Dreamfall: The Longest Journey Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam install plays flawlessly under 8.1.3

I've only played through the first two chapters on 8.1.3, but it's very smooth, no glitches of any kind. This is a vanilla install through Steam.

When you said "install through Steam," did you mean that you installed it in Crossover Games using the install file downloaded through Steam's site?

Sorry -- noob here. :D

Yes: when you buy a game through Steam, you install it using the steam client. The game runs fine under version 8.1.3 of Crossover Games when installed that way.

Charles wrote:

Yes: when you buy a game through Steam, you install it using the
steam client. The game runs fine under version 8.1.3 of Crossover
Games when installed that way.

HOW do you do this??
I purchased the game on Steam; I downloaded the Steam application. But now within the Steam app, I am told that the game is not available for my platform. How do I get from CrossOver Games, to Steam, to the game... or whatever combination I need?
I tried to select the Steam app as my "installer" in CrossOver Games, but it won't take it.

kathpdx, you have confused the Mac-native version of Steam with the Windows version of Steam.

CrossOver Games is for running Windows games (and games platforms like Steam) on the Mac. Within CrossOver Games, from the Configure menu, select Install Software. From the list of applications, select Steam. CrossOver knows how to download the Windows version of Steam, and several things it depends on, and install them. So, just click the Install button and proceed through the steps.

Once that completes, you'll launch Steam from the Programs menu within CrossOver games, or using the launcher mini-application that CrossOver creates in ~/Applications/CrossOver Games (the "~" means your home folder, so this is not the Applications folder at the root of your boot drive).

You can still use the Mac-native Steam for games which are available natively for the Mac, but you should run the Windows version of Steam through CrossOver Games for games which are not available for the Mac. You should probably not have both running at the same time.

Ken!
Thanks so much! I would never have guessed that!
Now I have loaded Steam through CO G, I have downloaded Dreamfall... and it all seemed to be going great... until I needed to use my keyboard or my mouse. (Erratic, non-responsive).
If you can provide me with any directions for information on this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. I will try to find it myself in the meantime. I just want to get this all working before my demo/7 days run out to make sure I don't go buying something ELSE I can't use!!

Thanks again!!
Kath

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about keyboard and mouse behavior in Dreamfall, and I don't own it to do any testing.

Can you describe what's happening in greater detail? In what way is the game unresponsive to your keyboard or mouse actions? When you say it's erratic, do you mean there is some response sometimes and none other times?

I am trying to run it on my macbook pro. It installs fine from either DVD or steam client, I have tried both but the same problem exists. The cursor just goes crazy (scrolls down the screen really rapidly) and it is really hard to select or do anything at all. A pity because otherwise it looks great and when you do eventually get into the game it plays beautifully, although the same problem arises when you try to use the eye to look around.

Ian's problem is exactly mine. Looks great, but the mouse cursor drags hopelessly down to the bottom of the screen.

I downloaded it through Steam. I'm using an iMac with a Magic Mouse, but that can't be the problem if it's doing the same thing with a MacBook.

Pretty annoying since I bought Crossover Games specifically so that I could play this game, and afterwards I bought this game through Steam! I'll answer whatever specs details are necessary.

Actually, it's worse than that for me. I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and CG 9.1, and I decided to give it a go past the menu screen. The color is wrong: hard to describe, but things look almost like a negative: The characters' hair and eyes are white, for instance. I'm putting in a ticket.

I got around the cursor problem by running in a virtual desktop but there is still graphical issues.

Something in the new version of Crossover must have been broken as I am now getting the negative colour effect in Dreamfall were in the old version at least it looked ok.

1 to 12 of 12

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidzI1cnY5ZlFBc0FWYjVYdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9