....

Ubuntu 10.10 -
AMD 64
Running crossover 11.0.1
Running nvidia driver version 270 for a GTX550Ti

Luis Garcia wrote:

I downgraded with a fresh install from 12.04 unity and nvidia just
dont play well together but the freezing there was complete machine
lock ups....

[code]
Ubuntu 12.04 -
AMD 64
tried the unsopported version and 11.0.1
Running nvidia driver latest from additional drivers

This is a longshot, but Debian has had this issue:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79859

with outdated libXi from ia32-libs. I don't know whether there's any chance that the Ubuntu version's your using suffer from a similar issue (in fact, I think possibly not), but maybe worth a look?

I fixed my own issue it seems. I launched my catalyst and put all my settings back to default as I had them all maxed out, then I did the muti-core tips & tricks bit and have been playing solid for a couple of hours now.

nevermind. spoke to soon. now i cant make it more than 2 minutes in the game before it locks up my machine.

Those of you that use nvidia cards and have the stock driver for them as delivered by ubuntu (version 295.49) could try to update it using the x-swat ppa. This is rather safe, I have been doing updates from it on my previous installs of ubuntu and never had an issue.

So, here's what you have to do:

1) Exit your current Unity session by logging out.
2) Switch to a console by hitting Ctrl+Alt+F1
3) Shutdown the X system by doing a:

sudo service lightdm stop

4) Add the x-swat ppa and update your drivers

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

5) Reboot your machine.

sudo reboot

When you come back up, your nvidia-settings utility should tell you are using version 295.53 of the driver.

Josh DuBois wrote:

Joshua Purcell wrote:

I'm having the same symptoms as described here,

What distro / version / arch (32vs64) are you using?

All relevant hardware/software info should be included in my previous post above, but please let me know if more information would be helpful.

I think some recent changes seem to have helped my random game freezes while on ubuntu oneiric 64-bit and an ATI card. I was using the AMD proprietary driver that was available from the official Ubuntu repos originally, so I followed the instructions at the following link to manually install the latest drivers from AMD:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Oneiric_Installation_Guide

I also ensured that PowerPlay was disabled. When in use, this feature caused bad performance and many artifacts to be displayed throughout the screen. I was only able to test a couple of times without issues, but later tonight I'll do more testing/playing and post how things go afterward.

EDIT: The game is now running great, with hardly any issues. I've decided to lower the resolution down to 1024x768 since I'm running on a fairly old laptop, but I have had many hours of continuous gameplay without any issues. The changes I've made from default settings on oneiric 64-bit is to install the latest AMD video drivers and turn of PowerPlay.

I'm at work right now, so I really can't contribute much about my current situation, but I am experiencing this exact same situation. I'm not on 32 bit ubuntu, so I don't think that the fix above will resolve it.. I have tried to go through those, however. I cannot uninstall the current ATI graphics installation I have, and I cannot install the latest one from the Additional drivers..... =-/ I'll update later with some details for you all, just wanted to put it on the map that this is still a very relevant issue.

Allright, here's my hardware specs for your benefit...

Hardware: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (x 8 cores)
Motherboard: EVGA 132-BL-E758 
Video: Redwood [Radeon HD 5670]
Memory: 6 gig

Video Card Driver info: 
fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5670
OpenGL version string: 4.2.11627 Compatibility Profile Context

I am also using UbuntU 12.04 LTS - 32 bit.

Try setting the Operating system to windows 98, I was having a problem simmilar to this, everything timed out and I had problems using the auction house for more than a few seconds. I tried using windows 7, visa and 2000 settings 98 just seemed to work. it complained about video drivers being out of date but mine are up to date.

1 to 18 of 18

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTm5zaFB6bk50cUFTc1hZQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9