Diablo III Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game hangs when i quit it, reboot needed

Hello,

when i quit diablo 3 the game hangs, i can only move the mouse and i can't kill the game becouse i am
in full screen. Only the music continue to play but the screen is freezed. I have to reset my pc.

I have a ubuntu 14.10, NVIDIA 970GTX with last official drivers installed. Last version of crossover.

Someone have a similar problem or know the fix ?

Thanks.

Hi,

First of all, unless your keyboard stops responding*, there's no reason to ever reboot. That's what one does on Windows. Drop to a console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 (for example), login with your credentials, install htop (sudo apt-get install htop) and run it. Scroll through the process list, find Diablo III and kill it (look in the lower bar of htop. Press the correct function key, in this case F9). Switch back to the pretty desktop by pressing Alt+F7 or Alt+F8

There's a reason why this game still carries a Silver rating.It's affected by these wine bugs:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30849
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33413

The solution is in the Tips&Tricks section. See "Fix: "Removed from Game" and freeze at "Retrieving Heroes""

The script to run D3 looks like this on my machine:

#!/bin/sh

BOTTLE="Diablo_III"
install_dir="/opt"

setarch i386 -3 -L -B -R $install_dir/cxoffice/bin/cxrun --bottle "$BOTTLE" "$HOME/.cxoffice/$BOTTLE/drive_c/Program Files/Battle.net/Battle.net Launcher.exe"

*even if your keyboard stops responding you can usually recover by ssh-ing into your machine from another computer like a laptop or your smartphone. In the worst case you can at least give it a proper reboot command instead of pressing the reset button or power cycling the machine.

I already use the tip explained in 'Removed from Game" and freeze at "Retrieving Heroes' in
order to prevent freeze at retriving heroes :)

If i press alt+ctrl+f1 i see only a black screen and no console, i have read is it a problem with
official nvidia drivers and I don't know how to fix it. I have to fix it in grub but i am new with
ubuntu.

The only solution to not reset is ssh-ing the machine.

Anyway thanks for the reply and sorry for bad english. :/

When you say the latest nvidia drivers do you mean the ones from their repository or the ones installed via the .run installer?

xorg-edgers ubuntu repository, nvidia drivers version 343.36

I tend to stay away from edgers. 343 is a beta driver

The Nvidia drivers will kill the text terminal on some EFI machines, e.g. my Macbook Pros where I am booting Linux through EFI.

Wrt the actual problem: I haven't seen this personally, so I can't give any real help. If you start the game with logging enabled and kill it via ssh the logfile may contain some clues.

Diletti Marco wrote:

If i press alt+ctrl+f1 i see only a black screen and no console, i
have read is it a problem with
official nvidia drivers and I don't know how to fix it. I have to
fix it in grub but i am new with
ubuntu.

Let me help with this because it puzzled me for a time and I'd rather not have someone else going "AHHHH!"

It's "easy" to fix once you know what to do. It's caused by the resolution set at boot not being compatible with your video card configuration (it can happen with both Nvidia and AMD). You are welcome to test if the tty session is actually working by blindly logging in and running something like "top" in the tty session.

You can read the original question and solution here.

On the chance that the topic is removed from Ask Ubuntu, the solution is:

1. Open a terminal with ctrl + alt + T
  2. Paste the following command into terminal and give your password:
    sudo sed -i -e 's/#GRUB_TERMINAL/GRUB_TERMINAL/g' /etc/default/grub
  3. Then, in terminal, do:
    sudo update-grub
  4. Reboot the system and test!
  5. Enjoy!

Basically, the above command says, in "/etc/default/grub" find the text "#GRUB_TERMINAL" and replace it with "GRUB_TERMINAL". The "#" comments out the value, effectively disabling it. In the grub file, the line looks like this:

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

By removing the "#", the setting is enabled and it ignores the configuration your grahics driver tells the tty session about.

Welcome to Ubuntu!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOHMydEJUd1dCd2V4dUt5diIsImdkcHIiOjB9