Diablo III Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Poor performance on Diablo III with CX14

Diablo III has become completely unplayable on CX14 (Linux). If I roll back to CX13.2, everything is perfect with good FPS, and perfect performance. Install 14.0 and audio crackles, and the graphics stutter. Immediately roll back to 13.2 and things are fine again.

Nvidia driver = 340.32 (no I'm not magically rolling back to nouveau... that driver is blacklisted and not installed) on a Nvidia GTX660Ti

Edit:
FPS ranges between 2 and 8 on CX14.0.
FPS ranges between 25 and 45 on CX13.2

How on earth are you barely getting 45 fps with a GTX 660Ti? I have a GTX 660 and I'm usually in the 80s even 100 fps. This is on Linux Mint 17 (MATE + Compiz) with an older driver.

Granted, in big fights it tends to go down quite fast, but that was something that was also happening before v. 14.

Do you have any registry entries that disable CSMT? What does cxdiag say?

I have no idea why only 45fps with my video card 😛 I haven't done much tweaking with this game since it "just worked" previously.

I thought maybe the low fps was because I'm driving two monitors off that card, but when I disconnect the second monitor and check fps, while it's slightly higher (on CX13.2), it's not that much different... I hit 55 or 56 fps if I left my char stand still. Note this is on max settings, full screen or windowed at 1920x1080.

I'm using setarch i386 -3 -L -B - to launch the game (documented in the Tips/Tricks)

I'm using dbghelp (native,builtin) as DLL overrides on Diablo III.exe and Diablo III Launcher.exe (documented in the Tips/Tricks)

No other registry entries/changes made.

System is: AMD Phenom II X4 965, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX660Ti, Kernel 3.11.10, openSUSE 13.1, KDE4.14.1

./bin/cxdiag
[MissingLibHal]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libhal.so.1 library"
"Description"="This may be needed for Windows applications to automatically detect CD-ROM and USB key insertion."

[MissingLibOsmesa]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libOSMesa.so.6 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and CAD-like applications to perform off-screen rendering."

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="NVIDIA Corporation"

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.32"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2"

There are a few other tweaks that come to mind:

1) nvidia drivers default to vsync on (called sync to vblank in nvidia-settings). Uncheck it.
2) make sure that powermizer settings are on "Prefer Maximum Performance"
3) make sure your CPU uses the performance governor and not on-demand (the package is called indicator-cpufreq, no idea what it's called on SuSE)

I'm using a 1440x900 display but that fps diff still looks to high :/

Can you check with compositing turned off in KDE? Can you make sure that un-redirected fullscreen (I forget what they call it in KDE) is checked in Kwin settings?

Made a few of the suggested tweaks:

• vsync was on... switched it off.
  • Powermeizer set to max performance
  • CPU was already set to performance (openSUSE uses a package named cpufreq-utils for this).

There was no appreciable difference in fps with those tweaks on cx13.2 - sticks with the 35 to 45 range.

If I install cx14.0, the fps drops to 6 or less while idling in a town, and the audio starts to crackle.

smaug42 wrote:

Made a few of the suggested tweaks:

• vsync was on... switched it off.
  • Powermeizer set to max performance
  • CPU was already set to performance (openSUSE uses a package
    named cpufreq-utils for this).

There was no appreciable difference in fps with those tweaks on
cx13.2 - sticks with the 35 to 45 range.

If I install cx14.0, the fps drops to 6 or less while idling in a
town, and the audio starts to crackle.

(don't do it if you haven't)...

Did you reinstall Diablo III with CrossOver 14?

If not, I think I know what's wrong. With advancements in Wine, there is a registry key that is no longer necessary and can actually break things.

Can you open the registry editor and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D

Then, remove the key for "DirectDrawRenderer"

Now, re-launch with CrossOver and see if Diablo III is more... agreeable.

This is an existing install - the original Diablo III install is "old". I've had the game install around for... over a year.

The Registry path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D doesn't exist in my Diablo III bottle... so unless I'm blind (PEBKAC is entirely possible) this isn't it.

I could create all-new bottles with my CX14. I haven't tried the new bottle route after installing CX14.

Please write in to our Support Team with these issues.

When you do so, please include a copy of the output of:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag &> ~/Desktop/cxdiag.txt

If you have the ability to downgrade to CrossOver 13.2 while we work to triage this issue, please do so.

For distributions using testing libraries, please use one of the builds available here, access code glib2.

For older distributions,

Debian based distributions
RPM based distrbutions
Other distributions

I had some more time to tinker. Steps I did in order:

1 Reboot Linux and try again. Still 2 to 6 fps while using CX14.0

1. Double check all settings, dll overrides etc., and check that Battle.net was up-to-date as well as the game.. Still 2 to 4 fps while using CX14.0
  2. Install (from RPM) CX13.2. Getting 35 to 40 fps while idling.
  3. Install (from RPM) CX14.0 (no restart). Getting 2 to 6 fps.
  4. Install into new bottle with CX14.0. Getting 2 to 6 fps.
  5. Boot to Windows and run Battle.net on the Diablo III install (installed on a common/shared drive). Battle.net applied a small update before launching. Getting 135fps while in Windows.
  6. Boot back to Linux and try again using CX14. Surprise.. now I see 75 to 85 fps while idling in town and 55 to 65 fps while running around.

So... best I can guess, Battle.net did... something... while it was scanning and launching the game. What that was.. I've no idea. A bit weird that I could change the fps so dramatically simply by switching between CX13.2 and CX14.0.

Audio still crackles a bit while playing in Linux, but.. it's minor.

Regarding audio issues, make sure that pulse is configured properly. For example, Ubuntu has these default settings in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

default-fragments = 8
default-fragment-size-msec = 10

Many people, including myself saw that changing default-fragment-size-msec to a lower value fixed a lot of issues. default-fragment-size-msec = 5 solves sound issues with wine for me. No need to reboot after altering that file. Just do pulseaudio -k. On most systems PA is set to simply restart if killed, so that is essentially the way to restart PA.

I have a testing Ubuntu 14.04 install, which I'm testing now and I installed the nvidia supplied driver package. Surprisingly, this is not your dad's installer anymore. It even registers with dkms if that's installed so kernel updates won't break video any more. The 340.46 driver even fixed a really annoying issue where the Unity dock and top bar would flicker when moving windows around :)

Also, you run Diablo III on Linux from an NTFS volume?

I tried the pulseaudio change. On the desktop - no discernible difference. In game, a slight degradation in the audio quality. interacting with NPCs and the speech sounds like... ummm.. warbled... hmmm.. like someone moving their finger quickly up and down their throat while speaking.

Restored the openSUSE defaults (commented out the option) and restarted pulse... audio is smooth again, but crackles a bit. It reminds me of a bad audio jack connection.

Diablo III is installed/running from a drive that is formatted to ext4 (no NTFS on my data/shared drives).

I'm not going to worry too much about this. At this point, it's playable, and I'm seeing 70fps now. openSUSE is coming out with a new release in November (15 days). When that hits, I'll backup, strip my drives bare and reinstall all from scratch - I've got a lot of cruft from experiments and rolling updates that needs to be cleaned out.

the package is called indicator-cpufreq, no idea what it's called on SuSE

Fifa coins
http://www.fifacoinsltd.com/

1 to 12 of 12

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVHdHdWFSdEFYS1pBU3hOcSIsImdkcHIiOjB9