Diablo III Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Hardware Suggestions: Testing Performance

I'm in the process of converting to a Linux-only setup at home. In the past, I've dual-booted with Windows in order to play D3 because I found D3 under CX to sometimes get choppy in full groups.

My current system:
Ubuntu 15.04 64-bit
MSI Geforce GTX 560 Ti 448 750Mhz 1280MB
Intel Core i5 3570k
16GB DDR3 ram
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD

I plan on upgrading my SSD to a larger size, but I was wondering about my video card. If I upgraded my card to something a little more recent like the 750/950/960 , will I notice a big performance increase with a game like D3, or am I bottlenecked by the compatibility layer of CX/Wine when it comes to performance?

How can I test my current FPS in D3, is there some sort of command to display it on screen like with TF2?

To display FPS in Diablo 3 you press Ctrl +R.

I have a GTX 660 and when a lot of stuff happens on screen, FPS tends to plummet seriously. Wine still has performance issues with this game. Also, don't replace the 560 ti with a 750 or 950. They're not even in the same league. The 960 is not a future proof GPU. Newer games will want to use more than 2GB VRAM. If you can, get a GTX 970 or wait for the new generation of GPUs in 2016. I'm trying to "limp" along until then myself :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I had no idea how the generations of Nvidia cards compared with each other. I guess I'll hold out until a new generation comes along. At least I have a new SSD on the way.

Corey Quilliam wrote:

At least I have a new SSD on the way.

SSDs are a huge improvement. I just wish I used less space so I could have both my OS and data drives be SSDs. Currently I am going thru 5TB of storage (nearly), so SSDs are not viable there. But as an OS drive -- dear God, its nuts how different system updates behave and application load times.

Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

To display FPS in Diablo 3 you press Ctrl +R.

I have a GTX 660 and when a lot of stuff happens on screen, FPS
tends to plummet seriously. Wine still has performance issues with
this game. Also, don't replace the 560 ti with a 750 or 950. They're
not even in the same league. The 960 is not a future proof GPU.
Newer games will want to use more than 2GB VRAM. If you can, get a
GTX 970 or wait for the new generation of GPUs in 2016. I'm trying
to "limp" along until then myself :)

No real issues myself in D3 here. Now that wine likes loading it up without some massive magic voodoo ritual it runs quite nicely.

For the record I started off on an i7-960 + 12GB Ram and am now on an i5-4460 + 32GB ram. Each use my older yet stable and fast enough 560ti 2Gb Nvidia. This game is quite playable at all times. Perhaps there is a GPU setting or whatnot that I do not have enabled/disabled and you do that is changing the performance. I had used the guides from back at launch to get it going and frankly, other than reverting from the custom launcher, no other changes have been made (well OS updates -- RHEL 6 -> 7 ... but I don't think that matters).

That said, I do agree with the holding off. The price/performance curve isn't there yet for the current gen cards. Barely double the performance for $700 is not my idea of a deal. I recall the days of triple performance every two years at the $200 price point. Not saying that we are going to see that ever again, but to go from that to anything else just isnt cost effective.

I purchased a 500GB ssd, and that seems quite big enough to hold all my active games/software. For storage purposes, I have a server with 8TB free that I have mounted, so that allows me plenty of space.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidWRKV0hkeGVGVFVaYTdDbSIsImdkcHIiOjB9