Dungeons & Dragons Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crash before character selection screen

Hello,

I'm trying to get DDO working in CrossOver Games, and it seems I've encountered all the possible and probably some impossible failures I ever could. I've solved issue with PyLoTRo crashing upon clicking Patch option, I've solved issue with missing ddo.keymap file, but the game still keep crashing after loading screen, just before character selection screen. This is what can be found in dndclient.log:

000000017.661: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Validating credentials...
164949034.050: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Loading subscription data...
164949034.082: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Loading character data...
164949034.141: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_WorldName: Argonnessen
164949034.801: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Receiving character data...
164949034.801: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_CharSet: called.
164949043.486: ----CRASH REPORT START----
164949043.486: Program fault: ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) trying to read from 0x00000000
164949043.486: Detailed report:

It is the same with Vertex Shader disabled and enabled. My Mac is a MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo processor and nVidia GeForce 320M card. DDO was installed using the CrossTie method into fresh bottle.

Has anyone ever encountered this error? Any tips & trick as to what should I try?

Milan Vít wrote:

Any tips & trick as to what should I try?

Did you look at the First item in "Tips & Tricks" -- "Client crashing just before character selection screen"?

I believe that fix works with both OSX and Linux -- apparently there are two different versions of that particular DLL.

Openal isn't the culprit - I just checked ; make no difference is the native version is used.

Update;

...either turbine fixed something, or, I've stumbled onto a remedy. What I did
was make an archive of the DDO bottle on the Mac, and restored that on my linux
box just to see if it would work ; it did without problems, but I noticed that it
was running with fullscreen off ...

.... when I checked the ~/Documents/Dungeons and Dragons Online/UserPreferences.ini
config file on the Mac, I discovered the associated setting was set to 'FullScreen=True' ;
once I changed that to False, and restarted things, it all worked fine.

..perhaps someone else might try this and let us know if it works for you?

Cheers!

Apologies for a very late answer! I gave up shortly after writing my initial post and installed DDO on Windows, but I'll try again on Mac, using Crossover Games, and the tips you posted. Will let you know if it worked as soon as possible!

I'm afraid I'm still not being lucky. I installed DDO into a fresh bottle (yet again), followed the guide precisely, tried to start the game without any edits – no luck, everything is just like it was one month ago. Then I edited the UserPreferences.ini file, DDO started in window mode, but after the progress bar “Loading… Please Wait” reached 100%, nothing else happened – as shown at the screenshot.

This was in the dndclient.log:

000000013.786: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Validating credentials...
168062397.316: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Loading subscription data...
168062397.316: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Loading character data...
168062397.316: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Cleaning up old connection...
168062397.507: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Loading subscription data...
168062397.507: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Loading character data...
168062397.571: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_WorldName: Argonnessen
168062397.766: C:\users\crossover\My Documents\Dungeons and Dragons Online\\ddo.keymap: error: Failed to open file after 1 attempt.
168062398.202: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Receiving character data...
168062398.202: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_CharSet: called.
168062407.695: ----CRASH REPORT START----
168062407.695: Program fault: ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) trying to read from 0x00000000
168062407.695: Detailed report:

Milan Vít wrote:

This was in the dndclient.log:

168062407.695: ----CRASH REPORT START----
168062407.695: Program fault: ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) trying to read from 0x00000000
168062407.695: Detailed report:

This is an actual Turbine Client crash:

This was the exact problem I was experiencing: see Tips & Tricks: ** Client crashing just before character selection screen**

The next screen to appear would be character generation screen.

Don't know what else to suggest.

BTW: the grey cross hatch screen are Turbine "transition" screens which PyLotRO can't find. I keep a set on my website:

http://www.mcgillsociety.org/PyLotRO/index.html

I'm so sorry, I forgot to mention that I have, indeed, tried that, with no success. Just to make sure I did everything right, I went to “Configure –> Manage Bottles…” menu, selected “Dungeons and Dragons Online” entry, clicked “Control Panel” tab, selected “Wine Configuration” option, and confirmed with “Launch Selected Item” button. In newly opened window, I went to the “Libraries” tab, tried adding “openal32.dll”, “ openal32”, “openal.dll” and “openal” (different how-tos on the Internet suggest different value, tried each of them separately), clicked “Add” button. Verified that “openal32 (native, builtin)” option is selected, then clicked “Edit…” button. In newly opened modal window, selected “Native (Windows)”. Clicked OK twice to close modal window and Wine configuration, then closed “Manage Bottles” window.

Is that right? I'm afraid it did not help ☹️ Or am I missing a step? Will check the link you posted, thanks!

Milan Vít wrote:

Is that right? I'm afraid it did not help ☹️ Or am I missing a
step? Will check the link you posted, thanks!

Sadly (or happily) you did all the right things.

I had the same problem -- things broke with DDO Update 5 in ?june of 2010? and I went until sometime in February, when someone told me about the audio dll issue.... which fixed it for me.

The only other thing which I am finding as I look through the old posts is the EULA issue -- but that is a different "hang", not the client crash.

I just checked my copy against the 10.1.1 RC beta and it still works.

This is a long thread that talks about some of the issues...
"Anyone able to run the DDO update 7? "

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4048;forum=1;msg=92205

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiU3VNcjJ4QndRbVBRU1lCQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9