Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Wikipedia on DNS to run under Linux

Hi,

according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_NaturallySpeaking) DNS 9 and is predecessors should run under Linux using wine

In addition, certain versions of NaturallySpeaking (7,8,9) can be
run on Linux operating systems using the WINE open-source
implementation system. The implementation does not give full Windows
functionality, concentrating instead on text-recognition capability
using the included DragonPad.

They should run with crossover then, shouldn't they?

Most likely they run under a newer version of wine, than the one that is currently included in crossover. If that is the case, then the next crossover release will support them.

That article over states the reality; it was a bit too rose colored. DNS
has worked with an awful lot of kludges and elbow grease, and the result was
barely usable. So I wouldn't really call it working with Wine.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that we're working very hard as we speak to change that in Wine; so hopefully
it will be working cleanly with CrossOver 7.

Cheers,

Jeremy

When is Crossover 7 likely due though? DNS 9 is half off right now.. a shame it won't be worth it if we have to wait so long to use. By then there could be another version, a better deal.

Hard to say; we're closing in on it now, but the final polish always takes longer than we'd like.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your perspective, Nuance is going to be making a native
Mac version of Dragon, which is going to cause us to lower our priority for it, I'm afraid.

Well, I must say that I read some artciles about the software called Dictate made by Macspeech. It seems to be very great. The only problem, it's not available in french as Dragon Naturally Speaking is. So, I would be very pleased to have a Crossover version who support Dragon.

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but want to say how much I would love Crossover to work out making Naturally Speaking for Linux. I use it all the time for my work at school and now a lot of others are as well. It doesn't appear that Nuance will ever make it for Linux (I use Ubuntu) and there are lots of friends I know who would be more than happy to buy Crossover than keep using Windows.

Anyway, just my dime's worth..

Paul 😊

I've been testing DNS 10 w/ cx linux 8.0 and have gotten some results. I wouldn't call it ready for production but it's definitely progress. I got it to work on Dragon Pad and recognize my voice.

Interesting I will have to give 10 a try.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoienBBUTJWdFFiWThITlBaQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9